Problems With Clean Install

harlemnocturn

Problems With Clean Install
Prior to my "blue screens," I ran XP Pro SP2 with IE7. My laptop
manufacturer, Toshiba, advised me to do a clean install with my Recovery
Disk, to which I agreed given the severity of my problems. Having
reinstalled Windows and my production programs, I now have two Windows
related problems: 1) I cannot install IE7 after reviewing the steps of my
past threads, so I rolled back to IE6 through System Restore, which gives
rise to 2) I cannot use Windows Update since the screen indicates that I am
not the Administrator, even though Control Panel, User Accounts indicates
that I am. I will be grateful to whoever can assist.
harlemnocturn

RE: Problems With Clean Install
Sorry I forgot to cross-post.

"harlemnocturn" wrote:

> Prior to my "blue screens," I ran XP Pro SP2 with IE7. My laptop
> manufacturer, Toshiba, advised me to do a clean install with my Recovery
> Disk, to which I agreed given the severity of my problems. Having
> reinstalled Windows and my production programs, I now have two Windows
> related problems: 1) I cannot install IE7 after reviewing the steps of my
> past threads, so I rolled back to IE6 through System Restore, which gives
> rise to 2) I cannot use Windows Update since the screen indicates that I am
> not the Administrator, even though Control Panel, User Accounts indicates
> that I am. I will be grateful to whoever can assist.

Re: Problems With Clean Install
Did you format your HDD prior to doing the clean install?

If IE7 would not install, why did you have to "roll back to IE6" via System
Restore?

harlemnocturn wrote:
> Prior to my "blue screens," I ran XP Pro SP2 with IE7. My laptop
> manufacturer, Toshiba, advised me to do a clean install with my Recovery
> Disk, to which I agreed given the severity of my problems. Having
> reinstalled Windows and my production programs, I now have two Windows
> related problems: 1) I cannot install IE7 after reviewing the steps of my
> past threads, so I rolled back to IE6 through System Restore, which gives
> rise to 2) I cannot use Windows Update since the screen indicates that I
> am
> not the Administrator, even though Control Panel, User Accounts indicates
> that I am. I will be grateful to whoever can assist.

harlemnocturn

Re: Problems With Clean Install
My computer came with a Recovery Disk with simple instructions. Formatting
was not one of the steps. My version of XP already came with IE6, so it
seemed simpler to do System Restore.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you format your HDD prior to doing the clean install?
>
> If IE7 would not install, why did you have to "roll back to IE6" via System
> Restore?
>

> harlemnocturn wrote:
> > Prior to my "blue screens," I ran XP Pro SP2 with IE7. My laptop
> > manufacturer, Toshiba, advised me to do a clean install with my Recovery
> > Disk, to which I agreed given the severity of my problems. Having
> > reinstalled Windows and my production programs, I now have two Windows
> > related problems: 1) I cannot install IE7 after reviewing the steps of my
> > past threads, so I rolled back to IE6 through System Restore, which gives
> > rise to 2) I cannot use Windows Update since the screen indicates that I
> > am
> > not the Administrator, even though Control Panel, User Accounts indicates
> > that I am. I will be grateful to whoever can assist.

Re: Problems With Clean Install
Let me make a long, involved story short: When Toshiba advised to you to do
a clean install, they wanted you to (1) back-up any personal data and (2)
format the HDD before (3) using the Recovery Disk to return the computer to
OOBE state (i.e., like it was when it left the factory & you first turned it
on). Contact Toshiba Support again for clearer instructions then do it.

harlemnocturn wrote:
> My computer came with a Recovery Disk with simple instructions.
> Formatting
> was not one of the steps. My version of XP already came with IE6, so it
> seemed simpler to do System Restore.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Did you format your HDD prior to doing the clean install?
>>
>> If IE7 would not install, why did you have to "roll back to IE6" via
>> System
>> Restore?
>>
>> harlemnocturn wrote:
>>> Prior to my "blue screens," I ran XP Pro SP2 with IE7. My laptop
>>> manufacturer, Toshiba, advised me to do a clean install with my Recovery
>>> Disk, to which I agreed given the severity of my problems. Having
>>> reinstalled Windows and my production programs, I now have two Windows
>>> related problems: 1) I cannot install IE7 after reviewing the steps of
>>> my
>>> past threads, so I rolled back to IE6 through System Restore, which
>>> gives
>>> rise to 2) I cannot use Windows Update since the screen indicates that I
>>> am
>>> not the Administrator, even though Control Panel, User Accounts
>>> indicates
>>> that I am. I will be grateful to whoever can assist.

harlemnocturn

Re: Problems With Clean Install
PA Bear

I just spoke to Toshiba Techincal Support now. They said that reformatting
as a separate step is not necessary because the Recovery Disk process takes
care of that. However, they cannot really support upgrading above factory
conditions. They suggested saving IE7 to the desktop and then installing it.
Should I try it? I suspect maybe every trace of IE6 must be removed first.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Let me make a long, involved story short: When Toshiba advised to you to do
> a clean install, they wanted you to (1) back-up any personal data and (2)
> format the HDD before (3) using the Recovery Disk to return the computer to
> OOBE state (i.e., like it was when it left the factory & you first turned it
> on). Contact Toshiba Support again for clearer instructions then do it.
>

> harlemnocturn wrote:
> > My computer came with a Recovery Disk with simple instructions.
> > Formatting
> > was not one of the steps. My version of XP already came with IE6, so it
> > seemed simpler to do System Restore.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Did you format your HDD prior to doing the clean install?
> >>
> >> If IE7 would not install, why did you have to "roll back to IE6" via
> >> System
> >> Restore?

Re: Problems With Clean Install
After you used the Recovery Disk, was all of your data (e.g., My Documents;
messages that had been downloaded into your Mail Client) still available and
were all of your third-party applications still installed?

If IE7 truly "did not install," you would've received an error message to
that effect and you'd still be running IE6...so there'd be no need to use
System Restore.

Tip: Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" the install of an update, a
Windows Service Pack, or an IE upgrade without having first uninstalled the
update in question.

harlemnocturn wrote:
> I just spoke to Toshiba Techincal Support now. They said that
> reformatting
> as a separate step is not necessary because the Recovery Disk process
> takes
> care of that. However, they cannot really support upgrading above factory
> conditions. They suggested saving IE7 to the desktop and then installing
> it. Should I try it? I suspect maybe every trace of IE6 must be removed
> first.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Let me make a long, involved story short: When Toshiba advised to you to
>> do
>> a clean install, they wanted you to (1) back-up any personal data and (2)
>> format the HDD before (3) using the Recovery Disk to return the computer
>> OOBE state (i.e., like it was when it left the factory & you first turned
>> it on). Contact Toshiba Support again for clearer instructions then do
>> it.
>>

>> harlemnocturn wrote:
>>> My computer came with a Recovery Disk with simple instructions.
>>> Formatting
>>> was not one of the steps. My version of XP already came with IE6, so it
>>> seemed simpler to do System Restore.

harlemnocturn

Re: Problems With Clean Install
No, I had to back up my data files. Third party applications, including
production programs by Corel and MS were not available and were uninstalled.
On the first installation of IE7 I received an error message with a red X. I
think it required a restart. After I installed IE7, the window would open
for a second without populating.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> After you used the Recovery Disk, was all of your data (e.g., My Documents;
> messages that had been downloaded into your Mail Client) still available and
> were all of your third-party applications still installed?
>
> If IE7 truly "did not install," you would've received an error message to
> that effect and you'd still be running IE6...so there'd be no need to use
> System Restore.
>
> Tip: Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" the install of an update, a
> Windows Service Pack, or an IE upgrade without having first uninstalled the
> update in question.
>

> harlemnocturn wrote:
> > I just spoke to Toshiba Techincal Support now. They said that
> > reformatting
> > as a separate step is not necessary because the Recovery Disk process
> > takes
> > care of that. However, they cannot really support upgrading above factory
> > conditions. They suggested saving IE7 to the desktop and then installing
> > it. Should I try it? I suspect maybe every trace of IE6 must be removed
> > first.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Let me make a long, involved story short: When Toshiba advised to you to
> >> do
> >> a clean install, they wanted you to (1) back-up any personal data and (2)
> >> format the HDD before (3) using the Recovery Disk to return the computer
> >> OOBE state (i.e., like it was when it left the factory & you first turned
> >> it on). Contact Toshiba Support again for clearer instructions then do
> >> it.

Re: Problems With Clean Install
Please reconfirm that you're running WinXP SP2, not SP3.

> ...After I installed IE7, the window would open
> for a second without populating.

Did you uninstall "Windows Internet Explorer 7" via Add/Remove Programs
prior to using System Restore?

Is "Windows Internet Explorer 7" currently listed in Add/Remove Programs?

Are you certain that you attempted to install IE7, not IE8? (IE7 would not
have been offered by Windows Update.)

Has a(another) Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this
it and which may have been reinstalled, but invalid, when you used the
Recovery Disk)?

harlemnocturn wrote:
> No, I had to back up my data files. Third party applications, including
> production programs by Corel and MS were not available and were
> uninstalled.
> On the first installation of IE7 I received an error message with a red X.
> I think it required a restart. After I installed IE7, the window would
> open
> for a second without populating.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> After you used the Recovery Disk, was all of your data (e.g., My
>> Documents;
>> messages that had been downloaded into your Mail Client) still available
>> and were all of your third-party applications still installed?
>>
>> If IE7 truly "did not install," you would've received an error message to
>> that effect and you'd still be running IE6...so there'd be no need to use
>> System Restore.
>>
>> Tip: Never, EVER use System Restore to "undo" the install of an update, a
>> Windows Service Pack, or an IE upgrade without having first uninstalled
>> the
>> update in question.
>>
>> harlemnocturn wrote:
>>> I just spoke to Toshiba Techincal Support now. They said that
>>> reformatting
>>> as a separate step is not necessary because the Recovery Disk process
>>> takes
>>> care of that. However, they cannot really support upgrading above
>>> factory
>>> conditions. They suggested saving IE7 to the desktop and then
>>> installing
>>> it. Should I try it? I suspect maybe every trace of IE6 must be removed
>>> first.

harlemnocturn

Re: Problems With Clean Install
PA Bear

Originally, the computer came with XP SP2, but with subsequent updates, it
is now SP3. No, I did not use Add/Remove Programs to remove IE7. I never
tried to install IE8. In fact, four months ago you assisted me in rolling
back to IE7 from IE8, and I had your previous instructions out for me to
read. IE7 still came up on Update because IE6 was in the original system, to
which my Recovery Disk restored. My security software is Threat Fire, Avira
and Online Armor. Usually, I have Spybot and Spyware Blaster, but since the
Recovery, I have not yet reinstalled these last two.