0x80070002

Steve

0x80070002
When i press check for updates, this code pops out. I've tried the methods
suggested by Microsoft (and other replies from the forum) but they don't
solve the problem. It happened after i'd installed the latest updates and
started it the next day.

I'm using a 64bit Vista Home Premium version.

Thanks.
Steve

Shenan Stanley

Re: 0x80070002
Steve wrote:
> When i press check for updates, this code pops out. I've tried the
> methods suggested by Microsoft (and other replies from the forum)
> but they don't solve the problem. It happened after i'd installed
> the latest updates and started it the next day.
>
> I'm using a 64bit Vista Home Premium version.

You followed the Microsoft KnowledgeBase Article for resetting your Windows
Update components?

You scanned with several different antimalware applications to verify your
system was free of malware?

You've disabled you AV software right before trying to obtain updates?

You've verified (if you have a third party firewall solution installed) your
firewall is not the problem?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

MowGreen

Re: 0x80070002
Steve wrote:

> When i press check for updates, this code pops out. I've tried the methods
> suggested by Microsoft (and other replies from the forum) but they don't
> solve the problem. It happened after i'd installed the latest updates and
> started it the next day.
>
> I'm using a 64bit Vista Home Premium version.
>
> Thanks.
> Steve

Steve,

You could try downloading, **saving**, and running the Windows Update
Readiness Tool (CheckSUR) as it was updated and released yesterday.

*PLEASE NOTE* that it's a 97 MB download
*MAKE SURE* you click the download link for Vista x64

> What Windows Update installation errors can the System Update Readiness Tool potentially address?
> The following table lists error messages that you might receive when you try to install a software
> update. These errors might be caused by a system irregularity that the System Update Readiness Tool
> might be able to resolve. However, the tool might be unable to fix all instances in which these
> errors occur.
>
> Code Error Description
> 0x80070002 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND The system cannot find the file specified.

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, and for Windows 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

When the download completes close *all* open programs and browsers.
Then run the .msu as you would an .exe.

It will take some time to run. On a VPC 25 GB .vhd of Vista SP2 it took
a tad over 17 minutes to complete it's run.

It will create similar logs at
WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log <--- this log
WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log <--- this log

It also creates a subfolder in the WINDOWS directory named CheckSUR
containg all of it's .cab files.
Am fairly certain that the CheckSUR subfolder can be deleted once
CheckSUR is run as it is not technically an Installed Update.
In fact, just deleted it after the UAC prompt came up and Continue was
selected.

But, it will show as successfully installed when clicking the View
update history link on the Windows Update applet in Control Panel.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"
Steve

Re: 0x80070002
The windows update works fine even if the antivirus (Avira), firewall
(Comodo) and antispyware (Superantispyware) are turned on or not. I've
already scaned with other softwares and i don't have any indication of
malware. And which article is for resetting your windows update component?
Not sure if i've tried that one. (a bit of information would clarify or a
link).

Thanks
Steve

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> > When i press check for updates, this code pops out. I've tried the
> > methods suggested by Microsoft (and other replies from the forum)
> > but they don't solve the problem. It happened after i'd installed
> > the latest updates and started it the next day.
> >
> > I'm using a 64bit Vista Home Premium version.

> You followed the Microsoft KnowledgeBase Article for resetting your Windows
> Update components?
>
> You scanned with several different antimalware applications to verify your
> system was free of malware?
>
> You've disabled you AV software right before trying to obtain updates?
>
> You've verified (if you have a third party firewall solution installed) your
> firewall is not the problem?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Steve

Re: 0x80070002
I've tried your method but it doesn't fix the problem. But thanks for a method.

Steve wrote:
> The windows update works fine even if the antivirus (Avira),
> firewall (Comodo) and antispyware (Superantispyware) are turned on
> or not. I've already scaned with other softwares and i don't have
> any indication of malware. And which article is for resetting your
> windows update component? Not sure if i've tried that one. (a bit
> of information would clarify or a link).

The latter is exactly what I was thinking when responding. ;-)

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

What you are looking for:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

I would still recommend scanning with these three applications:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Also - if I am assuming what you mean by your, "The windows update works
fine even if the antivirus (Avira), firewall (Comodo) and antispyware
(Superantispyware) are turned on or not." is the *past* and not the
*current* situation? If it s the current situation, then I would guess your
issue is fixed. ;-)

I would disable (uninstall) the third party firewall for now.

I would stop SuperAntiSpyware from running for now - except for the
interactive scan I suggest.

Right before you try to update, I would also disable your AV software.

Those are common issues with updating related to such software - even if "it
worked yesterday"...

Also - what service pack is your Windows Vista?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Steve

Re: 0x80070002
I'm currently using Vista 64bit Sp2.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> if you wish.
>
> Download and run the MSRT manually:
>
> Reboot.
>
> Also - if I am assuming what you mean by your, "The windows update works
> fine even if the antivirus (Avira), firewall (Comodo) and antispyware
> (Superantispyware) are turned on or not." is the *past* and not the
> *current* situation? If it s the current situation, then I would guess your
> issue is fixed. ;-)
>
> I would disable (uninstall) the third party firewall for now.
>
> I would stop SuperAntiSpyware from running for now - except for the
> interactive scan I suggest.
>
> Right before you try to update, I would also disable your AV software.
>
> Those are common issues with updating related to such software - even if "it
> worked yesterday"...
>
> Also - what service pack is your Windows Vista?

I'm also getting denied access to bits and wuauserv using cmd window.

Steve wrote:
> I'm also getting denied access to bits and wuauserv using cmd
> window.

And so you would, unless you ran the cmd prompt as administrator. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way