I have a genuine license and choose not to install the WGA since it is of no benefit and only confirms what I already know (that my license is genuine). ...but, if you say the WGA will open some functionality to AU, maybe this is a good time to just install the darn thing to save the headache...
For those who may not want to install WGA, try these steps. This is exactly what I did on my system and after dealing with this issue for over a year, the shield works. I am using WinXP Professional v5.1 Service Pack 3. My AU is set to "Download updates for me, but let me choose when to install them."
- Open a command line window.
- Type gpedit.msc
- Open Computer Configuration-->Administrative Templates-->Windows Components-->Windows Update
- Find Reschedule Automatic Updates scheduled installations.
- Enable this option and set to 1 minute
- Apply the changes and close the group policy window.
- Navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\
- Change Windows Explorer to View-->Details.
- Open the command line window.
- Type "wuauclt /detectnow".
- Pay attention to the modified date for the ReportingEvents.log file. When it changes, open the log file with notepad and look at the end of the file.
- If you need updates, you should see a new entry saying something like "Windows Update Client successfully detected x updates". If these x updates have been downloaded already, you should also see a previous entry that says the updates have been downloaded and ready for installation.
- Close the log file.
- Change the system date to more than 7 days in the future.
- Type "wuauclt /detectnow" again.
- The shield should appear in aprox 1 minute.
- Change the date back to the correct date.
- Install your updates.
You will need to repeat the last 5 steps if your system requires subsequent updates.
If these steps worked for you, please post your success.
Posted as a reply to:
viewing updates before install - tg
The yellow shield is deliberately hidden for 1 to 7 days anytime the updates include the WGA (genuine advantage validation) components.
They do this, of course, to block you from choosing not to install it.
Any time now - expect them to not let you get your yellow shield back *unless* you install that update. Beats me why they keep letting people choose not to install that up to now.
EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
WCF Workflow Services Using External Data Exchange