Cant Install Vista SP2

Justin

Cant Install Vista SP2
Aoutomatic update say's i need to install it so i do.... but then a small
dialog box pops up and says Access Denied. Then automatic update says that it
cant install updates and it gives me error code 5.

what do i do?
thanks to all that help

Re: Cant Install Vista SP2
Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support for Windows
Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) is valid until November 26, 2009. Availability of
chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=582034 &
select appropriate category (i.e., Download issue; Installation issue;
Issues after you install a service pack).

You'll find additional support for Vista SP2 issues in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.general newsgroup and in these forums:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...stawu/threads/

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...nstall/threads

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...stasp/threads/

www.banthecheck.com

Justin wrote:
> Aoutomatic update say's i need to install it so i do.... but then a small
> dialog box pops up and says Access Denied. Then automatic update says that
> it cant install updates and it gives me error code 5.
>
> what do i do?
> thanks to all that help

TaurArian

Re: Cant Install Vista SP2
Justin wrote:
:: Aoutomatic update say's i need to install it so i do.... but then a
:: small dialog box pops up and says Access Denied. Then automatic
:: update says that it cant install updates and it gives me error code
:: 5.
::
:: what do i do?
:: thanks to all that help

The error code 0x80070005 is also described as ACCESS DENIED (you do not
have permission to install updates.

Please check that you have logged on an account with administrative
privileges.

Please follow these instructions if you are encountering this error code
when checking or installing updates via Windows Udpate. The following is
only applicable to Windows Vista.

1. Download AccessChk (Sysinternals). This tool allows you to evaluate the
access level of specific users or groups of resources including files,
directories, Registry keys, global objects and Windows services. Here's the
link to download the tool:

2. Save the zip file on your desktop, and extract the file:
- Right click on the file, and select Extract All...
- Click Next when prompted for the Destination.

As a result, you should see a folder called AccessChk on your desktop.

3. Open the folder AccessChk

4. Hold the shift-key and right click in the window. Select "Open Command
Prompt Here"

5. A command prompt window should open with a similar prompt:
C:\Users\<USERNAME>\Desktop\accesschk>

6. Type the following command, and press Enter:
accesschk.exe -s -n "nt service\trustedinstaller" -k
"hklm\software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Co mponent Based Servicing"
>accesskchk.txt

Tip: You should be able to copy and paste the command into the command
prompt.

7. Close the Command Prompt Window. Open the Accesschk folder on yoru
desktop (if it has been closed).

8. Double click on Accesschk.txt (the text file), this should open Notepad.

If this does not help,

1. Please download the subinacl.msi file from the following link and save
the installation patch onto the Desktop:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...inityDownloads
SubInACL (SubInACL.exe)

2. Please go to the Desktop and double click the downloaded file.
3. Please select the C:\Windows\System32 folder as the Destination Folder
during the installation. Later we will use this tool to reset the permission
settings on the current machine.
4. Click the "Start" Button, in the "Start Search" bar, type: "notepad"
(without quotes) and press Enter.
5. Copy the following commands and then paste them into the opened Notepad
window:

@echo off

subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=administrators=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CURRENT_USER /grant=system=f
subinacl /subkeyreg HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT /grant=system=f
subinacl /subdirectories %SystemDrive% /grant=system=f

@Echo =========================
@Echo Finished.
@Echo =========================
@pause

6. After pasting the above commands, please close the Notepad window. Choose
"Save" when you are prompted to save the file. Type "reset.bat" as the file
name and choose "Desktop" from the left panel as the save location.

7. Refer to the Desktop and right click the reset.bat file, then choose "Run
as administrator."

8. You will see a DOS-like window processing.

NOTE: It may take several minutes, please be patient. When it is finished,
you will be prompted with the message: "Finished, press any key to
continue".

Note: About some driver update installation procedure, we also received this
error code, please reroute this kind of case to Vista System Team, because,
it may regard for third party programs structure.

Check for the updates after this.

Hope this information is useful.

This issue can be also caused by third-party security programs such as
firewalls and anti-virus software. You can disable or remove them to check
the issue.

From: Microsoft Answers Support Engineer
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...istawu/threads
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org