Re: 80240016 Install Error

Kafe Sure

Re: 80240016 Install Error
The sfc/scannow solution worked for me (after I had discovered how to turn
off Account settings - via the Control panel). I then only had 4 downloads
that had failed, instead of 39 but I also had a new error message!!! After
rebooting I had around 43 failed downloads. None of the suggestions so far
have helped with this new error code: 80070002, so I am trawling through this
forum again, just before I bin my laptop.

Kafe

"GlenntheGreat" wrote:

> Hello everyone. I struggled with this very issue for two months. After
> much searching of the Internet, I found my solution to the problem last
> night, and I decided that I should spread the word on how I fixed it.
>
> Solution:
>
> Go to Run... in the Start menu. Enter this command:
>
> sfc /scannow
>
> Your computer will scan system files and fix whatever is corrupted. I
> ran the scan, and although the window closed on me before I could read
> the results, I tried another installation of the 16 updates since July
> 10 that had been refusing to install. To my amazement, they all
> succeeded, and Vista does truly seem to operate much more smoothly what
> with the Intel chip and memory improvements of some recent updates.
>
> To give some further background on the issue I was having, just to make
> sure that you are having the same problems and experience that I had:
>
> Since July 10th, I was about to download updates, and attempt to
> install them. The updates would do their installation, then prompt me to
> restart the computer. I would do so, and have to sit though a long
> configuration, during which the computer would often restart itself a
> second time.
>
> Upon re-loading Windows, the 16 updates from July 10 to Sept 27 would
> either have a status of Failed or Pending.
>
> The solutions I had previously tried (all of which failed) included:
>
> - Renaming/removing the \\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\ folder or it's
> contents (like the Downloads folder and/or DataStore folder) while the
> Windows Update service was shut down
>
> - Renaming/removing the \\Windows\System32\Catroot2\ folder while the
> Cryptographic Services service was shut down
>
> - Downloading and running individual update installers off of
> Microsoft's website
> (Note: When trying this message, the update history would incorrectly
> show that the update was installed successfully. Even though it had a
> status of Successful, it would not register in the listing of installed
> updates, and thus when searching for more updates, the update would
> still appear as something I needed to download)
>
> ******************
> Just as some other information, I'm new to online troubleshooting
> discussion, and I felt that this problem was significant enough to
> motivate me to get involved, as these updates are an important measure
> in the fight to get people to stop hating on Vista. I notice that a lot
> of people are having issues, and I can't stand to see this happen.
>
> Since I am new to this, I'm not sure what the best means of propogating
> this solution would be, if it infact proves to be widely helpful to
> others.
>

> --
> GlenntheGreat

Gus from www.rozult.com

Re: 80240016 Install Error
Run sfc/scannow in a dos sommand window you have launched by right clicking
on the dos icon and selecting "Run as Administrator". Then type in the dos
window the command sfc/scannow.

readmore about SFC http://www.computerhope.com/sfc.htm#01

regards
Gus from www.rozult.com

"Kafe Sure" wrote:

> [...]
> > (Note: When trying this message, the update history would incorrectly
> > show that the update was installed successfully. Even though it had a
> > status of Successful, it would not register in the listing of installed
> > updates, and thus when searching for more updates, the update would
> > still appear as something I needed to download)
> >
> > ******************
> > Just as some other information, I'm new to online troubleshooting
> > discussion, and I felt that this problem was significant enough to
> > motivate me to get involved, as these updates are an important measure
> > in the fight to get people to stop hating on Vista. I notice that a lot
> > of people are having issues, and I can't stand to see this happen.
> >
> > Since I am new to this, I'm not sure what the best means of propogating
> > this solution would be, if it infact proves to be widely helpful to

echiu1000

Re: 80240016 Install Error
How do you turn off account settings?

"Kafe Sure" wrote:

> [...]
> > (Note: When trying this message, the update history would incorrectly
> > show that the update was installed successfully. Even though it had a
> > status of Successful, it would not register in the listing of installed
> > updates, and thus when searching for more updates, the update would
> > still appear as something I needed to download)
> >
> > ******************
> > Just as some other information, I'm new to online troubleshooting
> > discussion, and I felt that this problem was significant enough to
> > motivate me to get involved, as these updates are an important measure
> > in the fight to get people to stop hating on Vista. I notice that a lot
> > of people are having issues, and I can't stand to see this happen.
> >
> > Since I am new to this, I'm not sure what the best means of propogating
> > this solution would be, if it infact proves to be widely helpful to

computer illiterate

Re: 80240016 Install Error
where do i find this "run textbox?" how do i "Go to Run... in the Start
menu. Enter this command: sfc /scannow"? where is "run"? i hope this is an
easy answer for y'all, it sure confuses me, esp as i used to be able to do it
before vista.

thank you for your help and i hope you get a good chuckle