Windows SPs 1,2, and 3

Rod

Windows SPs 1,2, and 3
I have a version of Win XP Home Ed. from 2001. I am getting an error when
installing SP2 that SNIFFPOL.DLL cannot be installed and that terminates the
installation. I am trying to install SP3 and is telling me that I need at
least SP1 to install it. Now I am looking for SP1 but I cannot find it. Every
link leads me to the SP3 download page. What can I do?
Kevin

Re: Windows SPs 1,2, and 3
See if this link helps re SP1a:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=0136e5f8-1684-4202-b2d0-c6a43430f12a>

There is no SP1 because MS violated the license agreement granted to it in
respect of javascript so it was forced to withdraw SP1 by the courts. MS is also
a serial pirate!!!

Rod wrote:

> I have a version of Win XP Home Ed. from 2001. I am getting an error when
> installing SP2 that SNIFFPOL.DLL cannot be installed and that terminates the
> installation. I am trying to install SP3 and is telling me that I need at
> least SP1 to install it. Now I am looking for SP1 but I cannot find it. Every
> link leads me to the SP3 download page. What can I do?

Re: Windows SPs 1,2, and 3
Backup your personal data, then do a format & clean install of Windows.
Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

www.banthecheck.com