XP Service Pack 3

Fran

XP Service Pack 3
I have Version 5.1 build 2600: service pack 3 , and when I try to download
updates I get the message saying:- I need to install the disc for XP
Professional with front page. I do not have the disc . XP was installed
in my computer when I bought it. When I check my add/remove program page it
says XP Professional with front page is on my computer, I have Version 5.1
build 2600: service pack 3
would downloading and running Chkdsk help?

Shenan Stanley

Re: XP Service Pack 3
Fran wrote:
> I have Version 5.1 build 2600: service pack 3 , and when I try to
> download updates I get the message saying:- I need to install the
> disc for XP Professional with front page. I do not have the disc .
> XP was installed in my computer when I bought it. When I check my
> add/remove program page it says XP Professional with front page is
> on my computer, I have Version 5.1 build 2600: service pack 3
> would downloading and running Chkdsk help?

You wouldn't need to download CHKDSK - it's integrated.

Did you buy the computer new?

Not having an installation CD and decent backups and/or an image of this
entire machine is unwise at best, devastating at worst.

Try to do the following...

Start button --> RUN
(no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your keyboard)
--> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name and flavor) while the line starting with the word
"version" will give you the rest of the story.

Post _both_ in response to this message verbatim. ;-)

Then - start the cleanup.

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you said you have SP3 installed.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot.

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

Re: XP Service Pack 3
Fran wrote:
:: I have Version 5.1 build 2600: service pack 3 , and when I try to
:: download updates I get the message saying:- I need to install the
:: disc for XP Professional with front page. I do not have the disc .
:: XP was installed in my computer when I bought it. When I check my
:: add/remove program page it says XP Professional with front page is
:: on my computer, I have Version 5.1 build 2600: service pack 3
:: would downloading and running Chkdsk help?

Look for your Office XP disk not a Windows XP disk
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: XP Service Pack 3
Insert your Office (XP?) CD into the appropriate drive-bay before attempting
to install it again.