The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows serv

Sandeep

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows serv
Recently, my computer got hit by virus. And it changed the automatic updates
seetings. I tried to change it but it denies the acces.

To change the seetings back to Automaitc. I followoed these steps.

To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Shenan Stanley

Re: The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows serv
Sandeep wrote:
> Recently, my computer got hit by virus. And it changed the
> automatic updates seetings. I tried to change it but it denies the
> acces.
>
> To change the seetings back to Automaitc. I followoed these steps.
>
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and
> then click Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Sure you are cleaned up?

ASSUMING Windows XP (you might want to clarify that.)

Follow these directions very carefully and methodically.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you should have SP3 installed - if not - you can
do that *later* - it is not necessary to continue with the cleanup.)

Reboot and ...

Search your registry for %fystem and replace the "f" with an "s". May be
three or four matches, may be none. You may even have to take ownership
(even after doing the above) of the keys in order to make the change.

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.
Installing the latest updates may have you rebooting several times,
which is fine - but after you are sure you are done - still...

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

In any case - no matter what - when you are done doing whatever you decide
to do - please - come back here and let everyone know what you did and
how things turned out.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

The

RE: The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows serv
Why not try a system restore? (All settings will be restored)
First a system restore to a moment before the virus was intergrated, than a
full (preferably external) virusscan. Did work for me...

"Sandeep" wrote:

> Recently, my computer got hit by virus. And it changed the automatic updates
> seetings. I tried to change it but it denies the acces.
>
> To change the seetings back to Automaitc. I followoed these steps.
>
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>
> Does anyone know how to fix this problem?

Re: The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows serv
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

You have much more work to do!

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**