Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426) fails

Jack Parry

Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426) fails
Window XP Pro (32)
Several weeks ago an update failed and has tried several times with no luck.
Error Code: 0x8007F007
Installed WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe but didn't help.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Security Update for Windows XP (KB959426) fails
Jack Parry wrote:
> Window XP Pro (32)
> Several weeks ago an update failed and has tried several times with
> no luck. Error Code: 0x8007F007
> Installed WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe but didn't help.

Assuming that is all you have done...
(And in one case - making you do it again - but with a twist...)

Looking at the KnowledgeBase Article for it...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959426

There's always this option:
----------
How to obtain help and support for this security update

the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552
----------

Above and beyond that, you could download and attempt to install the update
manually. You can download it for your OS here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7-08bce9b2d4f6

If it successfully installs, you are golden. If it does not, you might want
to get the last 50 lines or so of the WindowsUpdate.log file and post them
here for us to look at and possibly learn more about why this is happening.
If you need to know how to do that:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type:
%windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Let's say you do all that and still want to keep trying, you can look at
these two KB Articles for the common ways to troubleshoot such problems:

How to troubleshoot common Windows Update, Microsoft Update,
and Windows Server Update Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update
when you are repeatedly offered an update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

If that does not resolve your issue - there is a procedure that can help
cleanup your machine, update certain components and all but ensure your
Windows Update system is in top shape (90%+ effective.)

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you should have SP3 installed - but don't do it
during the cleanup.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

Reboot...

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP