service pack 3 won't install after install genuine advantage kit

service pack 3 failes to install

service pack 3 won't install after install genuine advantage kit
I am working with a system that failed the windows genuine advantage test.
So I paid the $149.00 and got that fixed. Up to that point I had installed
updates up until service pack 3. After fixing the genuine advantage problem,
I've tried to install service pack 3 and it continues to fail. The install
logs don't say anything regarding why.

Any ideas
Shenan Stanley

Re: service pack 3 won't install after install genuine advantage kit
service pack 3 failes to install wrote:
> I am working with a system that failed the windows genuine
> advantage test.
> So I paid the $149.00 and got that fixed. Up to that point I had
> installed updates up until service pack 3. After fixing the
> genuine advantage problem, I've tried to install service pack 3 and
> it continues to fail. The install logs don't say anything
> regarding why.
>
> Any ideas

Sure - cleanup. Who knows what all has happened to that system? ;-)

First - before anything else - answer this:

Do you have an HP branded computer with an AMD processor?
(If so - answer and wait. If not, answer and continue with the steps.)

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Now for SP3...

1) Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

You are just saving it right now - not running it yet.

2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. If you are following
along, you have already done this!

3) CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

4) Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3. Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable. Reboot when requested to
do so. Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes. Reboot.
Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: service pack 3 won't install after install genuine advantage kit
in the background when you attempted to SP3?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru May 2009. Such support will cost you
US$59 per incident now.
www.banthecheck.com