client failed to report to WSUS server

davtan

client failed to report to WSUS server
There is an error logged in the Client windowupdate.log when the automatic
update client tries to check the WSUS server for patches.

Here is the error " WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
http://XX.XX.XX.XX:8530/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error 0x80190194"

I did a checked on the IIS Administration Manager on the WSUS server and
noticed that the Selfupdate virtual directory is missing from IIS under the
WSUS Administration

There was a patch (KB948014 - Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1)
released to WSUS Server on 10 Sept, based on the WSUSSetup.log, this patch
actually removed the current WSUS application and install a new WSUS with the
latest update/patches. We suspected that there could be an error during the
installation that caused the missing directory in IIS configuration.

can anyone advise further how to resolve the issue and what is the actual
cause?

Re: client failed to report to WSUS server
[[ Right pew, wrong church. Forwarded to WSUS newsgroup
(microsoft.public.windows.server.update_services) via crosspost as a
convenience to OP.

On the web:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

In your newsreader:
]]

davtan wrote:
> There is an error logged in the Client windowupdate.log when the automatic
> update client tries to check the WSUS server for patches.
>
> Here is the error " WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://XX.XX.XX.XX:8530/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error 0x80190194"
>
> I did a checked on the IIS Administration Manager on the WSUS server and
> noticed that the Selfupdate virtual directory is missing from IIS under
> the
> WSUS Administration
>
> There was a patch (KB948014 - Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1)
> released to WSUS Server on 10 Sept, based on the WSUSSetup.log, this patch
> actually removed the current WSUS application and install a new WSUS with
> the latest update/patches. We suspected that there could be an error
> during
> the installation that caused the missing directory in IIS configuration.
>
> can anyone advise further how to resolve the issue and what is the actual
> cause?

Lawrence Garvin [MVP]

davtan wrote:
> There is an error logged in the Client windowupdate.log when the automatic
> update client tries to check the WSUS server for patches.
>
> Here is the error " WARNING: DownloadFileInternal failed for
> http://XX.XX.XX.XX:8530/selfupdate/wuident.cab: error 0x80190194"
>
> I did a checked on the IIS Administration Manager on the WSUS server and
> noticed that the Selfupdate virtual directory is missing from IIS under
> the WSUS Administration

>> There was a patch (KB948014 - Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1)
>> released to WSUS Server on 10 Sept, based on the WSUSSetup.log, this
>> patch
>> actually removed the current WSUS application and install a new WSUS with
>> the latest update/patches.

Uh.. yeah... but it wasn't released to the WSUS Server on 9/10/2009,
although you might have only recently approved it. WSUS v3 Service Pack 1
was actually released in August, 2008.

This is a well known, but unfortunately undocumented, issue where the
installer fails to recreate the selfupdate v-dir following the upgrade.

>> can anyone advise further how to resolve the issue

1. Create a virtual directory named "selfupdate".
2. Assign the path to C:\Program Files\Update Services\selfupdate
3. Enable anonymous access.

Repeat and rinse on the Default Web Site v-root if it's also missing from
there.

> and what is the actual cause?

A bug in the WSU3SP1 installer.

btw.. the bug has been fixed in the WSUS3 Service Pack 2 package -- which
was released on 8/25/2009.

--
Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCITP:EA, MCDBA

davtan

Re: client failed to report to WSUS server
Thank you very much.