new 8.0 version does not install

Howesal

new 8.0 version does not install
I have a Visa Dell lap top with version 8.0 and a XP Dell PC with version 7.0.
Both are on automatic daily updates. I manually updated the PC but no
Version 8.0. I am having problem with signing in to web pages each time I
move to new page. My companies back pages gives error says "cookies must be
enabled" I have the security cookies as low as it goes.
Shenan Stanley

Re: new 8.0 version does not install
Howesal wrote:
> I have a Visa Dell lap top with version 8.0 and a XP Dell PC with
> version 7.0. Both are on automatic daily updates. I manually
> updated the PC but no Version 8.0. I am having problem with
> signing in to web pages each time I move to new page. My companies
> back pages gives error says "cookies must be enabled" I have the
> security cookies as low as it goes.

Did you buy your Dell laptop using a VISA credit card or did you buy a Dell
laptop with Windows Vista?
(Yes - I am being facetious because you have left so much to the
imagination.)

I guess you believe heavily in just making people assume things. Here you
are in a Microsoft Windows Update newsgroup speaking of "version 8.0" and
"version 7.0" but never actually specifying what the application is.

Yep - most will assume, probably correctly - that you mean "Internet
Explorer". Most will also pick up that you have two Dell computers
(laptops) - one having Windows XP and one having Windows Vista.

So - let's expand on your problem and see what (if anything) it has to do
with Windows Updates.

You have two laptops (both purchased/built by Dell) and one has Windows XP
(what edition and what service pack?) and one has Windows Vista (what
editions and what service pack?) and the Windows XP machine still has
Internet Explorer 7 installed while the Windows Vista machine has Internet
Explorer 8 installed.

I am guess you are wondering why the Windows XP machine does not have
Internet Explorer 8 installed yet - when you have supposedly updated it
manually, etc.

After that - things start to lose their reasoning. I guess you having
issues (on the Windows XP machine only? With Internet Explorer 7 that is?)
getting to certain web pages and you believe (likely incorrectly) that if
you had Internet Explorer 8 - you would be okay.

Here's the thing.

1) You can install Internet Explorer 8 by visiting a web page, downloading
and installing Internet Explorer 8 and it will work - if you have the proper
service packs installed.
2) If you had manually updated the Windows XP machine (through
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ --> Custom scan) you would have likely
found, if you paid attention to all the options, the installation of
Internet Explorer 8 offered as long as you have the proper service packs
installed.

** 3) ** This is the big one - installing Internet Explorer 8 is unlikely to
solve the issues you are having.

So, where do you go from here?

Probably need to do a few things - including, but not limited to - providing
more information about your system and problem so you can get directed help.

You might provide the exact edition (Home, Professional, Media Center,
Professional x64, or Tablet PC) of your Windows XP laptop along with what
service pack level (none, 1a, 2 or 3) it is at and the same for your Windows
Vista laptop (Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate; no SP, SP1 or
SP2.) Not sure how to provide that? Won't learn any younger:

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and flavor) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.

Post _both_ in response to this message verbatim. ;-)

Once you have provided that - be sure that when you post, you give the full
name of products you are referring to. 'version 7.0' is just not very
descriptive - for I have no idea whay you have WordPerfect 7.0 on anything
now. (See what I mean?)

Now - for your Windows XP machine - you could have issues with
spyware/adware/malware. Here's the first thing I suggest on that system
(JUST the Windows XP one for now)...

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

You can perform the first three links (SuperAntiSpyware, MalwareBytes and
MSRT) on your Windows Vista machine too - in fact - why not. Might as well
make sure they are clean of spyware/adware as well right off the bat before
you come back and give us more details on your actual issue.

And that is where we are at now - your actual issue. Seems to be with a
specific web page - perhaps it requires Java or a certain version of
Microsoft office. I seriously doubt it requires Internet Explorer 8 (I
doubt it even requires Internet Explorer - FireFox, Opera, Safari are all
viable web browsers.) So you may need to ask the tech support for your
company what the requirements are to view/use the company web page -
especially over the Internet (not within their intranet - or private
network.)

As for what to give here - give any errors you get verbatim - word-for-word.
Don't paraphrase them or try to explain what you think they mean - just copy
them down and repeat them. Give - in your own words with as much detail as
possible - what the difference is that you see when trying on one of your
machines as opposed to the other.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Gordon

"Howesal" <Howesal@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a Visa Dell lap top with version 8.0 and a XP Dell PC with version
> 7.0.
> Both are on automatic daily updates. I manually updated the PC but no
> Version 8.0. I am having problem with signing in to web pages each time I
> move to new page. My companies back pages gives error says "cookies must
> be
> enabled" I have the security cookies as low as it goes.

Version 7 and 8 of WHAT?

Hudon

"Howesal" wrote:

> I have a Visa Dell lap top with version 8.0 and a XP Dell PC with version 7.0.
> Both are on automatic daily updates. I manually updated the PC but no
> Version 8.0. I am having problem with signing in to web pages each time I
> move to new page. My companies back pages gives error says "cookies must be
> enabled" I have the security cookies as low as it goes.

Re: new 8.0 version does not install
Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:

In your newsreader:

www.banthecheck.com