error 0x80070005

tobimaro

error 0x80070005
I am running Windows XP Home Edition v. 2002 SP 3, and I was trying to
install the latest auto update (KB968389), and I got an error message of
0x80070005. I have tried to run the update a couple more times, but I have
not been able to get the update to install sucessfully, and I get the same
error message. Any help here?
Ǝиçεl

RE: error 0x80070005
Hello Tobimaro,

The 0x80070005 is an access denied message -

One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
running on the computer.

You can try turning them off and then try the updates again.

Keep the fiяewall on though.

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that
are яunning Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158>

Otherwise you'll need to contact MS for further assistance -

How to obtain assistance from MS Support

To contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
International Support Web site:
<https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>

To make sure you receive the appropriate support
information for your location, select your region setting from the list and
then click the aяяow button
--
I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in
the U.S. or Canada.

Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the
number for paid suppoяt in your locale--and ask for the free help with
security-patch related issues.

If you /clearly/ state that a specific update has caused
problems and don't ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge
suppoяt for the issue.

Good luck
-=-

Ǝиçεl
◕‿◕
-=-

"tobimaro" wrote:

> I am running Windows XP Home Edition v. 2002 SP 3, and I was trying to
> install the latest auto update (KB968389), and I got an error message of
> 0x80070005. I have tried to run the update a couple more times, but I have
> not been able to get the update to install sucessfully, and I get the same
> error message. Any help here?

tobimaro

RE: error 0x80070005
I did as you advised. I turned off the anti-virus program (McAfee), and
turned off the anti-spyware program (Spybot). But when I tried to download
the update, I got the same error message.

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hello Tobimaro,
>
> The 0x80070005 is an access denied message -
>
> One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
> the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
> running on the computer.
>
> You can try turning them off and then try the updates again.
>
> Keep the fiяewall on though.
>
> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that
> are яunning Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158>
>
> Otherwise you'll need to contact MS for further assistance -
>
> How to obtain assistance from MS Support
>
> To contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
> International Support Web site:
> <https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>
>
> To make sure you receive the appropriate support
> information for your location, select your region setting from the list and
> then click the aяяow button
> --
> I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in
> the U.S. or Canada.
>
> Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the
> number for paid suppoяt in your locale--and ask for the free help with
> security-patch related issues.
>
> If you /clearly/ state that a specific update has caused
> problems and don't ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge
> suppoяt for the issue.
>
> Good luck
> -=-
>

> Ǝиçεl
> ◕‿◕
> -=-
>
> "tobimaro" wrote:
>
> > I am running Windows XP Home Edition v. 2002 SP 3, and I was trying to
> > install the latest auto update (KB968389), and I got an error message of
> > 0x80070005. I have tried to run the update a couple more times, but I have
> > not been able to get the update to install sucessfully, and I get the same
> > error message. Any help here?

Ǝиçεl

RE: error 0x80070005

"tobimaro" wrote:

> I did as you advised. I turned off the anti-virus program (McAfee), and
> turned off the anti-spyware program (Spybot). But when I tried to download
> the update, I got the same error message.
>
> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
> > Hello Tobimaro,
> >
> > The 0x80070005 is an access denied message -
> >
> > One of the most common causes of this erroя code is
> > the Anti-virus and Anti-spyware software programs
> > running on the computer.
> >
> > You can try turning them off and then try the updates again.
> >
> > Keep the fiяewall on though.
> >
> > Virus scanning recommendations for computers that
> > are яunning Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows XP
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158>
> >
> > Otherwise you'll need to contact MS for further assistance -
> >
> > How to obtain assistance from MS Support
> >
> > To contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
> > International Support Web site:
> > <https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>
> >
> > To make sure you receive the appropriate support
> > information for your location, select your region setting from the list and
> > then click the aяяow button
> > --
> > I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in
> > the U.S. or Canada.
> >
> > Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the
> > number for paid suppoяt in your locale--and ask for the free help with
> > security-patch related issues.
> >
> > If you /clearly/ state that a specific update has caused
> > problems and don't ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge
> > suppoяt for the issue.
> >
> > Good luck
> > -=-
> >

> > Ǝиçεl
> > ◕‿◕
> > -=-
> >
> > "tobimaro" wrote:
> >
> > > I am running Windows XP Home Edition v. 2002 SP 3, and I was trying to
> > > install the latest auto update (KB968389), and I got an error message of
> > > 0x80070005. I have tried to run the update a couple more times, but I have
> > > not been able to get the update to install sucessfully, and I get the same
> > > error message. Any help here?

Shenan Stanley

Re: error 0x80070005
tobimaro wrote:
> I am running Windows XP Home Edition v. 2002 SP 3, and I was trying
> to install the latest auto update (KB968389), and I got an error
> message of 0x80070005. I have tried to run the update a couple
> more times, but I have not been able to get the update to install
> sucessfully, and I get the same error message. Any help here?

This update?
Extended Protection for Authentication
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389

Have you tried to install it manually?
(See the bottom of the web page linked above for the proper download.)

Have you ensured your file/registry permissions are properly set?

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you said you have SP3 installed.)

Reboot and try to manually install the update.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

MowGreen

Re: error 0x80070005
This is a Security advisory and is not categorized as a Security update.
Therefore, there isn't any 'no-charge support' for this update, Engel.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389
> The update itself does not directly provide protection against specific attacks such as credential
> forwarding, but allows applications to opt in to Extended Protection for Authentication. This
> advisory briefs developers and system administrators on this new functionality and how it can be
> deployed to help protect authentication credentials.

If the error *only* occurs when installing *this* update, then Hide it
by UNchecking the box next to it when the update icon appears in the
Notification area, click OK, then put a mark next to " Do not offer me
this update again " in the next window that will pop up.
Then click OK and it will be hidden.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Ǝиçεl wrote:

> Otherwise you'll need to contact MS for further assistance -
>
> How to obtain assistance from MS Support
>
> To contact Microsoft for support issues, visit the
> International Support Web site:
> <https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>
>
> To make sure you receive the appropriate support
> information for your location, select your region setting from the list and
> then click the aяяow button

Skyguy

Re: error 0x80070005
This worked for me when trying to install KB968389 and getting error
0x80070005

Thanks !!!!