KB 954430/have to keep reinstalling

Mrs C

KB 954430/have to keep reinstalling
I have Windows XP, and the update KB 954430, the shield is on my taskbar, I
click on it, then it says it's downloaded, and before I know it, the shield
is back on my taskbar with the same UPDATE to be downloaded. I have looked
in my updates downloaded and that have been installed on my computer, and
it's showing that it's installed. I would appreciate any help you could give
me on this. Thanks so much..))

Re: KB 954430/have to keep reinstalling
WinXP SP2 or SP3? Did you recenltly do a Repair Install or a Clean Install
of WinXP?

See the "How to obtain help" and "Known Issues" sections of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

Mrs C wrote:
> I have Windows XP, and the update KB 954430, the shield is on my taskbar,
> click on it, then it says it's downloaded, and before I know it, the
> shield
> is back on my taskbar with the same UPDATE to be downloaded. I have
> looked
> in my updates downloaded and that have been installed on my computer, and
> it's showing that it's installed. I would appreciate any help you could
> give me on this. Thanks so much..))

kzt

Re: KB 954430/have to keep reinstalling
NO...but this is driving me crazy reinstalling this update. I have a new
computer and have kept all updates current.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> WinXP SP2 or SP3? Did you recenltly do a Repair Install or a Clean Install
> of WinXP?
>
> See the "How to obtain help" and "Known Issues" sections of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Mrs C wrote:
> > I have Windows XP, and the update KB 954430, the shield is on my taskbar,
> > click on it, then it says it's downloaded, and before I know it, the
> > shield
> > is back on my taskbar with the same UPDATE to be downloaded. I have
> > looked
> > in my updates downloaded and that have been installed on my computer, and
> > it's showing that it's installed. I would appreciate any help you could
> > give me on this. Thanks so much..))

Re: KB 954430/have to keep reinstalling
You may have missed...

kzt wrote:
> NO...but this is driving me crazy reinstalling this update. I have a new
> computer and have kept all updates current.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> WinXP SP2 or SP3? Did you recenltly do a Repair Install or a Clean
>> Install
>> of WinXP?
>>
>> See the "How to obtain help" and "Known Issues" sections of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Mrs C wrote:
>>> I have Windows XP, and the update KB 954430, the shield is on my
>>> taskbar,
>>> click on it, then it says it's downloaded, and before I know it, the
>>> shield
>>> is back on my taskbar with the same UPDATE to be downloaded. I have
>>> looked
>>> in my updates downloaded and that have been installed on my computer,
>>> and
>>> it's showing that it's installed. I would appreciate any help you could
>>> give me on this. Thanks so much..))

Shenan Stanley

Mrs C wrote:
> I have Windows XP, and the update KB 954430, the shield is on my
> taskbar, I click on it, then it says it's downloaded, and before I
> know it, the shield is back on my taskbar with the same UPDATE to
> be downloaded. I have looked in my updates downloaded and that
> have been installed on my computer, and it's showing that it's
> installed. I would appreciate any help you could give me on this.
> Thanks so much..))

Although you were given the answer already, some people require a bit more
hand-holding to get to the actual answer than others. Sometimes it is
attention spans, sometimes it is just not understanding the direct answer
they were given or just seeing (or not) what they want to see.

Here it is in more detail.

Now is a great time to point you to one of the easiest ways to find
information on problems you may be having and solutions others have found:

Search using Google!
http://www.google.com/
(How-to: http://www.google.com/intl/en/help/basics.html )

Using a search engine, like Google, you might have come across the answers
that have been posted in these newsgroups many times over about this problem
or even been pointed to the knowledge base article.

In any case - here is what you would be looking for:

Viewing the Knowledge Base Article for the update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

Under "Known issues with this security update", you might read this:

"This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
has not been updated correctly. For more information about this issue, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

[941729] Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

Which naturally leads you here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/

Titled: "Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

With this simple resolution:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type
ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
and then press ENTER.
**Note** After you press ENTER, you may receive the following
error message. "Cannot find the file specified."
Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com
5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

kzt

Re: KB 954430/have to keep reinstalling
I tried your link again. After following dos instructions, it finally worked
for 24 hours. Now the Update Alert is again telling me to install this
update. In addition, an alert signalled that XML Parser (MSXML) is not
installed. Now another problem in determining which XML Parser to install!
This may all sound stupid to you, but I am not a computer expert. Please help
an ignornant computer user update her new computer or do I need to take it to
a computer repair shop? Thank you.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> You may have missed...
>
> >> See the "How to obtain help" and "Known Issues" sections of
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

> kzt wrote:
> > NO...but this is driving me crazy reinstalling this update. I have a new
> > computer and have kept all updates current.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> WinXP SP2 or SP3? Did you recenltly do a Repair Install or a Clean
> >> Install
> >> of WinXP?
> >>
> >> See the "How to obtain help" and "Known Issues" sections of
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

TaurArian

Re: KB 954430/have to keep reinstalling
Did you read:

"::: See the "How to obtain help" and "Known Issues" sections of
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

Especially:

a.. This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on
Microsoft Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is
corrupted or if it has not been updated correctly. For more information
about this issue, click the following article number to view the article in
the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
941729 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/ ) Security updates for
Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 may repeatedly appear in the
update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows Update

This leads you to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/

and then you see:

http://www.update.microsoft.com (http://www.update.microsoft.com)

kzt wrote:
:: I tried your link again. After following dos instructions, it
:: finally worked for 24 hours. Now the Update Alert is again telling
:: me to install this update. In addition, an alert signalled that XML
:: Parser (MSXML) is not installed. Now another problem in determining
:: which XML Parser to install! This may all sound stupid to you, but I
:: am not a computer expert. Please help an ignornant computer user
:: update her new computer or do I need to take it to a computer repair
:: shop? Thank you.
::
:: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
::
::: You may have missed...
:::
::: kzt wrote:
:::: NO...but this is driving me crazy reinstalling this update. I have
:::: a new computer and have kept all updates current.
::::
:::: "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
::::
::::: WinXP SP2 or SP3? Did you recenltly do a Repair Install or a
::::: Clean Install
::::: of WinXP?
:::::
::::: See the "How to obtain help" and "Known Issues" sections of
::::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
::::: --
::::: ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
::::: MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
:::::
:::::
:::::