Windows update broke my Wireless!

Blair

Windows update broke my Wireless!
I noticed that Microsoft pushed 9 updates to my laptop last night and then
rebooted my laptop. Now my Wireless doesn't work!!!!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice....

Blair
MowGreen

Re: Windows update broke my Wireless!
Blair wrote:

> I noticed that Microsoft pushed 9 updates to my laptop last night and then
> rebooted my laptop. Now my Wireless doesn't work!!!!
>
> Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice....
>
> Blair

So, you have definitely attributed this to the updates from "last night"
and can demonstrate how this broke "my Wireless" ?
Then please contact MS as there is *no-charge* for resolving issues
*caused* by Security updates.

From the Security Bulletin that contains most of these updates:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-037.mspx

" Support
• Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
Security Support( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21131 )
or 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
associated with security updates. For more information about available
support options, see Microsoft Help and Support.
• International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft
subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with
security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft
for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155 "

HTH,

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Blair

Re: Windows update broke my Wireless!
Let's put it this way....everything was working fine before the updates....I
have another PC running Vista with wireless and it's fine (I'll have to check
if the updates were applied to that machine). My Laptop runs XP...when i woke
up this morning the laptop had been rebooted by Windowsupdate and my
wireless was busted...I checked the eventlog and saw that the only changes
were the 9 updates from Microsoft at 3am...I've haven't made any other
changes to my laptop recently so I'm putting 2 and 2 together and blaming it
on the Microsoft update...

makes sense to me...

btw....I've been working in LANs/WANs and Windows OS's for the past 20 years
so I'm not a "newbie"...

:-)

Blair

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Blair wrote:
>
> > I noticed that Microsoft pushed 9 updates to my laptop last night and then
> > rebooted my laptop. Now my Wireless doesn't work!!!!
> >
> > Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice....
> >
> > Blair

> So, you have definitely attributed this to the updates from "last night"
> and can demonstrate how this broke "my Wireless" ?
> Then please contact MS as there is *no-charge* for resolving issues
> *caused* by Security updates.
>
> From the Security Bulletin that contains most of these updates:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-037.mspx
>

> " Support
> • Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
> Security Support( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21131 )
> or 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
> associated with security updates. For more information about available
> support options, see Microsoft Help and Support.
> • International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft
> subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with
> security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft
> for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155 "
>
> HTH,
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

MowGreen

Re: Windows update broke my Wireless!
I'm not underestimating your expertise with LANs/WANs
and various editions of Windows, Blair. This last round of updates has
been one of the most complex that I've seen outside of XP SP2.
They are meant to address a Critical vuln in ATL and are the latest
round of what appears to be a series of updates aimed at mitigating that
vuln.

All I can suggest is releasing/renewing the LAN connection on the
affected system, uninstalling them in the reverse order they are listed
in ARP in the hope of pin pointing which one is causing the issue,
rebooting in between each operation, or, even better so that MS is aware
of any issues associated with the updates, contacting CSS for
*no-charge* support.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Blair wrote:

> Let's put it this way....everything was working fine before the updates....I
> have another PC running Vista with wireless and it's fine (I'll have to check
> if the updates were applied to that machine). My Laptop runs XP...when i woke
> up this morning the laptop had been rebooted by Windowsupdate and my
> wireless was busted...I checked the eventlog and saw that the only changes
> were the 9 updates from Microsoft at 3am...I've haven't made any other
> changes to my laptop recently so I'm putting 2 and 2 together and blaming it
> on the Microsoft update...
>
> makes sense to me...
>
> btw....I've been working in LANs/WANs and Windows OS's for the past 20 years
> so I'm not a "newbie"...
>
> :-)
>
> Blair
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>

>>Blair wrote:
>>

>>>I noticed that Microsoft pushed 9 updates to my laptop last night and then
>>>rebooted my laptop. Now my Wireless doesn't work!!!!
>>>
>>>Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice....
>>>
>>>Blair

>>So, you have definitely attributed this to the updates from "last night"
>>and can demonstrate how this broke "my Wireless" ?
>>Then please contact MS as there is *no-charge* for resolving issues
>>*caused* by Security updates.
>>
>> From the Security Bulletin that contains most of these updates:
>>
>>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-037.mspx
>>

>>" Support
>>• Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
>>Security Support( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21131 )
>>or 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
>>associated with security updates. For more information about available
>>support options, see Microsoft Help and Support.
>>• International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft
>>subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with
>>security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft
>>for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.
>>http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21155 "
>>
>>HTH,
>>
>>MowGreen
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============

Blair

Re: Windows update broke my Wireless!
will do!...it's just a bummer, I'm going on the road tomorrow and will need
the wireless working...now I have to spend tonight putzing with it...

:-(

Blair

"MowGreen" wrote:

> [...]
> >>Then please contact MS as there is *no-charge* for resolving issues
> >>*caused* by Security updates.
> >>
> >> From the Security Bulletin that contains most of these updates:
> >>
> >>http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS09-037.mspx
> >>

> >>" Support
> >>• Customers in the U.S. and Canada can receive technical support from
> >>Security Support( http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=21131 )
> >>or 1-866-PCSAFETY. There is no charge for support calls that are
> >>associated with security updates. For more information about available
> >>support options, see Microsoft Help and Support.
> >>• International customers can receive support from their local Microsoft
> >>subsidiaries. There is no charge for support that is associated with
> >>security updates. For more information about how to contact Microsoft
> >>for support issues, visit the International Support Web site.

I understand. It almost never fails that when one is about to hit the
road issues pop up with computers. Do they know we're about to leave and
are taunting us ? <g>

Let's hope it's just a temporary DHCP issue that can be resolved easily
by renewing/reconnecting or that you can determine which update caused it.
By chance, is MyWiFi Zone being used to limit access to the wireless
network ? If yes, then suggest you Exit it and see if that allows the XP
system to connect successfully.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Blair wrote:

> will do!...it's just a bummer, I'm going on the road tomorrow and will need
> the wireless working...now I have to spend tonight putzing with it...
>
> :-(
>
> Blair
>

> "MowGreen" wrote:
>

>>I'm not underestimating your expertise with LANs/WANs
>>and various editions of Windows, Blair. This last round of updates has
>>been one of the most complex that I've seen outside of XP SP2.
>>They are meant to address a Critical vuln in ATL and are the latest
>>round of what appears to be a series of updates aimed at mitigating that
>>vuln.
>>
>>All I can suggest is releasing/renewing the LAN connection on the
>>affected system, uninstalling them in the reverse order they are listed
>>in ARP in the hope of pin pointing which one is causing the issue,
>>rebooting in between each operation, or, even better so that MS is aware
>>of any issues associated with the updates, contacting CSS for
>>*no-charge* support.
>>

>>MowGreen
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Blair wrote:
>>

>>>Let's put it this way....everything was working fine before the updates....I
>>>have another PC running Vista with wireless and it's fine (I'll have to check
>>>if the updates were applied to that machine). My Laptop runs XP...when i woke
>>>up this morning the laptop had been rebooted by Windowsupdate and my
>>>wireless was busted...I checked the eventlog and saw that the only changes
>>>were the 9 updates from Microsoft at 3am...I've haven't made any other
>>>changes to my laptop recently so I'm putting 2 and 2 together and blaming it
>>>on the Microsoft update...
>>>
>>>makes sense to me...
>>>
>>>btw....I've been working in LANs/WANs and Windows OS's for the past 20 years
>>>so I'm not a "newbie"...
>>>
>>>:-)
>>>
>>>Blair

Blair

Re: Windows update broke my Wireless!
It turns out my problem is worse that I thought...my local LAN connection on
the laptop is busted too! I moved over the USB wireless from my VISTA PC to
my XP laptop and it works fine....somehow my internal wireless and LAN
connection got SNAFued by the latest microsoft update...

Blair

"MowGreen" wrote:

> I understand. It almost never fails that when one is about to hit the
> road issues pop up with computers. Do they know we're about to leave and
> are taunting us ? <g>
>
> Let's hope it's just a temporary DHCP issue that can be resolved easily
> by renewing/reconnecting or that you can determine which update caused it.
> By chance, is MyWiFi Zone being used to limit access to the wireless
> network ? If yes, then suggest you Exit it and see if that allows the XP
> system to connect successfully.
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Blair wrote:
>
> > will do!...it's just a bummer, I'm going on the road tomorrow and will need
> > the wireless working...now I have to spend tonight putzing with it...
> >
> > :-(
> >
> > Blair
> >

> > "MowGreen" wrote:
> >

> >>I'm not underestimating your expertise with LANs/WANs
> >>and various editions of Windows, Blair. This last round of updates has
> >>been one of the most complex that I've seen outside of XP SP2.
> >>They are meant to address a Critical vuln in ATL and are the latest
> >>round of what appears to be a series of updates aimed at mitigating that
> >>vuln.
> >>
> >>All I can suggest is releasing/renewing the LAN connection on the
> >>affected system, uninstalling them in the reverse order they are listed
> >>in ARP in the hope of pin pointing which one is causing the issue,
> >>rebooting in between each operation, or, even better so that MS is aware
> >>of any issues associated with the updates, contacting CSS for
> >>*no-charge* support.
> >>

> >>MowGreen
> >>===============
> >> *-343-* FDNY
> >>Never Forgotten
> >>===============

Shenan Stanley

Blair wrote:
> It turns out my problem is worse that I thought...my local LAN
> connection on the laptop is busted too! I moved over the USB
> wireless from my VISTA PC to my XP laptop and it works
> fine....somehow my internal wireless and LAN connection got SNAFued
> by the latest microsoft update.

So, uninstall the updates. Turn off Automatic Updates so you can
troubleshoot.

Update your network (wired and wireless) hardware device drivers with the
latest from the respective hardware manufacturer's support web pages.

Assuming that uninstalling fixes your problem (should if you are correct) -
then you can visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and perform a custom
scan and install one update at a time, rebooting after each install until
you find the one that causes the issue and then report that back here (to
help prevent or help troubleshoot other from getting/in fixing the same
issue.)

Assuming that does not fix your issue (uninstalling the updates from Control
Panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> Show Updates checkbox "checked") - then
after you do that - use your system restore to restore to a period in time
before your system even got the updates. Then you have cleaned the updates
off *and* returned to a date before the problem occurred. It still
essentially could prove your theory (that the updates caused the problem)
and the rest of the steps are the same. You can visit
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and perform a custom scan and install
one update at a time, rebooting after each install until you find the one
that causes the issue and then report that back here (to help prevent or
help troubleshoot other from getting/in fixing the same issue.)

If you call/contact Microsoft - they may suggest something similar
(although, to be honest, my last phone-support time with Microsoft was a
bust. I ended up solving the problem on my own about two hours after I got
off the phone with MS where they had told me to format. Different story for
another time. *grin*)

However - that is how I would think one should/would go about methodically
troubleshooting this. Eliminate what *you* think the problem is, reverting
back to a state your computer was in before it all occurred. If you are
correct - that will resolve the issue. Then figure out the exact specific
update that caused the problem and then help others out by reporting your
finding (mention the KB article that causes the dead network by number.)

Come back - let us know how it goes. I would guess all that - if you had to
do it all - about 1-2 hours, tops.

However - more time if you uninstall and system restore and nothing is
resolved - as your theory is shot. At that point - I would suggest the
removal of the network drivers/software and installing the latest as the
first thing to try with the lack of a new theory. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Blair

Re: Windows update broke my Wireless!
Hi Shenan,

I uninstalled all the updates and reinstalled the network drivers to no
avail..I also reinstalled SP3..I'm not too sure I have a system restore point
to restore from...

thanx..

Blair