"Microsoft" folder runs at startup

hafcanadian

"Microsoft" folder runs at startup
The Windows Live discussion group didn't come up with a solution that works
for everyone, including me. Since installing a new version of Windows Live a
few weeks ago, whenever I turn on my system a folder window opens on the
desktop entitled "Microsoft" (a program folder). Originally a single subfile
within that was "Search Enhancement Pack", and within that is a file called
"Choice Guard". Attempts to stop that annoying window from loading at
Startup have failed.

I just installed a new version of Windows Live, and hoped MS had fixed this
glitch. But, no, it still loads at Startup, and this time there is a second
subfolder in it called Office Live or something. Some suggestions in the
Windows Live group entailed basically uninstalling folders, via Run > regedit
> msiexec/x{product ID}. That apparently removes the programs and is not a

practical solution. Other solutions suggested tweaking things in Startup
under the Run > msconfig application, uncheck "point 32", which worked for
some I guess, but not me.

Any other idea how to stop the "Microsoft" program folder window from
appearing on my otherwise clean desktop at Startup?
--
hafcanadian

Re: "Microsoft" folder runs at startup
Your problem has nothing to do with Windows Update functionality.

That being said, see if uninstalling anything named Windows Live and then
running the Windows Live (beta) removal tool (see Step #4 in the Resolution
section of the KB referenced below) resolves the behavior.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940065
www.banthecheck.com

hafcanadian wrote:
> The Windows Live discussion group didn't come up with a solution that
> works
> for everyone, including me. Since installing a new version of Windows
> Live
> a few weeks ago, whenever I turn on my system a folder window opens on the
> desktop entitled "Microsoft" (a program folder). Originally a single
> subfile within that was "Search Enhancement Pack", and within that is a
> file called "Choice Guard". Attempts to stop that annoying window from
>
> I just installed a new version of Windows Live, and hoped MS had fixed
> this
> glitch. But, no, it still loads at Startup, and this time there is a
> second
> subfolder in it called Office Live or something. Some suggestions in the
> Windows Live group entailed basically uninstalling folders, via Run >
> regedit
>> msiexec/x{product ID}. That apparently removes the programs and is not a

> practical solution. Other solutions suggested tweaking things in Startup
> under the Run > msconfig application, uncheck "point 32", which worked for
> some I guess, but not me.
>
> Any other idea how to stop the "Microsoft" program folder window from
> appearing on my otherwise clean desktop at Startup?

hafcanadian

Re: "Microsoft" folder runs at startup
Sorry, PA Bear, I uninstalled all the "Live" I could find, and downloaded and
ran the WL-Beta-Remove.zip file, but in restarting the computer, the
Microsoft program folder window still opened upon startup; this time only
the Search Enhancement Pack subfolder was in it, and the Office Live
subfolder was gone.
--
hafcanadian

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Your problem has nothing to do with Windows Update functionality.
>
> That being said, see if uninstalling anything named Windows Live and then
> running the Windows Live (beta) removal tool (see Step #4 in the Resolution
> section of the KB referenced below) resolves the behavior.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940065
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> hafcanadian wrote:
> > The Windows Live discussion group didn't come up with a solution that
> > works
> > for everyone, including me. Since installing a new version of Windows
> > Live
> > a few weeks ago, whenever I turn on my system a folder window opens on the
> > desktop entitled "Microsoft" (a program folder). Originally a single
> > subfile within that was "Search Enhancement Pack", and within that is a
> > file called "Choice Guard". Attempts to stop that annoying window from
> >
> > I just installed a new version of Windows Live, and hoped MS had fixed
> > this
> > glitch. But, no, it still loads at Startup, and this time there is a
> > second
> > subfolder in it called Office Live or something. Some suggestions in the
> > Windows Live group entailed basically uninstalling folders, via Run >
> > regedit
> >> msiexec/x{product ID}. That apparently removes the programs and is not a

> > practical solution. Other solutions suggested tweaking things in Startup
> > under the Run > msconfig application, uncheck "point 32", which worked for
> > some I guess, but not me.
> >
> > Any other idea how to stop the "Microsoft" program folder window from
> > appearing on my otherwise clean desktop at Startup?

Re: "Microsoft" folder runs at startup
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) so
that I might point you to an appropriate newsgroup for further assistance.

PS: Try running the Beta Remover a second time but only after closing all
open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar...including IE
and any Office application).

PA Bear-
My version of Windows is XP SP3.
--
hafcanadian

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) so
> that I might point you to an appropriate newsgroup for further assistance.
>
> PS: Try running the Beta Remover a second time but only after closing all
> open applications (i.e., anything with an icon on the taskbar...including IE
> and any Office application).
>

> hafcanadian wrote:
> > Sorry, PA Bear, I uninstalled all the "Live" I could find, and downloaded
> > and ran the WL-Beta-Remove.zip file, but in restarting the computer, the
> > Microsoft program folder window still opened upon startup; this time only
> > the Search Enhancement Pack subfolder was in it, and the Office Live
> > subfolder was gone.
> >
> >> Your problem has nothing to do with Windows Update functionality.
> >>
> >> That being said, see if uninstalling anything named Windows Live and then
> >> running the Windows Live (beta) removal tool (see Step #4 in the
> >> Resolution
> >> section of the KB referenced below) resolves the behavior.
> >>
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940065
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

B.D.©

hafcanadian wrote:
> PA Bear-
> My version of Windows is XP SP3.

Just on a hunch (based on an old Windows issue) check this.

Start/run regedit, navigate to this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer

Look for a sub-key below this branch called "desktopprocess". If the key
exists, click on it and delete it. Then close the registry editor and
restart your system
hafcanadian

Re: "Microsoft" folder runs at startup
B.D.-c -
No luck there... there was no subfolder called "desktopprocess" down that
branch.

Just noticed on my wife's Dell laptop running Vista, and that also has
Windows Live software, that the Microsoft program folder does not appear at
Startup. Her Windows Live was installed last April. The problem on the XP
desktop began with the Windows Live update a month or two ago. So don't know
if it's germane only to XP or the recent version of Live. I suspect XP,
because over on the Windows Live forum this problem has perplexed people
since at least last December; though I didn't pay attention as to whether any
Vista people were among the complainers. I just know it's not a problem with
the April version of Live on my wife's Vista laptop.
--
hafcanadian