Automatic update of XP SP3 fails 0x51f error

Tonysp3

Automatic update of XP SP3 fails 0x51f error
Have attempted to install XP Service Pack 3 several times but get the same
error message 0x51f. Any ideas on how to overcome this problem would be
appreciated.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Automatic update of XP SP3 fails 0x51f error
Tonysp3 wrote:
> Have attempted to install XP Service Pack 3 several times but get
> the same error message 0x51f. Any ideas on how to overcome this
> problem would be appreciated.

Before it is asked 'why so much just to install a service pack' - the fact
is that many things in this list could be avoided with just a few hours of
time each month or two dedicated to proper computer maintenance. This
cleanup just takes into account all cleanups - and if followed - at least
you start and end up with something that is easier to troubleshoot if it
still has issues.

Here's some step-by-step instructions that should smooth the ride to SP3 for
you...

First - before anything else - answer this:

Do you have an HP branded computer with an AMD processor?
(If so - answer and wait. If not, answer and continue with the steps.)

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Now for SP3...

1) Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

You are just saving it right now - not running it yet.

2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. If you are following
along, you have already done this!

3) CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

4) Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3. Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable. Reboot when requested to
do so. Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes. Reboot.
Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Automatic update of XP SP3 fails 0x51f error
Is WinXP SP2 installed?

Free unlimited installation and compatibility support for WinXP SP3 was
available from 14 April 2008 thru mid-May 2009. Such support will cost you
US$59 per incident now.
www.banthecheck.com

Tonysp3 wrote:
> Have attempted to install XP Service Pack 3 several times but get the
> same
> error message 0x51f. Any ideas on how to overcome this problem would be
> appreciated.

TaurArian

Tonysp3 wrote:
:: Have attempted to install XP Service Pack 3 several times but get
:: the same error message 0x51f. Any ideas on how to overcome this
:: problem would be appreciated.

Error 51F usually refers to an office update.

Are you installing an Office SP3 or Windows XP SP3 -

Just in case it's office -

How to troubleshoot failures updating your Office installation from the
Office Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304498
The Office Update site is currently experiencing some technical difficulties
and is unable to check for updates.
.. Error! The catalog cannot be displayed.
.. Installation unsuccessful.
.. The Office Update Catalog cannot be displayed.
.. The Office Update site is unable to check for updates on this computer.
.. Error 0x80070641
.. Error 0x51F
.. Error 0x530
.. Error 80070643
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Tonysp3

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> [...]

> time. Rebooting as needed.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
> "Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
> Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
> Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
> step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
> until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
> you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
> through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
> ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.
>
> Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you

Thanks for the comprehensive info.

OK, have followed the advice but on installing SP3 the installation fails
during setup. This is at the point of updating Registry Keys, an error
message "Access is denied" appears.

Also I have Run winver and this comes back with Version 5.1 (Build
2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3)

Does this mean that SP3 is installed? If so why does the Automatic Update
keep telling me that SP3 is ready to be installed (and then fails to install)?

Thanks

Tonysp3 wrote:
> Thanks for the comprehensive info.
>
> OK, have followed the advice but on installing SP3 the installation
> fails during setup. This is at the point of updating Registry
> Keys, an error message "Access is denied" appears.
>
> Also I have Run winver and this comes back with Version 5.1 (Build
> 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234 : Service Pack 3)
>
> Does this mean that SP3 is installed? If so why does the Automatic
> Update keep telling me that SP3 is ready to be installed (and then
> fails to install)?

You are still getting "Access Denied" and you did the first step (after
verifying you don't have an HP with an AMD processor)?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

Did any of the other steps find issues?
- Malware found?
- Free up any drive space?
- CHKDSK find anything?
- Defragment take a long time?

What happens when you visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and perform
a custom scan?

Yes, according to your "winver" information you have the released version of
SP3 installed.