SP3 anoying

bmaz

SP3 anoying
I had to turn off updates because micosoft wants to install sp3 and a bunch
of other modules I really don't think I need. How do I say no and then not
be bothered anymore. This constant message keeps poping up saying I have
updates to install. I must have six different programs that want to auto
update. Then I get these search menu bars allways installing with out me
asking for them. Half of my internet bandwidth is being used to download all
this stuff that is slowing down my computer. I know about the microsoft
updates function in control pannel.
--
God Bless
Know he is comming

Re: SP3 anoying
Should we assume your cavalier attitude towards security means that you
don't have a valid AV app installed either?

NB: Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 12 April 2010 until and unless
SP3 is installed.

> ...Then I get these search menu bars allways installing with out me
> asking for them.

In most cases, you *are* given the option of not installing them...but then
you'd have to be paying attention, too.
--
~PA Bear
www.banthecheck.com

bmaz wrote:
> I had to turn off updates because micosoft wants to install sp3 and a
> bunch
> of other modules I really don't think I need. How do I say no and then
> not
> be bothered anymore. This constant message keeps poping up saying I have
> updates to install. I must have six different programs that want to auto
> update. Then I get these search menu bars allways installing with out me
> asking for them. Half of my internet bandwidth is being used to download
> all this stuff that is slowing down my computer. I know about the
> microsoft
> updates function in control pannel.

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3 anoying
bmaz wrote:
> I had to turn off updates because micosoft wants to install sp3 and
> a bunch of other modules I really don't think I need. How do I say
> no and then not be bothered anymore. This constant message keeps
> poping up saying I have updates to install. I must have six
> different programs that want to auto update. Then I get these
> search menu bars allways installing with out me asking for them.
> Half of my internet bandwidth is being used to download all this
> stuff that is slowing down my computer. I know about the microsoft
> updates function in control pannel.

If you turned off automatic updates - it won't bother you anymore. There is
no magic.

Of course, *your* thinking you don't need something and the reality might be
different - but that too is your choice. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

bmaz

RE: SP3 anoying
You know, When you assume. I do have intentions of installing Sp3 I am
referring to the ability for the auto update to say no not now and then leave
me alone. I suppose your answer is no. I recently looked at my drive and
saw all the updates that had been installed. Over 100. Will Sp3 remove these
since it replaces them? I changed my computer last month so I reinstalled
windows XP prof. I then downloaded all the updates auto. I would like to
know why I have over 100 processes running in task manager. Does a home user
really need all that? If i wanted to investigate what each one was and stop
it from running do you know where I can find this out? Thank you for your
input it was really helpfull.
--
God Bless
Know he is comming

"bmaz" wrote:

> I had to turn off updates because micosoft wants to install sp3 and a bunch
> of other modules I really don't think I need. How do I say no and then not
> be bothered anymore. This constant message keeps poping up saying I have
> updates to install. I must have six different programs that want to auto
> update. Then I get these search menu bars allways installing with out me
> asking for them. Half of my internet bandwidth is being used to download all
> this stuff that is slowing down my computer. I know about the microsoft
> updates function in control pannel.
> --
> God Bless
> Know he is comming
> Brian

Shenan Stanley

Re: SP3 anoying

bmaz wrote:
> You know, When you assume. I do have intentions of installing Sp3
> I am referring to the ability for the auto update to say no not now
> and then leave me alone. I suppose your answer is no. I recently
> looked at my drive and saw all the updates that had been installed.
> Over 100. Will Sp3 remove these since it replaces them? I changed
> my computer last month so I reinstalled windows XP prof. I then
> downloaded all the updates auto. I would like to know why I have
> over 100 processes running in task manager. Does a home user
> really need all that? If i wanted to investigate what each one was
> and stop it from running do you know where I can find this out?
> Thank you for your input it was really helpfull.

Assume? Were we able to do anything else from the original posting?

If you want to change the way autoupdates is working for you - set it to not
download or install - but notify you - then you have all the control but
don't have to manually visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
periodically to check for updates manually. You should be able to uncheck
any from the list you don't want when it tells you what you can install and
then it will ask you if you want to hide those updates (not see them again)
when you tell it to install and you won't be notified about those specific
updates *unless* there is a revision of them later.

SP3 will replace many of your updates - but there have been over 60 released
*since* SP3.

As for your system and how many processes you have running - a lot of that
depends on what you are allowing to load up. Process Explorer is a good way
to look through the list. MSCONFIG startup tab is another to see what you
have starting up with Windows. You might do a quick cleanup (okay - maybe
not so quick - but thorough) cleanup before installing SP3 to ensure it goes
well...

Here's some step-by-step instructions that should smooth the ride to SP3 for
you...

First - before anything else - answer this:

Do you have an HP branded computer with an AMD processor?
(If so - answer and wait. If not, answer and continue with the steps.)

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you'll install SP3 shortly, but not now.)

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Now for SP3...

1) Download the full SP3 installation file.

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Network Installation Package for
IT Professionals and Developers (works just as well for you.)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-1E1555D4F3D4

You are just saving it right now - not running it yet.

2) Ensure (as well as plausible) you have no spyware/malware by doing a full
scan with SuperAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes. If you are following
along, you have already done this!

3) CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

4) Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

5) Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.

6) Reboot right before you try to install SP3.

7) Disconnect from the internet before installing (physically disconnect -
pull the network cable or disable the router/modem.)

8) Disable your antivirus and antispyware applications when you are about to
install SP3. Usually right-click on the icon in the taskbar gives you
a choice to do so.

Install SP3 by running the downloaded executable. Reboot when requested to
do so. Logon and let the machine 'settle' for about 10 minutes. Reboot.
Give it 5 minutes after logon to 'settle' - reboot.

After that - there will be more updates.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

Then - when done - let everyone here know if it worked for you - or if you
have more issues.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: SP3 anoying
And you would be replying to whom, yourself?

bmaz wrote:
> You know, When you assume. I do have intentions of installing Sp3 I am
> referring to the ability for the auto update to say no not now and then
> leave me alone. I suppose your answer is no. I recently looked at my
> drive and saw all the updates that had been installed. Over 100. Will Sp3
> remove these since it replaces them? I changed my computer last month so
> reinstalled windows XP prof. I then downloaded all the updates auto. I
> would like to know why I have over 100 processes running in task manager.
> Does a home user really need all that? If i wanted to investigate what
> each one was and stop it from running do you know where I can find this
> out? Thank you for your input it was really helpfull.
>
>> I had to turn off updates because micosoft wants to install sp3 and a
>> bunch
>> of other modules I really don't think I need. How do I say no and then
>> not
>> be bothered anymore. This constant message keeps poping up saying I have
>> updates to install. I must have six different programs that want to auto
>> update. Then I get these search menu bars allways installing with out me
>> asking for them. Half of my internet bandwidth is being used to download
>> all this stuff that is slowing down my computer. I know about the
>> microsoft updates function in control pannel.
>> --
>> God Bless
>> Know he is comming
>> Brian

wildmike

Re: SP3 anoying
What is the problem with HP machines with AMD processors.
And what must be done to remedy.

wildmike wrote:
> What is the problem with HP machines with AMD processors.
> And what must be done to remedy.

- not all HP machines with AMD processors will be affected.
- the ones that are were imaged from the factory with a intel-based
installation of Windows XP prior to SP3's release.
- HP has a fix.

Prevent it by applying the patch:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com:80/ewfrf/w...tem=pv-60484-2

Already have the problem, follow the instructions:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01457284

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP