Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger

Rod

Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
Hello
I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard drive
and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete with
all the updates. When I try to install Windows Live Messenger, it installs at
a snails pace going through a thistle patch. When it finishes installing, it
does nothing but crash. I have tried to install an older version but it acts
the same. It was working good untill the last batch ofupdates were installed.
I'm stumped. There is a rash of simular problems on the net the past few days
also. A bad update file perhaps? Any good suggestions will be greatly
appreciated.
--
Rod

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
[Forwarded to WLMessenger newsgroup via crosspost]

WLMessenger v14.0.8089.726 is the only version supported now.

Did you attempt to install WLMessenger via a live.com page (e.g.,
http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger)?

NB: You must UNCHECK the stuff you don't want to install!!
www.banthecheck.com

Rod wrote:
> Hello
> I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard drive
> and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete
> with
> all the updates. When I try to install Windows Live Messenger, it installs
> at a snails pace going through a thistle patch. When it finishes
> installing, it does nothing but crash. I have tried to install an older
> version but it acts the same. It was working good untill the last batch
> ofupdates were installed. I'm stumped. There is a rash of simular problems
> on the net the past few days also. A bad update file perhaps? Any good
> suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
Hello PABear
Yes I have tried online, offline packages and nothing seems to work. The
problem seems to be with my computer and I'm wondering if it was the SP3
patch. The install and uninstall process is painfully slow and doesn't work
when finished. Messenger worked fine before the last batch of updates too. I
also notice that I don't need to log-in to my user account now and it logs me
in as administrator upon start-up. On the previous SP3 install, I had no
trouble whatsoever so I doubt that was the problem.
--
Rod

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Forwarded to WLMessenger newsgroup via crosspost]
>
> WLMessenger v14.0.8089.726 is the only version supported now.
>
> Did you attempt to install WLMessenger via a live.com page (e.g.,
> http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger)?
>
> NB: You must UNCHECK the stuff you don't want to install!!
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Rod wrote:
> > Hello
> > I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard drive
> > and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete
> > with
> > all the updates. When I try to install Windows Live Messenger, it installs
> > at a snails pace going through a thistle patch. When it finishes
> > installing, it does nothing but crash. I have tried to install an older
> > version but it acts the same. It was working good untill the last batch
> > ofupdates were installed. I'm stumped. There is a rash of simular problems
> > on the net the past few days also. A bad update file perhaps? Any good
> > suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
You say "previous SP3 install." Did you find it necessary to uninstall SP3
one or more times in the past? If so, why?

in the background when you installed or uninstalled SP3?

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it)?
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

Rod wrote:
> Hello PABear
> Yes I have tried online, offline packages and nothing seems to work. The
> problem seems to be with my computer and I'm wondering if it was the SP3
> patch. The install and uninstall process is painfully slow and doesn't
> work
> when finished. Messenger worked fine before the last batch of updates too.
> also notice that I don't need to log-in to my user account now and it logs
> me in as administrator upon start-up. On the previous SP3 install, I had
> no
> trouble whatsoever so I doubt that was the problem.
>
>> [Forwarded to WLMessenger newsgroup via crosspost]
>>
>> WLMessenger v14.0.8089.726 is the only version supported now.
>>
>> Did you attempt to install WLMessenger via a live.com page (e.g.,
>> http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger)?
>>
>> NB: You must UNCHECK the stuff you don't want to install!!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Rod wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard
>>> drive
>>> and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete
>>> with
>>> all the updates. When I try to install Windows Live Messenger, it
>>> installs
>>> at a snails pace going through a thistle patch. When it finishes
>>> installing, it does nothing but crash. I have tried to install an older
>>> version but it acts the same. It was working good untill the last batch
>>> ofupdates were installed. I'm stumped. There is a rash of simular
>>> problems
>>> on the net the past few days also. A bad update file perhaps? Any good
>>> suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
"I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard drive
and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete with
all the updates."
The original hard drive has been replaced, initiated, formatted and
reloaded. It was a clean install to say the least. No Nortons will ever touch
any machine I own due to an experience years ago where it messed up my hard
drive and the only way to get it back was a clean install.
I have installed Zone Alarm firewall and Avira Antivir Peresonal edition
virus program and that was working flawlessly for a few years now on my old
hard drive. No antivirus or spy blocking software was installed at the time
of SP3 installation. All that was running was windows firewall.
I have tried installation of Windows Live Messenger both online, offline,
with firewall and without firewall with no change in the results.
At this point in time I am ready to format and reload the whole thing once
again as something odd is going on here. My hair is turning gray and getting
thinner by the moment and I don't think I'd look good bald after pulling out
my remaining hair.

--
Rod

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You say "previous SP3 install." Did you find it necessary to uninstall SP3
> one or more times in the past? If so, why?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed or uninstalled SP3?
>
> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> it)?
> --
> ~PA Bear
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Rod wrote:
> > Hello PABear
> > Yes I have tried online, offline packages and nothing seems to work. The
> > problem seems to be with my computer and I'm wondering if it was the SP3
> > patch. The install and uninstall process is painfully slow and doesn't
> > work
> > when finished. Messenger worked fine before the last batch of updates too.
> > also notice that I don't need to log-in to my user account now and it logs
> > me in as administrator upon start-up. On the previous SP3 install, I had
> > no
> > trouble whatsoever so I doubt that was the problem.
> >
> >> [Forwarded to WLMessenger newsgroup via crosspost]
> >>
> >> WLMessenger v14.0.8089.726 is the only version supported now.
> >>
> >> Did you attempt to install WLMessenger via a live.com page (e.g.,
> >> http://download.live.com/?sku=messenger)?
> >>
> >> NB: You must UNCHECK the stuff you don't want to install!!
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
See if disabling ZA and then enabling the Windows Firewall prior to the next
install attempt makes any difference.

Is Automatic Updates enabled? Can you access & update via
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?

Rod wrote:
> "I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard drive
> and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete
> with
> all the updates."
> The original hard drive has been replaced, initiated, formatted and
> reloaded. It was a clean install to say the least. No Nortons will ever
> touch any machine I own due to an experience years ago where it messed up
> my hard drive and the only way to get it back was a clean install.
> I have installed Zone Alarm firewall and Avira Antivir Peresonal edition
> virus program and that was working flawlessly for a few years now on my
> old
> hard drive. No antivirus or spy blocking software was installed at the
> time
> of SP3 installation. All that was running was windows firewall.
> I have tried installation of Windows Live Messenger both online, offline,
> with firewall and without firewall with no change in the results.
> At this point in time I am ready to format and reload the whole thing once
> again as something odd is going on here. My hair is turning gray and
> getting
> thinner by the moment and I don't think I'd look good bald after pulling
> out
> my remaining hair.
>

>> You say "previous SP3 install." Did you find it necessary to uninstall
>> SP3
>> one or more times in the past? If so, why?

>> applications running in the background when you installed or uninstalled
>> SP3?
>>
>> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
>> bought
>> it)?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Rod wrote:
>>> Hello PABear
>>> Yes I have tried online, offline packages and nothing seems to work. The
>>> problem seems to be with my computer and I'm wondering if it was the SP3
>>> patch. The install and uninstall process is painfully slow and doesn't
>>> work
>>> when finished. Messenger worked fine before the last batch of updates
>>> too.
>>> also notice that I don't need to log-in to my user account now and it
>>> logs
>>> me in as administrator upon start-up. On the previous SP3 install, I had
>>> no
>>> trouble whatsoever so I doubt that was the problem.

Rod

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
It makes no difference if its disabled and only windows firewall installed or
if they are both disabled. Yes windows update has always been working just
fine
--
Rod

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See if disabling ZA and then enabling the Windows Firewall prior to the next
> install attempt makes any difference.
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Can you access & update via
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
>

> Rod wrote:
> > "I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard drive
> > and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete
> > with
> > all the updates."
> > The original hard drive has been replaced, initiated, formatted and
> > reloaded. It was a clean install to say the least. No Nortons will ever
> > touch any machine I own due to an experience years ago where it messed up
> > my hard drive and the only way to get it back was a clean install.
> > I have installed Zone Alarm firewall and Avira Antivir Peresonal edition
> > virus program and that was working flawlessly for a few years now on my
> > old
> > hard drive. No antivirus or spy blocking software was installed at the
> > time
> > of SP3 installation. All that was running was windows firewall.
> > I have tried installation of Windows Live Messenger both online, offline,
> > with firewall and without firewall with no change in the results.
> > At this point in time I am ready to format and reload the whole thing once
> > again as something odd is going on here. My hair is turning gray and
> > getting
> > thinner by the moment and I don't think I'd look good bald after pulling
> > out
> > my remaining hair.
> >

> >> You say "previous SP3 install." Did you find it necessary to uninstall
> >> SP3
> >> one or more times in the past? If so, why?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed or uninstalled
> >> SP3?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Rod

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
It makes no difference if ZA is disabled or enabled, windows firewall
disabled or enabled, or no firewalls enabled at all. Windows update has
always worked no matter what firewalls are operating.
--
Rod

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See if disabling ZA and then enabling the Windows Firewall prior to the next
> install attempt makes any difference.
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Can you access & update via
> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
>

> Rod wrote:
> > "I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard drive
> > and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete
> > with
> > all the updates."
> > The original hard drive has been replaced, initiated, formatted and
> > reloaded. It was a clean install to say the least. No Nortons will ever
> > touch any machine I own due to an experience years ago where it messed up
> > my hard drive and the only way to get it back was a clean install.
> > I have installed Zone Alarm firewall and Avira Antivir Peresonal edition
> > virus program and that was working flawlessly for a few years now on my
> > old
> > hard drive. No antivirus or spy blocking software was installed at the
> > time
> > of SP3 installation. All that was running was windows firewall.
> > I have tried installation of Windows Live Messenger both online, offline,
> > with firewall and without firewall with no change in the results.
> > At this point in time I am ready to format and reload the whole thing once
> > again as something odd is going on here. My hair is turning gray and
> > getting
> > thinner by the moment and I don't think I'd look good bald after pulling
> > out
> > my remaining hair.
> >

> >> You say "previous SP3 install." Did you find it necessary to uninstall
> >> SP3
> >> one or more times in the past? If so, why?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed or uninstalled
> >> SP3?
> >>
> >> Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
> >> machine (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you
> >> bought
> >> it)?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
Dunno then. Maybe someone in WLMessenger newsgroup has some other ideas.
Whatever the problem is, it has nothing whatsoever to do with Windows
Update.

Rod wrote:
> It makes no difference if its disabled and only windows firewall installed
> or if they are both disabled. Yes windows update has always been working
> just fine
>
>> See if disabling ZA and then enabling the Windows Firewall prior to the
>>
>> Is Automatic Updates enabled? Can you access & update via
>> http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com?
>>

>> Rod wrote:
>>> "I have just had the experience of losing the boot sector on my hard
>>> drive
>>> and purchased a new drive and reloaded Windows XP Professional complete
>>> with
>>> all the updates."
>>> The original hard drive has been replaced, initiated, formatted and
>>> reloaded. It was a clean install to say the least. No Nortons will ever
>>> touch any machine I own due to an experience years ago where it messed
>>> up
>>> my hard drive and the only way to get it back was a clean install.
>>> I have installed Zone Alarm firewall and Avira Antivir Peresonal edition
>>> virus program and that was working flawlessly for a few years now on my
>>> old
>>> hard drive. No antivirus or spy blocking software was installed at the
>>> time
>>> of SP3 installation. All that was running was windows firewall.
>>> I have tried installation of Windows Live Messenger both online,
>>> offline,
>>> with firewall and without firewall with no change in the results.
>>> At this point in time I am ready to format and reload the whole thing
>>> once
>>> again as something odd is going on here. My hair is turning gray and
>>> getting
>>> thinner by the moment and I don't think I'd look good bald after pulling
>>> out
>>> my remaining hair.

Rod

Re: Cannot instal Windows Live Messenger
ok then, thanks for your efforts PA Bear. I will format my clean drive and
try the process again.
--
Rod