KB973768

boop

KB973768
I can not get it to installed. How do I solve the issue
Kevin

Re: KB973768
Download from here, Save it to your desktop or temp directory, then try
installing from your HD by double-clicking on the file you have
downloaded.

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=46aa443c-4e7b-4bd5-8b4e-0068c3dc0e79#tm>

If any problems post again with the message you get on the screen.

hth

boop wrote:

> I can not get it to installed. How do I solve the issue

Re: KB973768
See
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f4dd908f58523e

boop wrote:
> I can not get it to installed. How do I solve the issue

Bethel95

RE: KB973768
I've had the same problem. Here's what I've found:

Referring to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973768, in the "Applies To"
section (near the bottom of the page), update KB973768 applies only to XP
systems with MCE 2005 installed--not those with MCE 2002 (as my system has).

I'm guessing that the Windows Update checker is at fault, and is prescribing
this update based on invalid criteria (e.g., looking only for an MCE
installation, but not checking for MCE version).

Based on the above, if you have MCE 2002 installed, you could safely tell
Windows Update to ignore this particular update. To confirm this, right-click
on "My Computer" and select "Properties"--the dialog box will display your
Windows and MCE version.

"boop" wrote:

> I can not get it to installed. How do I solve the issue

Marilyn

RE: KB973768
I have the same problem., and I have spent hours on the phone with Microsoft.
They finally told me to forget it.

This is a Media Center--Microsoft conflict. Going to System and seeing the
version number 2002 is not necesarily accurate because of the way it was
originally installed. Go to Media Center, click on settings and you will see,
as I do, Version 2005.

I hope someone eventually figures this out because it is an important update
if your Media Center settings say 2005.

"Bethel95" wrote:

> I've had the same problem. Here's what I've found:
>
> Referring to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973768, in the "Applies To"
> section (near the bottom of the page), update KB973768 applies only to XP
> systems with MCE 2005 installed--not those with MCE 2002 (as my system has).
>
> I'm guessing that the Windows Update checker is at fault, and is prescribing
> this update based on invalid criteria (e.g., looking only for an MCE
> installation, but not checking for MCE version).
>
> Based on the above, if you have MCE 2002 installed, you could safely tell
> Windows Update to ignore this particular update. To confirm this, right-click
> on "My Computer" and select "Properties"--the dialog box will display your
> Windows and MCE version.
>
> "boop" wrote:
>
> > I can not get it to installed. How do I solve the issue

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: KB973768
Marilyn wrote:

> I have the same problem., and I have spent hours on the phone with Microsoft.
> They finally told me to forget it.
>
> This is a Media Center--Microsoft conflict. Going to System and seeing the
> version number 2002 is not necesarily accurate because of the way it was
> originally installed. Go to Media Center, click on settings and you will see,
> as I do, Version 2005.
>
> I hope someone eventually figures this out because it is an important update
> if your Media Center settings say 2005.

According to the appropriate product team within Microsoft, when you install
Windows XP service pack 2 it includes the upgrade from MCE 2002 to MCE 2005.

So everybody either with XP MCE either (a) needs this update; or (b) needs to
install service pack 2 or 3 *and* needs this update.

Harry.

> "Bethel95" wrote:
>
>> I've had the same problem. Here's what I've found:
>>
>> Referring to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973768, in the "Applies To"
>> section (near the bottom of the page), update KB973768 applies only to XP
>> systems with MCE 2005 installed--not those with MCE 2002 (as my system has).
>>
>> I'm guessing that the Windows Update checker is at fault, and is prescribing
>> this update based on invalid criteria (e.g., looking only for an MCE
>> installation, but not checking for MCE version).
>>
>> Based on the above, if you have MCE 2002 installed, you could safely tell
>> Windows Update to ignore this particular update. To confirm this, right-click
>> on "My Computer" and select "Properties"--the dialog box will display your
>> Windows and MCE version.
>>
>> "boop" wrote:
>>
>>> I can not get it to installed. How do I solve the issue

Marilyn

Re: KB973768
It doesn't matter what the system properties say. If you have version 2005 in
the properties of your media center, then you have 2005....which I have and
can't install because of the system properties error.

Marilyn wrote:

> It doesn't matter what the system properties say. If you have version 2005 in
> the properties of your media center, then you have 2005....which I have and
> can't install because of the system properties error.

Let's start again. You have Windows XP MCE 2005, and you can't install
KB973768; is this right?

Have you tried downloading the update and installing it manually while booted to
Safe Mode?

You can get the update here:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=46aa443c-4e7b-4bd5-8b4e-0068c3dc0e79&displaylang=en>

Harry.

> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Marilyn wrote:
>>
>>> I have the same problem., and I have spent hours on the phone with Microsoft.
>>> They finally told me to forget it.
>>>
>>> This is a Media Center--Microsoft conflict. Going to System and seeing the
>>> version number 2002 is not necesarily accurate because of the way it was
>>> originally installed. Go to Media Center, click on settings and you will see,
>>> as I do, Version 2005.
>>>
>>> I hope someone eventually figures this out because it is an important update
>>> if your Media Center settings say 2005.

>> According to the appropriate product team within Microsoft, when you install
>> Windows XP service pack 2 it includes the upgrade from MCE 2002 to MCE 2005.
>>
>> So everybody either with XP MCE either (a) needs this update; or (b) needs to
>> install service pack 2 or 3 *and* needs this update.
>>
>> Harry.

Marilyn

Re: KB973768
Yes, I have mce 2005, and I have tried installing the update manually. The
microsoft tech took control of my computer and tried many things
unsuccessfully. A supervisor called me and told me to forget it.

Marilyn wrote:

> Yes, I have mce 2005, and I have tried installing the update manually. The
> microsoft tech took control of my computer and tried many things
> unsuccessfully. A supervisor called me and told me to forget it.

I'd recommend reopening the case, and asking for it to be escalated. That
update is specifically designed for MCE, should work, and is necessary.

Harry.