Windows Update error Code 42B trying to install update KB955706

Carlo

Windows Update error Code 42B trying to install update KB955706
Hey, please help!

Whenever i try to install an update from windows update, i get an error. I
have tried researching the problem to find a solution but i cant. There seems
to be no solution. Can you please help? When i try to install the update,
everything goes fine, it creates a restore point and then says installing 1
of 1. I wait a minute or two and then it says

Some updates weren't installed

Error(s) found:
Code 42B Windows Update encountered an unknown error

The update i am trying to install is Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706).

Also tryed to DISABLE any anti-virus or Firewall programs then went into
safe mode and download the update maunelly, and nothing...

THIS PROBLEM IS KEEPING ME OUTDATED ON WINDOWS VISTA SP2.. PLEASE HELP!!

Thanks in advance.

Carlo.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Windows Update error Code 42B trying to install update KB955706
Carlo,

Have you tried downloading the update from the Microsoft download center, and
then installing it in Safe Mode?

Harry.

Carlo wrote:

> Hey, please help!
>
> Whenever i try to install an update from windows update, i get an error. I
> have tried researching the problem to find a solution but i cant. There seems
> to be no solution. Can you please help? When i try to install the update,
> everything goes fine, it creates a restore point and then says installing 1
> of 1. I wait a minute or two and then it says
>
> Some updates weren't installed
>
> Error(s) found:
> Code 42B Windows Update encountered an unknown error
>

> The update i am trying to install is Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
> Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706).
>
> Also tryed to DISABLE any anti-virus or Firewall programs then went into
> safe mode and download the update maunelly, and nothing...
>
> THIS PROBLEM IS KEEPING ME OUTDATED ON WINDOWS VISTA SP2.. PLEASE HELP!!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Carlo.

Carlo

RE: Windows Update error Code 42B trying to install update KB955706
Yes i have, with no satisfactory results. :s I also installed Vista SP2 and
tryed again... nothing.

Tks.

"Carlo" wrote:

> Hey, please help!
>
> Whenever i try to install an update from windows update, i get an error. I
> have tried researching the problem to find a solution but i cant. There seems
> to be no solution. Can you please help? When i try to install the update,
> everything goes fine, it creates a restore point and then says installing 1
> of 1. I wait a minute or two and then it says
>
> Some updates weren't installed
>
> Error(s) found:
> Code 42B Windows Update encountered an unknown error
>

> The update i am trying to install is Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express
> Edition Service Pack 3 (KB955706).
>
> Also tryed to DISABLE any anti-virus or Firewall programs then went into
> safe mode and download the update maunelly, and nothing...
>
> THIS PROBLEM IS KEEPING ME OUTDATED ON WINDOWS VISTA SP2.. PLEASE HELP!!
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Carlo.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Windows Update error Code 42B trying to install update KB955706
Carlo,

Look in C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Bootstrap\LOG\Hotfix\SQL9Express_Hotfix_KB955706_S QLEXPR.EXE\Files; there should
be a number of log files there. I'm hoping one of these will provide you with a
more useful error message.

You could also try the solution from this thread:

<http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.sqlserver.server& tid=a420eb75-05ed-4c3d-a8fa-c8c8bcef4df6&cat=&lang=&cr=&sloc=&p=1>

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&cr=&sloc=&p=1

Look at the last post, by Topspeak.

Harry.