Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) Failed!

King Jeet

Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) Failed!
This update has been bothering me for MONTHS possibly ONE WHOLE YEAR!
Everyday in the bottom right hand corner of the screen I get a message
"updates are ready for your computer to be installed." I click install and
every single time I try to install it says the following updates couldn't be
installed:
Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648). I've even tried manually
downloading the update file from the microsoft website and then update the pc
but it says that a file is missing. HOW do I update this file...? It's
driving me insane.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) Failed!
King Jeet wrote:
> This update has been bothering me for MONTHS possibly ONE WHOLE
> YEAR! Everyday in the bottom right hand corner of the screen I get
> a message "updates are ready for your computer to be installed." I
> click install and every single time I try to install it says the
> following updates couldn't be installed:
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648). I've even tried manually
> downloading the update file from the microsoft website and then
> update the pc but it says that a file is missing. HOW do I update
> this file...? It's driving me insane.

Done any research on your on in attempting to resolve it?

Do you actually have Windows Messenger 4.7 installed?
(Add or Remove Programs control panel --> Add/Remove Windows Components -->
Scroll down to "Windows Messenger" --> Is it checked? If so - uncheck it ,
let it do its thing - come back and check it again and let it do its thing.
If not, check it and let it do its thing.)

The web page for this update...
MS08-050: Description of the update for Windows Messenger 4.7 for Windows
XP: August 12, 2008
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946648

Says this:
----------
the United States and Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. For more information about how to contact your local Microsoft
subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
International Support Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4

North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited
no-charge e-mail support or to unlimited individual chat support by visiting
the following Microsoft Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552
----------

My suggestion, if you want to do some cleanup and such before calling
anyone, is simple - although long. In most cases it resolves the issues you
might have with Windows Updates in Windows XP (which although you did not
state you have, your problem revolves around that OS) and if it does not -
it certainly can clean up and speed up your system and by-pass a lot of
other troubleshooting.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you should have SP3 installed - but don't do it
during the cleanup.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

Reboot...

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> [...]
> 3-5 at a time. Rebooting as needed.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I
> recommend against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office
> Live" ones or "Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely
> avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need
> install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a
> single step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now -
> go through until the end, until you have done everything given in
> the order given. If you have a problem with a step come ask and
> let someone here get you through that step. If you don't
> understand how to do a step, come back and ask here about that step
> and let someone walk you through it.
> Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or

Also - as another way to attempt to fix your repeating update issue - you
might look into this Microsoft KnowledgeBase Article for help:

How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update
when you are repeatedly offered an update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910339

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) Failed!
See the "How to obtain help" section of

King Jeet wrote:
> This update has been bothering me for MONTHS possibly ONE WHOLE YEAR!
> Everyday in the bottom right hand corner of the screen I get a message
> "updates are ready for your computer to be installed." I click install and
> every single time I try to install it says the following updates couldn't
> be
> installed:
> Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648). I've even tried manually
> downloading the update file from the microsoft website and then update the
> pc but it says that a file is missing. HOW do I update this file...? It's
> driving me insane.

King Jeet

Re: Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) Failed!

I don't have SP3 installed on my computer becuase I keep getting the access
denied half through the installation. So should I get help in installing SP3
first or get this issue solved?

King Jeet wrote:
> I don't have SP3 installed on my computer becuase I keep getting
> the access denied half through the installation. So should I get
> help in installing SP3 first or get this issue solved?

That one is easy to fix (actually - if you ran through the list I gave - you
fix it.)

Run through the list as it is given. After you are done, you are pretty
well ready to install SP3 and here is how I suggest doing that:

1) Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

You are just saving it right now - not running it yet.

2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. If you are following
along, you have already done this!

3) CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

4) Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3. Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable. Reboot when requested to
do so. Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes. Reboot.
Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

King Jeet

Re: Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) Failed!
I have an important question regarding the windows clean up utility. When I
run it I get a list of things saying that they will all be uninstalled from
the computer because they used the windows installing utility. Some of the
things are Adobe reader, Micrsoft 2007 applications, java, windows live
messenger, etc...Will all of them actually be removed and then I have to
manually install each program one by one?

King Jeet wrote:
> I have an important question regarding the windows clean up
> utility. When I run it I get a list of things saying that they will
> all be uninstalled from the computer because they used the windows
> installing utility. Some of the things are Adobe reader, Micrsoft
> 2007 applications, java, windows live messenger, etc...Will all of
> them actually be removed and then I have to manually install each
> program one by one?

Are you following the directions given or are you running it from the Start
Menu?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

King Jeet

RE: Security Update for Windows XP (KB946648) Failed!

Oh never mind, I misunderstood this instruction.

King Jeet wrote:
> Oh never mind, I misunderstood this instruction.

Did you mean to respond to me directly?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP