PC BSOD During IE8 Update, Now Cannot Install

mothermachine

PC BSOD During IE8 Update, Now Cannot Install
My new PC crashed (BSOD) in the middle of a Windows Update (IE8) and now I
can't seem to run WU again to install it - it says "a newer version of IE is
on the system". It looks like the install was corrupted.

How can I fully remove this corrupted IE8 install and start the update again?

Thanks,
mothermachine

RE: PC BSOD During IE8 Update, Now Cannot Install
I should also mention that I've tried running the CMD to manually remove it,
but that didn't help. I still get the same error when trying to reinstall
(either manually or through WU).

"mothermachine" wrote:

> My new PC crashed (BSOD) in the middle of a Windows Update (IE8) and now I
> can't seem to run WU again to install it - it says "a newer version of IE is
> on the system". It looks like the install was corrupted.
>
> How can I fully remove this corrupted IE8 install and start the update again?
>
> Thanks,

Re: PC BSOD During IE8 Update, Now Cannot Install
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

By any chance did you attempt to resolve the problem by using System
Restore? <=JUST ASKING! DO NOT ATTEMPT USING SYSTEM RESTORE NOW!!!

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
www.banthecheck.com

mothermachine wrote:
> I should also mention that I've tried running the CMD to manually remove
> it,
> but that didn't help. I still get the same error when trying to reinstall
> (either manually or through WU).
>
> "mothermachine" wrote:
>> My new PC crashed (BSOD) in the middle of a Windows Update (IE8) and now
>> can't seem to run WU again to install it - it says "a newer version of IE
>> is on the system". It looks like the install was corrupted.
>>
>> How can I fully remove this corrupted IE8 install and start the update
>> again?

Elsa Cerutti

"mothermachine" wrote:

> My new PC crashed (BSOD) in the middle of a Windows Update (IE8) and now I
> can't seem to run WU again to install it - it says "a newer version of IE is
> on the system". It looks like the install was corrupted.
>
> How can I fully remove this corrupted IE8 install and start the update again?
>
> Thanks,

mothermachine

RE: PC BSOD During IE8 Update, Now Cannot Install
unfortunately none of the advice above worked. i've tried just about
everything.

is my only option to format and reinstall windows? or is there another way
to manually remove all traces of IE8 and that corrupted update?

thanks

"Elsa Cerutti" wrote:

> "mothermachine" wrote:
>
> > My new PC crashed (BSOD) in the middle of a Windows Update (IE8) and now I
> > can't seem to run WU again to install it - it says "a newer version of IE is
> > on the system". It looks like the install was corrupted.
> >
> > How can I fully remove this corrupted IE8 install and start the update again?
> >
> > Thanks,

Re: PC BSOD During IE8 Update, Now Cannot Install
Repost: