Windows update

Jimmy

Windows update
I am running Windows xp Home Edition V 2002 service pack 3. When I try to
install update (KB956844) and (K9971961) nothing happens. No error code
nothing. They do not install. What can I do to install them?
--
Jimmy
Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update
Jimmy wrote:
> I am running Windows xp Home Edition V 2002 service pack 3. When I
> try to install update (KB956844) and (K9971961) nothing happens. No
> error code nothing. They do not install. What can I do to install
> them?

Having trouble with these two updates?

MS09-046: Vulnerability in the DHTML Editing Component ActiveX control could
allow remote code execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956844

MS09-045: Vulnerability in JScript Scripting Engines could allow remote code
execution
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971961

Please verify - as your second given KB Article number is not properly
formatted and the second one is my 'best guess' at what you meant to type.

In case those are correct - you do realize the articles do state where you
can get free support pertaining to the installation of each update, right?

Each of the articles state the following...
----------
the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552
----------

Now - if you don't wish to do that - or even if you do - you might want to
clean up and get rid of the common problems that plague people trying to
install updates on some machines.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you said you haveSP3 installed.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

Reboot...

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

Also, just as another route for you to pursue if the above cleanup does not
get you where you want to be/need to be...

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update
when you are repeatedly offered an update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ǝиçεl

RE: Windows update
Hello Jimmy,

Do a manual visit to Windows Update with Internet Explorer.
[ Start > Windows Update or open IE, click Tools, Windows Update ]
When the installations fail, close IE.
Now go to Start > Run > type in

%windir%\windowsupdate.log

Click OK or press Enter

In windowsupdate.log scroll to the very end of this log file, and then
work back to the beginning of that last update attempt.
Cut and paste just that tail end of the log file to a response in this
thread.
Let's see if we can tell what is hªppening.

Please post the last 50 or so lines of the WindowsUpdate.log

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"Jimmy" wrote:

> I am running Windows xp Home Edition V 2002 service pack 3. When I try to
> install update (KB956844) and (K9971961) nothing happens. No error code
> nothing. They do not install. What can I do to install them?
> --
> Jimmy

Jimmy

RE: Windows update
Shenan, tried everything you said and I still can not install security update
for windows xp (KB956844) and security update for jscript for windows xp
(KB971961)
--
Jimmy

"Jimmy" wrote:

> I am running Windows xp Home Edition V 2002 service pack 3. When I try to
> install update (KB956844) and (K9971961) nothing happens. No error code
> nothing. They do not install. What can I do to install them?
> --
> Jimmy

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows update
<snipped>

<Full Conversation>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6a1ba737a6a97/
</Full Conversation>

Jimmy wrote:
> Shenan, tried everything you said and I still can not install
> security update for windows xp (KB956844) and security update for
> jscript for windows xp (KB971961)

Assuming you did everything as you said (other than the first suggestion,
obviously *grin) - have you tried installing the two patches manually?

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...2-660f612e2a12

Pick your IE version for proper download:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-045.mspx

No go?

You are at the point where you should try the first thing I suggested:

Each of the articles state the following...
----------
the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552

At least everything you have is clean and updated - you should tell those
you get help from the details of what you have tried.

Assuming you also tried (just double-checking):