Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Re: No more screensaver after SP3 update

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2009
Richard
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No more screensaver after SP3 update
[see bottom reply]
[cross posted to windowsupdate from help_and_support]
>>> "SergioQ" <sergio@warptv.com> wrote in message
>>> news:49bf3b8a-34a3-4b2d-9a11-ddc1b006e1e1@d9g2000prh.googlegroups.com
>>>
>>> My machine is as clean as a whistle. No viruses, bots, or the likes
>>> (according to Norton, Ad-aware, etc.). My HD is always
>>> defraged...etc.
>>>
>>> But ever since I did the SP3 update, my screensaver only activates 1%
>>> of the time. That includes the Power Saving settings as well (monitor
>>> off).
>>>
>>> I can manually start the screensaver and it will stay on, but that's
>>> it, and it's annoying.
>>>
>>> I have NO hookups with wireless keyboards or the likes.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have an inkling as to what is going on, or what I can do?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>>
>>> Sergio


>> On Sep 7, 9:44 pm, "Shenan Stanley" <newshel...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Check for hardware driver updates from the hardware manufacturers of your
>> computer components. In particular, the motherboard chipset, the video
>> device, etc.


> "SergioQ" <sergio@warptv.com> wrote in message
> news:e17ded76-c918-45fc-b07f-58b4c7ed7d6b@y10g2000prf.googlegroups.com...
> Did it, and still nothing. I was going to say I didn't think it would
> work since once I manually activate the SS it won't go off. But this
> is getting to be a bit ridiculous.
>
> Any other thoughts?


Hi Sergio,

This is a long shot, but something to check:
Click Start, click Run, type or paste next line and press Enter:
%SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc
In Computer Management, expand (+)Services and Applications
Click Services, Look for Task Scheduler and Windows Time.
Are both Started and Automatic? Also this:
System Event Notification [tracks power events]

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode to see if your SS works there?

Did you make any other changes besides SP3?

Was your Norton anti-virus active when you installed SP3?

Did you close all open programs during installation?

How did you download and install SP3? from Windows Updates?

Were you experiencing previous problems that you thought SP3 would fix?

Did you follow all the pre-install guidance?
Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

IEBlog IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480

In the list of fixes, this next is the only Screen saver item I saw:
Screen saver does not start if the Windows Security dialog box is open
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884851/

I have crossposted this message to the windowsupdate newsgroup in case the
experts there have any suggestions. Some more information about your
particular computer configuration may be helpful.

Before SP3, were you at Service Pack 1 or SP2 level?

What edition of XP? (Home, Professional, Media Center Edition, x64?)

Desktop or Laptop computer? (Uninterruptible Power Supply?)

What version of Norton? What version of Ad-aware? What other anti-malware?

Have you ever used a registry cleaner?

Are you the only user of the computer? (Got pets?

Important: What Screen Saver? One of the Windows screen savers?

(Hope this helps.
--Richard



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2009
SergioQ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No more screensaver after SP3 update
On Sep 18, 5:20*am, "Richard" <rich...@avbtab.org> wrote:
>
> %SystemRoot%\system32\compmgmt.msc
> In Computer Management, expand (+)Services and Applications
> Click Services, Look for Task Scheduler and Windows Time.
> Are both Started and Automatic? Also this:
> System Event Notification [tracks power events]
>
> Have you tried starting in Safe Mode to see if your SS works there?
>
> Did you make any other changes besides SP3?
>
> Was your Norton anti-virus active when you installed SP3?
>
> Did you close all open programs during installation?
>
> How did you download and install SP3? from Windows Updates?
>
> Were you experiencing previous problems that you thought SP3 would fix?
>
> Did you follow all the pre-install guidance?
> Steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717
>
> IEBlog *IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2008/05/05/ie-and-xpsp3.aspx
>
> List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480
>
> In the list of fixes, this next is the only Screen saver item I saw:
> Screen saver does not start if the Windows Security dialog box is openhttp://support.microsoft.com/kb/884851/
>
> I have crossposted this message to the windowsupdate newsgroup in case the
> experts there have any suggestions. Some more information about your
> particular computer configuration may be helpful.
>
> Before SP3, were you at Service Pack 1 or SP2 level?
>
> What edition of XP? (Home, Professional, Media Center Edition, x64?)
>
> Desktop or Laptop computer? (Uninterruptible Power Supply?)
>
> What version of Norton? What version of Ad-aware? What other anti-malware?
>
> Have you ever used a registry cleaner?
>
> Are you the only user of the computer? (Got pets?
>
> Important: What Screen Saver? One of the Windows screen savers?
>
> (Hope this helps.
> --Richard- Hide quoted text -



Hi Richard,

Did all you asked, nothing. Will try it in Safe Mode, see what
happens.
The SP3 install was a mess. Crashed a million times, finally had to
go through MS knowledge base. It was beyond a pain.

Yes, I have NAV, yes am only using the regular screensaver, yes I
have beyond cleaned my machine.

Postings on the web seem to indicate that I am not the only one, I
have no idea. But not only is this annoying, but the non-ability to
communicate with MS on things like this is getting t obe too much.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 09-18-2009
SergioQ
 

Posts: n/a
Re: No more screensaver after SP3 update
And no, it doesn't work properly in Safe Mode either.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
instAllshield update service update manager vista error requirespermission Nunya Beeswax microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 12 04-16-2009 03:03
windows update fails to update to new version with error code 8007 vijay microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 01-14-2009 07:25
Latest Windows Update/Vista Update Speeds up Boot/Startup Ross M. Greenberg microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 05-29-2008 01:22
Article ID: 927532 When you use Windows Update to install an update in Windows Vista, the update may not appear in the Programs and Features item in Control Panel KBArticles English 0 10-22-2007 20:00
RE: Windows update error 80070103 - Beta 2 Vista NVIDIA Driver Update =?Utf-8?B?Sm9obiBIdW1waHJleXM=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 02-28-2007 15:26




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:17.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120