Does WSUS / Windows Update automatically reinstall uninstalled pat

Bret - Smart & Biggar

Does WSUS / Windows Update automatically reinstall uninstalled pat
I've been searching for an answer to this all morning, and probably I'm
suffering searcher's block and can't pick the right key words, but I can't
find the answer.

In our environment - Server 2003, WSUS 3.0, XP desktops - we finally
approved XP SP3 for the client machines, and had a couple problems and a
certain few machines that required uninstalling SP3. Will WSUS / Windows
Update Agent try to reinstall the service pack again at the next scheduled
update (detecting it as not present, but approved), or does it know that it
was already installed once then uninstalled, and not try to install it again?

If it is the former, how can I leave SP3 approved for the rest of the
organisation and prevent its install on the few machines that still need to
be addressed, short of creating a new OU just for them?

If it is the latter, how do I tell get it to install later once we've
addressed the issues?
MowGreen

Re: Does WSUS / Windows Update automatically reinstall uninstalledpat
Bret,

Suggest you post this to the WSUS newsgroup:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services

This NG, Windows Update, deals with client issues.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Bret - Smart & Biggar wrote:

> I've been searching for an answer to this all morning, and probably I'm
> suffering searcher's block and can't pick the right key words, but I can't
> find the answer.
>
> In our environment - Server 2003, WSUS 3.0, XP desktops - we finally
> approved XP SP3 for the client machines, and had a couple problems and a
> certain few machines that required uninstalling SP3. Will WSUS / Windows
> Update Agent try to reinstall the service pack again at the next scheduled
> update (detecting it as not present, but approved), or does it know that it
> was already installed once then uninstalled, and not try to install it again?
>
> If it is the former, how can I leave SP3 approved for the rest of the
> organisation and prevent its install on the few machines that still need to
> be addressed, short of creating a new OU just for them?
>
> If it is the latter, how do I tell get it to install later once we've
> addressed the issues?

Bret - Smart & Biggar

Re: Does WSUS / Windows Update automatically reinstall uninstalled
Mow,

Thank you for your suggestion; I will crosspost to that group as well.
However, I think the client is involved, since it is actually the client that
performs the install of updates that I have approved, and would be performing
the reinstall if it just blindly checks what is already installed and then
launches the install of all approved and not-yet-installed updates.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Bret,
>
> Suggest you post this to the WSUS newsgroup:
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>
> This NG, Windows Update, deals with client issues.
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>

> Bret - Smart & Biggar wrote:
>
> > I've been searching for an answer to this all morning, and probably I'm
> > suffering searcher's block and can't pick the right key words, but I can't
> > find the answer.
> >
> > In our environment - Server 2003, WSUS 3.0, XP desktops - we finally
> > approved XP SP3 for the client machines, and had a couple problems and a
> > certain few machines that required uninstalling SP3. Will WSUS / Windows
> > Update Agent try to reinstall the service pack again at the next scheduled
> > update (detecting it as not present, but approved), or does it know that it
> > was already installed once then uninstalled, and not try to install it again?
> >
> > If it is the former, how can I leave SP3 approved for the rest of the
> > organisation and prevent its install on the few machines that still need to
> > be addressed, short of creating a new OU just for them?
> >
> > If it is the latter, how do I tell get it to install later once we've
> > addressed the issues?

Re: Does WSUS / Windows Update automatically reinstall uninstalled
Multiposting vs Crossposting:

Bret - Smart & Biggar wrote:
> Mow,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion; I will crosspost to that group as well.
> However, I think the client is involved, since it is actually the client
> that performs the install of updates that I have approved, and would be
> performing the reinstall if it just blindly checks what is already
> installed and then launches the install of all approved and
> not-yet-installed updates.
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>
>> Bret,
>>
>> Suggest you post this to the WSUS newsgroup:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>>
>> This NG, Windows Update, deals with client issues.
>>

>> MowGreen
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>
>> banthecheck.com
>> "Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>>

>> Bret - Smart & Biggar wrote:
>>
>>> I've been searching for an answer to this all morning, and probably I'm
>>> suffering searcher's block and can't pick the right key words, but I
>>> can't
>>> find the answer.
>>>
>>> In our environment - Server 2003, WSUS 3.0, XP desktops - we finally
>>> approved XP SP3 for the client machines, and had a couple problems and a
>>> certain few machines that required uninstalling SP3. Will WSUS /
>>> Windows
>>> Update Agent try to reinstall the service pack again at the next
>>> scheduled
>>> update (detecting it as not present, but approved), or does it know that
>>> it was already installed once then uninstalled, and not try to install
>>> it
>>> again?
>>>
>>> If it is the former, how can I leave SP3 approved for the rest of the
>>> organisation and prevent its install on the few machines that still need
>>> to be addressed, short of creating a new OU just for them?
>>>
>>> If it is the latter, how do I tell get it to install later once we've
>>> addressed the issues?

Bret - Smart & Biggar

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> Multiposting vs Crossposting:
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm

Thanks for the clarification.

> Bret - Smart & Biggar wrote:
> > Mow,
> >
> > Thank you for your suggestion; I will crosspost to that group as well.
> > However, I think the client is involved, since it is actually the client
> > that performs the install of updates that I have approved, and would be
> > performing the reinstall if it just blindly checks what is already
> > installed and then launches the install of all approved and
> > not-yet-installed updates.
> >
> > "MowGreen" wrote:
> >
> >> Bret,
> >>
> >> Suggest you post this to the WSUS newsgroup:
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
> >>
> >> This NG, Windows Update, deals with client issues.
> >>

> >> MowGreen
> >> ===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >> Never Forgotten
> >> ===============
> >>
> >> banthecheck.com

MowGreen

Re: Does WSUS / Windows Update automatically reinstall uninstalled
There are more variables involved with WSUS than there are with a
standalone system that update directly from the MS update servers, Bret.

In theory, yes, the client should have SP3 offered to it by WSUS
*IF* the installation and subsequent uninstall of it went according to
Hoyle.
You mention " it is actually the client that performs the install of
updates that I have approved " ... so, I have to ask, approved from
within the WSUS console or the client ?

Reality and theory collide sometimes in the 'MS universe' .. which is
why I suggested you ask the WSUS experts. <w>

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Bret - Smart & Biggar wrote:

> Mow,
>
> Thank you for your suggestion; I will crosspost to that group as well.
> However, I think the client is involved, since it is actually the client that
> performs the install of updates that I have approved, and would be performing
> the reinstall if it just blindly checks what is already installed and then
> launches the install of all approved and not-yet-installed updates.
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>

>>Bret,
>>
>>Suggest you post this to the WSUS newsgroup:
>>http://www.microsoft.com/communities... date_services
>>
>>This NG, Windows Update, deals with client issues.
>>

>>MowGreen
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>
>>banthecheck.com
>>"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"
>>

>>Bret - Smart & Biggar wrote:
>>

>>>I've been searching for an answer to this all morning, and probably I'm
>>>suffering searcher's block and can't pick the right key words, but I can't
>>>find the answer.
>>>
>>>In our environment - Server 2003, WSUS 3.0, XP desktops - we finally
>>>approved XP SP3 for the client machines, and had a couple problems and a
>>>certain few machines that required uninstalling SP3. Will WSUS / Windows
>>>Update Agent try to reinstall the service pack again at the next scheduled
>>>update (detecting it as not present, but approved), or does it know that it
>>>was already installed once then uninstalled, and not try to install it again?
>>>
>>>If it is the former, how can I leave SP3 approved for the rest of the
>>>organisation and prevent its install on the few machines that still need to
>>>be addressed, short of creating a new OU just for them?
>>>
>>>If it is the latter, how do I tell get it to install later once we've
>>>addressed the issues?

Bret - Smart & Biggar

Re: Does WSUS / Windows Update automatically reinstall uninstalled
My question was asked and answered in the group you indicated. Thanks again
for the pointer, Mow.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...d-6eb239993f5e

"MowGreen" wrote:
> You mention " it is actually the client that performs the install of
> updates that I have approved " ... so, I have to ask, approved from
> within the WSUS console or the client ?

I approve the updates within the WSUS console, per OU, and they deploy
accordingly to the clients.