Windows Automatic update services fails to start

kamran

Windows Automatic update services fails to start
Error 80004015 The class is configured to run as a security id different from
the caller.
I get this error on 5 PCs out of the 30 PCs all running XP SP3 in a Active
Directory Domain running Enterprise 2008 32bit edition.

I ran the following set of commands, which you will see below and it worked
well and I was able to get the update service running. However when you
reboot the PCs it will go back to exactly the same error. Any clues?? It must
be the server security policy perhaps doing this?? What steps can I take to
correct this on the server. Please help!

Thanks,
Kamran

For the most part - I will assume you have Windows XP 32-bit of some flavor
with at least SP1a - hopefully SP2 or above.

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you either have or should get SP3, but not now.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

..... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot.

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Re: Windows Automatic update services fails to start
> ...when you
> reboot the PCs it will go back to exactly the same error. Any clues??

The computers are still infested with hijackware that SAS and your MBAM
version and the MSRT either do not detect or cannot fully remove.

Wipe & reload.