Re: Windows update Service fails to start Error 80004015

Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]

Re: Windows update Service fails to start Error 80004015
Update services

Try

Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services
MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"kamran" <kamran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>> >
>> > Reboot and ...
>> >
>> > Download/install this:
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
>> >
>> > After installing, do the following:
>> >
>> > Start button --> RUN --> type in:
>> > "%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
>> > --> Click OK.
>> > (The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)
>> >
>> > Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately)
>> > with
>> > the
>> > following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for
>> > this):
>> >
>> > SuperAntiSpyware
>> > http://www.superantispyware.com/
>> >
>> > MalwareBytes
>> > http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>> >
>> > After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
>> > whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
>> > if you wish.
>> >
>> > Download and run the MSRT manually:
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>> >
>> > Reboot.
>> >
>> > Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
>> > ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>> >
>> > Reboot.
>> >
>> > and...
>> >
>> > Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here
>> > (x86):
>> > http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
>> > .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the
>> > root
>> > of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>> >
>> > Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>> >
>> > Start button --> RUN and type in:
>> > %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
>> > --> Click OK.
>> >
>> > (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and
>> > click
>> > on
>> > NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>> >
>> > Reboot.
>> >
>> > Then follow the instructions here:
>> >
>> > How do I reset Windows Update components?
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>> >
>> > Reboot.
>> >
>> > CHKDSK
>> > How to scan your disks for errors
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
>> > * will take time and a reboot.
>> >
>> > Defragment
>> > How to Defragment your hard drives
>> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
>> > * will take time
>> >
>> > Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
>> > manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
>> > for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.
>> >
>> > Reboot.
>> >
>> > Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
>> > and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
>> > CUSTOM scan...

Re: Windows update Service fails to start Error 80004015
cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5716655d4d8af#