KB973879

Amy Manwaring

KB973879
I have a brand new HDX Premium Laptop that I have had 2 weeks now. 2nd day
out of the box it auto downloaded Windows Update KB973879 and I have had
nothing but problems. I called HP and they told me that there were corrupt
files and to do a system restore. I am still having tons of issues and paid
alot of $$ for this system to have these issues already.

Please help!!!!
MowGreen

Re: KB973879
Amy Manwaring wrote:

> I have a brand new HDX Premium Laptop that I have had 2 weeks now. 2nd day
> out of the box it auto downloaded Windows Update KB973879 and I have had
> nothing but problems. I called HP and they told me that there were corrupt
> files and to do a system restore. I am still having tons of issues and paid
> alot of $$ for this system to have these issues already.
>
> Please help!!!!

Amy,

Don't let them put you in the 'passing the buck" trap. -

HP: " It's Microsoft's fault. Contact them. "
MS: " Sorry. The system is under warranty from HP. Contact them. "

IF your system came with a warranty from HP, then they are *legally
required* to provide you Support for this issue.
If they recommend something that does not resolve the issue, then tell
them that you'll be returning the system if they do not provide you with
a satisfactory resolution.

What HP should have told you was to uninstall KB973879. There was an
issue with the first release of it, it was then pulled by MS, and then
it was rereleased.
The system may have pulled down the first release instead of the second
one, which was released on September the 1st.

You can obtain the *second* release of KB973879 from the links on this page:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973879

The update is intended to rectify an error message that occurs when
Vista Service Pack 2 is applied.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

banthecheck.com
"Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"

Re: KB973879
The original release of KB973879 (which would be the version you installed)
was pulled because of the very behavior you describe.

See:

Error message after you apply update 973879: "Stop 0x0000007e" or "Stop
0x00000050":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975070/

NB: Once you resolve the problem, Windows Update will offer/install the
revised version of KB973879 which should NOT cause such problems.

['Tis a shame that HP support didn't mention this.]
www.banthecheck.com

Amy Manwaring wrote:
> I have a brand new HDX Premium Laptop that I have had 2 weeks now. 2nd day
> out of the box it auto downloaded Windows Update KB973879 and I have had
> nothing but problems. I called HP and they told me that there were corrupt
> files and to do a system restore. I am still having tons of issues and
> paid
> alot of $$ for this system to have these issues already.
>
> Please help!!!!

ctkelley

Re: KB973879
I just contacted HP today, and they said to remove the update but mentioned
nothing about a newer version.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Amy Manwaring wrote:
>
> > I have a brand new HDX Premium Laptop that I have had 2 weeks now. 2nd day
> > out of the box it auto downloaded Windows Update KB973879 and I have had
> > nothing but problems. I called HP and they told me that there were corrupt
> > files and to do a system restore. I am still having tons of issues and paid
> > alot of $$ for this system to have these issues already.
> >
> > Please help!!!!

> Amy,
>
> Don't let them put you in the 'passing the buck" trap. -
>
> HP: " It's Microsoft's fault. Contact them. "
> MS: " Sorry. The system is under warranty from HP. Contact them. "
>
> IF your system came with a warranty from HP, then they are *legally
> required* to provide you Support for this issue.
> If they recommend something that does not resolve the issue, then tell
> them that you'll be returning the system if they do not provide you with
> a satisfactory resolution.
>
> What HP should have told you was to uninstall KB973879. There was an
> issue with the first release of it, it was then pulled by MS, and then
> it was rereleased.
> The system may have pulled down the first release instead of the second
> one, which was released on September the 1st.
>
> You can obtain the *second* release of KB973879 from the links on this page:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/973879
>
> The update is intended to rectify an error message that occurs when
> Vista Service Pack 2 is applied.
>
> MowGreen
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
>
> banthecheck.com
> "Security updates should *not* have *non-security content* prechecked"

MowGreen

Re: KB973879
If you'd care to pursue this further with HP, have them read this: