Re: windows defender question

[crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]

Are any other updates being installed? cf.
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41695

Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See
illustration here:
http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg

Are updates available when you run Windows Update manually? If so, can you
successfully install them manually?

Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
www.banthecheck.com

Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> I am running Vista and I have a question on the Definition updates for
> Defender. I am curious as to why it isn't updating them as they are
> released. I go to check for updates and it doesn't seem to read that there
> are new defnitions. but when I go to the defender website, the definitions
> are there. what gives?

Rage Skywolfe

Re: windows defender question
Are any other updates being installed?

yes I had no problem with that

Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See

it is set to automatic.

and how do I get to the update log?:S
--
Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy

Skywolfe

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> Are any other updates being installed? cf.
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41695
>
> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See
> illustration here:
> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg
>
> Are updates available when you run Windows Update manually? If so, can you
> successfully install them manually?
>
> Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
> include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> > I am running Vista and I have a question on the Definition updates for
> > Defender. I am curious as to why it isn't updating them as they are
> > released. I go to check for updates and it doesn't seem to read that there
> > are new defnitions. but when I go to the defender website, the definitions
> > are there. what gives?

Re: windows defender question
Sorry, I meant to include the following in my first reply:

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Can you update Defender successfully by clicking on the Update Now button
within the application?

Can you download the latest defs from the following link by saving the
download to your desktop and then right-clicking on the saved file &
selecting Run as Administrator? =>
http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx

Rage Skywolfe wrote:
>> Are any other updates being installed?

> yes I had no problem with that
>
>> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
>> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option?

> it is set to automatic.
>
> and how do I get to the update log?
>
>> [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
>>
>> Are any other updates being installed? cf.
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41695
>>
>> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
>> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See
>> illustration here:
>> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg
>>
>> Are updates available when you run Windows Update manually? If so, can
>> you
>> successfully install them manually?
>>
>> Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
>> include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
>>> I am running Vista and I have a question on the Definition updates for
>>> Defender. I am curious as to why it isn't updating them as they are
>>> released. I go to check for updates and it doesn't seem to read that
>>> there
>>> are new defnitions. but when I go to the defender website, the
>>> definitions
>>> are there. what gives?

Rage Skywolfe

Re: windows defender question
I can download and install them manually it just doesn't do it automaticaly.
--

"Rage Skywolfe" wrote:

> Are any other updates being installed?
>
> yes I had no problem with that
>
> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See
>
> it is set to automatic.
>
> and how do I get to the update log?:S
> --
> Four Generations Of Trust And Betrayal...One Legacy
>
> Skywolfe
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
> >
> > Are any other updates being installed? cf.
> > http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41695
> >
> > Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
> > choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See
> > illustration here:
> > http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg
> >
> > Are updates available when you run Windows Update manually? If so, can you
> > successfully install them manually?
> >
> > Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
> > include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> > www.banthecheck.com
> >

> > Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> > > I am running Vista and I have a question on the Definition updates for
> > > Defender. I am curious as to why it isn't updating them as they are
> > > released. I go to check for updates and it doesn't seem to read that there
> > > are new defnitions. but when I go to the defender website, the definitions
> > > are there. what gives?

Rage Skywolfe

Re: windows defender question
the check for updates within the application is what I have the problem with.
it checks for them, it just doesn't download them. I get the saying that no
new definition files are avaiable, so I don't know if that is meaning no new
files are avaiable for the defender in vista or what.
--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Sorry, I meant to include the following in my first reply:
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> Can you update Defender successfully by clicking on the Update Now button
> within the application?
>
> Can you download the latest defs from the following link by saving the
> download to your desktop and then right-clicking on the saved file &
> selecting Run as Administrator? =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> >> Are any other updates being installed?

> > yes I had no problem with that
> >
> >> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
> >> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option?

> > it is set to automatic.
> >
> > and how do I get to the update log?
> >
> >> [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
> >>
> >> Are any other updates being installed? cf.
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41695
> >>
> >> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
> >> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See
> >> illustration here:
> >> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg
> >>
> >> Are updates available when you run Windows Update manually? If so, can
> >> you
> >> successfully install them manually?
> >>
> >> Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
> >> include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Rage Skywolfe

Re: windows defender question
I forgot to add, when defender is opened it says that it is fine. it just
won't install new defs.
--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Sorry, I meant to include the following in my first reply:
>
> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> Can you update Defender successfully by clicking on the Update Now button
> within the application?
>
> Can you download the latest defs from the following link by saving the
> download to your desktop and then right-clicking on the saved file &
> selecting Run as Administrator? =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> >> Are any other updates being installed?

> > yes I had no problem with that
> >
> >> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
> >> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option?

> > it is set to automatic.
> >
> > and how do I get to the update log?
> >
> >> [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup]
> >>
> >> Are any other updates being installed? cf.
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=41695
> >>
> >> Is Automatic Updates set to Automatic, Download updates but let me
> >> choose..., or Check for updates but let me choose... option? See
> >> illustration here:
> >> http://img.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...u-settings.jpg
> >>
> >> Are updates available when you run Windows Update manually? If so, can
> >> you
> >> successfully install them manually?
> >>
> >> Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
> >> include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> www.banthecheck.com

Re: windows defender question
What defs version is currently installed?

So "I can download and install them manually" means you can download/install
defs via http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx,
right?

What about?...

Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> I forgot to add, when defender is opened it says that it is fine. it just
> won't install new defs.
>
>> Sorry, I meant to include the following in my first reply:
>>
>> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>>
>> Can you update Defender successfully by clicking on the Update Now button
>> within the application?
>>
>> Can you download the latest defs from the following link by saving the
>> download to your desktop and then right-clicking on the saved file &
>> selecting Run as Administrator? =>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx

>>> yes I had no problem with that

>>> it is set to automatic.
>>>
>>> and how do I get to the update log?

Rage Skywolfe

Re: windows defender question
1.63.1484.0 is the current version installed which I installed earlier.
manualy.

So "I can download and install them manually" means you can download/install
defs via http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx,
right?

Yes.

Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?

no.
--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What defs version is currently installed?
>
> So "I can download and install them manually" means you can download/install
> defs via http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx,
> right?
>
> What about?...
>
> Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
> include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> > I forgot to add, when defender is opened it says that it is fine. it just
> > won't install new defs.
> >
> >> Sorry, I meant to include the following in my first reply:
> >>
> >> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
> >>
> >> Can you update Defender successfully by clicking on the Update Now button
> >> within the application?
> >>
> >> Can you download the latest defs from the following link by saving the
> >> download to your desktop and then right-clicking on the saved file &
> >> selecting Run as Administrator? =>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx

Rage Skywolfe

Re: windows defender question
I take that back but it is earlier in the logfile. when they installed the
updates there were a lot of them that failed. and this is what part of that
log looks like

2009-08-10 03:33:56:069 1068 45c DnldMgr * Update is not allowed to
download due to regulation.
2009-08-10 03:33:56:069 1068 45c DnldMgr Regulation:
{9482F4B4-E343-43B6-B170-9A65BC822C77} - Update
0B420363-69B8-4C7F-B24F-6509A4694EF1 is "Priority" regulated and can NOT
download. Sequence 9479 vs AcceptRate 4141.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What defs version is currently installed?
>
> So "I can download and install them manually" means you can download/install
> defs via http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx,
> right?
>
> What about?...
>
> Do the last 50 or so lines at the *bottom* of your Windows Update log
> include the phrase "Update is not allowed to download due to regulation"?
>

> Rage Skywolfe wrote:
> > I forgot to add, when defender is opened it says that it is fine. it just
> > won't install new defs.
> >
> >> Sorry, I meant to include the following in my first reply:
> >>
> >> How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
> >>
> >> Can you update Defender successfully by clicking on the Update Now button
> >> within the application?
> >>
> >> Can you download the latest defs from the following link by saving the
> >> download to your desktop and then right-clicking on the saved file &
> >> selecting Run as Administrator? =>
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/security/po...s/HowToWD.aspx

Re: windows defender question
But no "Regulation" entries after 10 August?

PS: I think you missed one: