Microsoft Update Freezes

fulano5321

Microsoft Update Freezes
I have windows XP SP2

Microsoft update works to the searching for updates screen and it hangs
there for over a day, I don't think the automatic updates work either.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Microsoft Update Freezes
fulano5321 wrote:
> I have windows XP SP2
>
> Microsoft update works to the searching for updates screen and it
> hangs there for over a day, I don't think the automatic updates
> work either.

Fix your file/registry permissions...

Ignore the title and follow the sub-section under "Advanced Troubleshooting"
titled, "Method 1: Reset the registry and the file permissions"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377
*will take time
(** Ignore the last step - you should install SP3 - but not at this point in
the cleanup/repair.)

Reboot and ...

Search your registry for %fystem and replace the "f" with an "s". May be
three or four matches, may be none. You may even have to take ownership
(even after doing the above) of the keys in order to make the change.

Reboot and ...

Download/install this:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

After installing, do the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
"%ProgramFiles%\Windows Installer Clean Up\msizap.exe" g!
--> Click OK.
(The quotation marks and percentage signs and spacing should be exact.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:

Reboot.

CHKDSK
How to scan your disks for errors
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265
* will take time and a reboot

Defragment
How to Defragment your hard drives
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314848
* will take time

Ensure your hardware drivers are up to date (from the hardware
manufacturer's respective web pages.) Never get hardware drivers
for hardware that was not created/sold by Microsoft from Microsoft.
Installing the latest updates may have you rebooting several times,
which is fine - but after you are sure you are done - still...

Reboot.

Reboot.

and...

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer
and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a
CUSTOM scan...

Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time. Rebooting as needed.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones or
"Windows Live" ones for now. I would completely avoid the
Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do not see any urgent need to install
Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Seriously - do all that. This is like antibiotics - don't skip a single
step, don't quit because you think things will be okay now - go through
until the end, until you have done everything given in the order given. If
you have a problem with a step come ask and let someone here get you
through that step. If you don't understand how to do a step, come back and
ask here about that step and let someone walk you through it.

In any case - no matter what - when you are done doing whatever you decide
to do - please - come back here and let everyone know what you did and
how things turned out.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Microsoft Update Freezes
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

fulano5321 wrote:
> I have windows XP SP2
>
> Microsoft update works to the searching for updates screen and it hangs
> there for over a day, I don't think the automatic updates work either.

Hillhouse102

RE: Microsoft Update Freezes
Update installed its verification software, made one search and has hung at
the opening splash screen ever since. I have verified that the needed
services are running. I am running XP SP1 and want to download SP 2, then
SP3.

fulano5321 has more patience than I do; I quit after 10 minutes. Surely we
are not the only 2 people who have this problem. Would appreciate
suggestions.

"fulano5321" wrote:

> I have windows XP SP2
>
> Microsoft update works to the searching for updates screen and it hangs
> there for over a day, I don't think the automatic updates work either.

Re: Microsoft Update Freezes
You will not be able to installed SP2 or SP3 via Windows Update/Automatic
Updates.

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

NB: Computers running WinXP SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will cease to function, and Windows
Update website will not be available after 12 April 2010 until and unless
SP3 is installed.
www.banthecheck.com