Wanted - Easy update of 10 PC's with one download set

Peter Tanner

Wanted - Easy update of 10 PC's with one download set
I haven't exhaustively researched all options that Microsoft currently
provide, but it seems there isn't a nice simple way of keeping a group of
PC's updated from a single download session of all current updates.

This is how I think a nice system could work:

1. Say you have 5 to 10 PC's. Every so often you might do a clean
re-install of Windows XP SP3 on some, others may have various stages of
post-SP3 updates installed. You can't afford the cost of repeated downloads
of all updates re-occurring many times – Automatic Updates works, but it’s
too costly.

2. Microsoft should have available something like Microsoft Catalogue, but
allow the simply one-click selection of all current, for example, XP 32bit
post-SP3 updates for download to a single local master update folder – call
it a local catalogue.

3. On one master PC, you download all current updates from Microsoft. The
best would be to have something like SyncToy to keep the local copy in sync
with the "Microsoft Catalogue" – Microsoft keep their "catalogue" current by
removing replaced updates, and adding new ones. When the Sync process is
run, it quickly deletes old local copies and downloads any/all new updates
since the last Sync. Download costs are minimised by only adding updates not
already present in the local catalogue (master folder), and there is only one
download needed for the updates for as many PC’s as required.

4. On each local PC, you run a process similar to Automatic Updates. This
AutoUpdater process is a little different though – it only checks with the
local master to see what updates are needed, and instead up downloading each
update from Microsoft, it copies and/or simply runs the updates from the
local master folder. Perhaps the local AutoUpdater process could include an
online check to Microsoft to see if the local master catalogue has all
current updates present and let the operator know.

What do you think? Ideas for a better system are encouraged! And how can
we encourage Microsoft to set this up? – (if they haven’t already done it and
I haven’t found it!!!)
Egaskrad

RE: Wanted - Easy update of 10 PC's with one download set
Doesn't WSUS suit that purpose?

"Peter Tanner" wrote:

> I haven't exhaustively researched all options that Microsoft currently
> provide, but it seems there isn't a nice simple way of keeping a group of
> PC's updated from a single download session of all current updates.
>
> This is how I think a nice system could work:
>
> 1. Say you have 5 to 10 PC's. Every so often you might do a clean
> re-install of Windows XP SP3 on some, others may have various stages of
> post-SP3 updates installed. You can't afford the cost of repeated downloads
> of all updates re-occurring many times – Automatic Updates works, but it’s
> too costly.
>
> 2. Microsoft should have available something like Microsoft Catalogue, but
> allow the simply one-click selection of all current, for example, XP 32bit
> post-SP3 updates for download to a single local master update folder – call
> it a local catalogue.
>
> 3. On one master PC, you download all current updates from Microsoft. The
> best would be to have something like SyncToy to keep the local copy in sync
> with the "Microsoft Catalogue" – Microsoft keep their "catalogue" current by
> removing replaced updates, and adding new ones. When the Sync process is
> run, it quickly deletes old local copies and downloads any/all new updates
> since the last Sync. Download costs are minimised by only adding updates not
> already present in the local catalogue (master folder), and there is only one
> download needed for the updates for as many PC’s as required.
>
> 4. On each local PC, you run a process similar to Automatic Updates. This
> AutoUpdater process is a little different though – it only checks with the
> local master to see what updates are needed, and instead up downloading each
> update from Microsoft, it copies and/or simply runs the updates from the
> local master folder. Perhaps the local AutoUpdater process could include an
> online check to Microsoft to see if the local master catalogue has all
> current updates present and let the operator know.
>
> What do you think? Ideas for a better system are encouraged! And how can
> we encourage Microsoft to set this up? – (if they haven’t already done it and
> I haven’t found it!!!)

TaurArian

Peter Tanner wrote:
:: I haven't exhaustively researched all options that Microsoft
:: currently provide, but it seems there isn't a nice simple way of
:: keeping a group of PC's updated from a single download session of
:: all current updates.
::
[...]

Security updates are available on ISO-9660 CD image files from the Microsoft
Download Center
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Jim

Peter Tanner wrote:
> I haven't exhaustively researched all options that Microsoft currently
> provide, but it seems there isn't a nice simple way of keeping a group of
> PC's updated from a single download session of all current updates.
>
> This is how I think a nice system could work:
>
> 1. Say you have 5 to 10 PC's. Every so often you might do a clean
> re-install of Windows XP SP3 on some, others may have various stages of
> post-SP3 updates installed. You can't afford the cost of repeated downloads
> of all updates re-occurring many times – Automatic Updates works, but it’s
> too costly.
>
> 2. Microsoft should have available something like Microsoft Catalogue, but
> allow the simply one-click selection of all current, for example, XP 32bit
> post-SP3 updates for download to a single local master update folder – call
> it a local catalogue.
>
> 3. On one master PC, you download all current updates from Microsoft. The
> best would be to have something like SyncToy to keep the local copy in sync
> with the "Microsoft Catalogue" – Microsoft keep their "catalogue" current by
> removing replaced updates, and adding new ones. When the Sync process is
> run, it quickly deletes old local copies and downloads any/all new updates
> since the last Sync. Download costs are minimised by only adding updates not
> already present in the local catalogue (master folder), and there is only one
> download needed for the updates for as many PC’s as required.
>
> 4. On each local PC, you run a process similar to Automatic Updates. This
> AutoUpdater process is a little different though – it only checks with the
> local master to see what updates are needed, and instead up downloading each
> update from Microsoft, it copies and/or simply runs the updates from the
> local master folder. Perhaps the local AutoUpdater process could include an
> online check to Microsoft to see if the local master catalogue has all
> current updates present and let the operator know.
>
> What do you think? Ideas for a better system are encouraged! And how can
> we encourage Microsoft to set this up? – (if they haven’t already done it and
> I haven’t found it!!!)

See
http://www.wsusoffline.net/

Jim
Shenan Stanley

Peter Tanner wrote:
> I haven't exhaustively researched all options that Microsoft
> currently provide, but it seems there isn't a nice simple way of
> keeping a group of PC's updated from a single download session of
> all current updates.
>
> This is how I think a nice system could work:
>
> 1. Say you have 5 to 10 PC's. Every so often you might do a clean
> re-install of Windows XP SP3 on some, others may have various
> stages of post-SP3 updates installed. You can't afford the cost of
> repeated downloads of all updates re-occurring many times -
> Automatic Updates works, but it's too costly.
>
> 2. Microsoft should have available something like Microsoft
> Catalogue, but allow the simply one-click selection of all current,
> for example, XP 32bit post-SP3 updates for download to a single
> local master update folder - call it a local catalogue.
>
> 3. On one master PC, you download all current updates from
> Microsoft. The best would be to have something like SyncToy to
> keep the local copy in sync with the "Microsoft Catalogue" -
> Microsoft keep their "catalogue" current by removing replaced
> updates, and adding new ones. When the Sync process is run, it
> quickly deletes old local copies and downloads any/all new updates
> since the last Sync. Download costs are minimised by only adding
> updates not already present in the local catalogue (master folder),
> and there is only one download needed for the updates for as many
> PC's as required.
>
> 4. On each local PC, you run a process similar to Automatic
> Updates. This AutoUpdater process is a little different though -
> it only checks with the local master to see what updates are
> needed, and instead up downloading each update from Microsoft, it
> copies and/or simply runs the updates from the local master folder.
> Perhaps the local AutoUpdater process could include an online check
> to Microsoft to see if the local master catalogue has all current
> updates present and let the operator know.
>
> What do you think? Ideas for a better system are encouraged! And
> how can we encourage Microsoft to set this up? - (if they haven't
> already done it and I haven't found it!!!)

WSUS

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Egaskrad wrote:

> Doesn't WSUS suit that purpose?

Not really - most folks with 5 to 10 PC's probably don't want to shell out for
an expensive Windows server license.

Harry.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Egaskrad wrote:
>
> > Doesn't WSUS suit that purpose?

> Not really - most folks with 5 to 10 PC's probably don't want to shell out for
> an expensive Windows server license.
>
> Harry.

I know. I mentioned that just in case. They never said that they do not have
a Windows Server around.

> > "Peter Tanner" wrote:
> >
> >> I haven't exhaustively researched all options that Microsoft currently
> >> provide, but it seems there isn't a nice simple way of keeping a group of
> >> PC's updated from a single download session of all current updates.
> >>
> >> This is how I think a nice system could work:
> >>
> >> 1. Say you have 5 to 10 PC's. Every so often you might do a clean
> >> re-install of Windows XP SP3 on some, others may have various stages of
> >> post-SP3 updates installed. You can't afford the cost of repeated downloads
> >> of all updates re-occurring many times – Automatic Updates works, but it’s
> >> too costly.
> >>
> >> 2. Microsoft should have available something like Microsoft Catalogue, but
> >> allow the simply one-click selection of all current, for example, XP 32bit
> >> post-SP3 updates for download to a single local master update folder – call
> >> it a local catalogue.
> >>
> >> 3. On one master PC, you download all current updates from Microsoft. The
> >> best would be to have something like SyncToy to keep the local copy in sync
> >> with the "Microsoft Catalogue" – Microsoft keep their "catalogue" current by
> >> removing replaced updates, and adding new ones. When the Sync process is
> >> run, it quickly deletes old local copies and downloads any/all new updates
> >> since the last Sync. Download costs are minimised by only adding updates not
> >> already present in the local catalogue (master folder), and there is only one
> >> download needed for the updates for as many PC’s as required.
> >>
> >> 4. On each local PC, you run a process similar to Automatic Updates. This
> >> AutoUpdater process is a little different though – it only checks with the
> >> local master to see what updates are needed, and instead up downloading each
> >> update from Microsoft, it copies and/or simply runs the updates from the
> >> local master folder. Perhaps the local AutoUpdater process could include an
> >> online check to Microsoft to see if the local master catalogue has all
> >> current updates present and let the operator know.
> >>
> >> What do you think? Ideas for a better system are encouraged! And how can
> >> we encourage Microsoft to set this up? – (if they haven’t already done it and
> >> I haven’t found it!!!)

Peter Tanner

Re: Wanted - Easy update of 10 PC's with one download set
Thanks TaurArian, but burning CD's every week or so, and updating all the
PC's from them would be really slow and tedious...

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Peter Tanner wrote:
> :: I haven't exhaustively researched all options that Microsoft
> :: currently provide, but it seems there isn't a nice simple way of
> :: keeping a group of PC's updated from a single download session of
> :: all current updates.
> ::
> :: This is how I think a nice system could work:
> ::
> :: 1. Say you have 5 to 10 PC's. Every so often you might do a clean
> :: re-install of Windows XP SP3 on some, others may have various stages
> :: of post-SP3 updates installed. You can't afford the cost of
> :: repeated downloads of all updates re-occurring many times -
> :: Automatic Updates works, but it's too costly.
> ::
> :: 2. Microsoft should have available something like Microsoft
> :: Catalogue, but allow the simply one-click selection of all current,
> :: for example, XP 32bit post-SP3 updates for download to a single
> :: local master update folder - call it a local catalogue.
> ::
> :: 3. On one master PC, you download all current updates from
> :: Microsoft. The best would be to have something like SyncToy to keep
> :: the local copy in sync with the "Microsoft Catalogue" - Microsoft
> :: keep their "catalogue" current by removing replaced updates, and
> :: adding new ones. When the Sync process is run, it quickly deletes
> :: old local copies and downloads any/all new updates since the last
> :: Sync. Download costs are minimised by only adding updates not
> :: already present in the local catalogue (master folder), and there is
> :: only one download needed for the updates for as many PC's as
> :: required.
> ::
> :: 4. On each local PC, you run a process similar to Automatic
> :: Updates. This AutoUpdater process is a little different though - it
> :: only checks with the local master to see what updates are needed,
> :: and instead up downloading each update from Microsoft, it copies
> :: and/or simply runs the updates from the local master folder.
> :: Perhaps the local AutoUpdater process could include an online check
> :: to Microsoft to see if the local master catalogue has all current
> :: updates present and let the operator know.
> ::
> :: What do you think? Ideas for a better system are encouraged! And
> :: how can we encourage Microsoft to set this up? - (if they haven't
> :: already done it and I haven't found it!!!)
>

> Security updates are available on ISO-9660 CD image files from the Microsoft
> Download Center
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/913086
> --
>
> TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
> http://taurarian.mvps.org
> ======================================
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties
> or guarantees and doesn't give any rights.

Peter Tanner

Re: Wanted - Easy update of 10 PC's with one download set
Spot on Harry - I don't have a server. All PC's only have XP Pro SP3.

"Egaskrad" wrote:

> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Egaskrad wrote:
> >
> > > Doesn't WSUS suit that purpose?

> > Not really - most folks with 5 to 10 PC's probably don't want to shell out for
> > an expensive Windows server license.
> >
> > Harry.

> I know. I mentioned that just in case. They never said that they do not have
> a Windows Server around.

Peter Tanner

Re: Wanted - Easy update of 10 PC's with one download set
Thanks Jim. Does WSUS run on XP Pro?