Vista (x64) service pack 2 update error

Danny D

Vista (x64) service pack 2 update error
When i attempt to update and install the new service pack 2 on my laptop i
recive the following message after the update had been downloaded:

the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).

it gives me and unknown error code and terminates the process. anyone got
any info to hep me out?

Re: Vista (x64) service pack 2 update error
Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support for Windows
Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) is valid until November 26, 2009. Availability of
chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=582034 &
select appropriate category (i.e., Download issue; Installation issue;
Issues after you install a service pack).

You'll find additional support for Vista SP2 issues in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general newsgroup and in these forums:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...stawu/threads/

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...nstall/threads

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...stasp/threads/
www.banthecheck.com

Danny D wrote:
> When i attempt to update and install the new service pack 2 on my laptop i
> recive the following message after the update had been downloaded:
>
> the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).
>
> it gives me and unknown error code and terminates the process. anyone got
> any info to hep me out?

Robert Aldwinckle

"Danny D" <Danny D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E2A6B9B5-AC54-4394-B69A-69C3A271B18D@microsoft.com...
> When i attempt to update and install the new service pack 2 on my laptop i
> recive the following message after the update had been downloaded:
>
> the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).
>
> it gives me and unknown error code and terminates the process. anyone got
> any info to hep me out?

Search your drive for the diagnostics that the install created.
Find the context in them for this error. One possibility is that
the code represents a crash recovery in which case a particular
module and offset might be reported by the Event log.
You could supplement whatever diagnostics you do manage to find
by rerunning the install while running ProcMon to trace all the associated
file and registry accesses.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

TaurArian

Danny D wrote:
:: When i attempt to update and install the new service pack 2 on my
:: laptop i recive the following message after the update had been
:: downloaded:
::
:: the application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000005).
::
:: it gives me and unknown error code and terminates the process.
:: anyone got any info to hep me out?

WindowsUpdate_00000005" "WindowsUpdate_dt000

Here are a few steps for troubleshooting that may be necessary in resolving
this error.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click
Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator.

2. Click Continue or provide Administrator credentials as needed.

3. In the Command Prompt window type the following and press Enter after
each line:

sc config wuauserv start= auto

sc config bits start= auto

sc config DcomLaunch start= auto

net stop wuauserv

net start wuauserv

net stop bits

net start bits

net stop cryptsvc

net start cryptsvc

exit

4. Now click Start, click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.

Check for and try to install updates to see if the issue is now resolved.

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: Vista (x64) service pack 2 update error
Also see:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...4-7de8448ef70e