Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803

Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com

Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803
I've tried to install update KB960803, and it fails. The error message comes
back telling me that a file, something in the "CBS Manifest" is corrupt.
Following the path it tells me, to fix it I need to put in the Vista disk,
run setup, choose "upgrade from the web," but when I do that it tells me that
"upgrade has been disabled..."

So, any ideas about how to fix this so I can stop automatically getting this
update that failed, and return to receiving updates as they come in?

Thanks,
Erik Hoffman
erikthor@pogox.com
Ǝиçεl

RE: Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803
0x80070490 - ERROR_NOT_FOUND

Need to perform an in-place upgrade

Erik, are you following the steps from this heading " Windows Vista and
Windows Server 2008 "?

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>

or

reinstall of the OS.

hope this is enough to get you on the right road for nºw.
-=-

"Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com" wrote:

> I've tried to install update KB960803, and it fails. The error message comes
> back telling me that a file, something in the "CBS Manifest" is corrupt.
> Following the path it tells me, to fix it I need to put in the Vista disk,
> run setup, choose "upgrade from the web," but when I do that it tells me that
> "upgrade has been disabled..."
>
> So, any ideas about how to fix this so I can stop automatically getting this
> update that failed, and return to receiving updates as they come in?
>
> Thanks,
> Erik Hoffman
> erikthor@pogox.com

TaurArian

Re: Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803
Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com wrote:
:: I've tried to install update KB960803, and it fails. The error
:: message comes back telling me that a file, something in the "CBS
:: Manifest" is corrupt. Following the path it tells me, to fix it I
:: need to put in the Vista disk, run setup, choose "upgrade from the
:: web," but when I do that it tells me that "upgrade has been
:: disabled..."
::
:: So, any ideas about how to fix this so I can stop automatically
:: getting this update that failed, and return to receiving updates as
:: they come in?
::
:: Thanks,
:: Erik Hoffman
:: erikthor@pogox.com

Ignore the title : Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows
Vista may stop responding
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833
Explains SFC / Scannow"

A repair install is the usual solution of SFC /Scannow doesn't work.

You receive a "0x80070490" error code when you use Windows Update or
Microsoft Update Web sites to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2010 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Re: Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803
Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?
>
> Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com wrote:
> > I've tried to install update KB960803, and it fails. The error message
> > comes back telling me that a file, something in the "CBS Manifest" is
> > corrupt. Following the path it tells me, to fix it I need to put in the
> > Vista disk, run setup, choose "upgrade from the web," but when I do that
> > it
> > tells me that "upgrade has been disabled..."
> >
> > So, any ideas about how to fix this so I can stop automatically getting
> > this
> > update that failed, and return to receiving updates as they come in?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Erik Hoffman
> > erikthor@pogox.com

Looking at the update history, I can find that Service Pack 1 installed, but
not Service Pack 2. So, if Service Pack 2 would have installed itself and
called itsefl "Service Pack 2," then I haven't installed it..

Replying to Ǝиçεl, above,
Yes, I I was following the instructions from Windows Help. When I got to
the "Upgrade" or some kind of "total install," it would not permit me to do
the upgrade. Upgrade was disabled. Since I don't want to both have to save
all my data and then reinstall all my programs, I just want to fix this
little problem, I didn't do the complete reinstal.

Replying to TaurArian,
I've now done a "Scannow." It found a couple things it couldn't fix. So
far I've not figured out how to view the CBS log file, when trying, it states
"access denied." Later I'll shut down and open as administrator, and see if
I can review the logs, and report which ones are unfixable.

Still, any other help ideas are appreciated!

Erik Hoffman
MowGreen

Re: Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803
> Looking at the update history, I can find that Service Pack 1 installed, but
> not Service Pack 2. So, if Service Pack 2 would have installed itself and
> called itsefl "Service Pack 2," then I haven't installed it..
>

> Replying to Ǝиçεl, above,
> Yes, I I was following the instructions from Windows Help. When I got to
> the "Upgrade" or some kind of "total install," it would not permit me to do
> the upgrade. Upgrade was disabled. Since I don't want to both have to save
> all my data and then reinstall all my programs, I just want to fix this
> little problem, I didn't do the complete reinstal.
>
> Replying to TaurArian,
> I've now done a "Scannow." It found a couple things it couldn't fix. So
> far I've not figured out how to view the CBS log file, when trying, it states
> "access denied." Later I'll shut down and open as administrator, and see if
> I can review the logs, and report which ones are unfixable.
>
> Still, any other help ideas are appreciated!
>
> Erik Hoffman

You can view the CBS.log by copying it to the Desktop. But, you *can*
see what sfc /scannow could not fix by reading the instructions in the
KB article that Taurarian was kind enough to link you to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

" To determine which files could not be repaired by the System File
Checker tool, follow these steps:

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
findstr /C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file"
%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt
Note The Sfcdetails.txt file contains details from every time
that the System File Checker tool has been run on the computer. The file
includes information about files that were not repaired by the System
File Checker tool. Verify the date and time entries to determine the
problem files that were found the last time that you ran the System File
Checker tool.
3. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:
edit sfcdetails.txt "

The KB article also gives instructions on how to replace missing system
files.

Or, you can run the System Update Readiness Tool [CheckSUR]:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

" What does the System Update Readiness Tool do?
The System Update Readiness Tool verifies the integrity of the following
resources:

* Files that are located under the following directories:
o %SYSTEMROOT%\Servicing\Packages
o %SYSTEMROOT%\WinSxS\Manifests
* Registry data that is located under the following registry subkeys:
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Components
o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Schema
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Component
Based Servicing
<snip>
Logging
The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any
issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the
following location:

* %SYSTEMROOT%\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log "

Mr. 7 [akaMowGreen]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com

Re: Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803

And now, I've located the CBS Log file (txt). When I tried to look at it,
Vista said "access denied." I'd change its accessibility by going into
"properties," and still, access denied. So, I made a copy of the file. I
could look at that one. So:

Hmm... If I understand things correctly, the earliest action in the CBS Log
fire was from 6/4/2009. Looking back to when KB960803 first tried to install
itself, well, that was early April. Thinking that whatever corrupted the CBS
Log file, along with whatever else it might have corrupted must have happened
prior to that first time KB960803 tried to install itself, well: there seems
to be no record.

At any rate, I did the following, in hopes things would patch up: I
exchanged the original CBS Log file for the copy I made -- the one I could
access -- and tried installing the "important updates." One did install, a
new one from today, the "System Update Readiness Took (KB947821)." KB960803
tried again and failed again. So, I'm still looking for help.

Thanks,
Erik Hoffman

"Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com" wrote:

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Are you running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2?
> >
> > Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com wrote:
> > > I've tried to install update KB960803, and it fails. The error message
> > > comes back telling me that a file, something in the "CBS Manifest" is
> > > corrupt. Following the path it tells me, to fix it I need to put in the
> > > Vista disk, run setup, choose "upgrade from the web," but when I do that
> > > it
> > > tells me that "upgrade has been disabled..."
> > >
> > > So, any ideas about how to fix this so I can stop automatically getting
> > > this
> > > update that failed, and return to receiving updates as they come in?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Erik Hoffman
> > > erikthor@pogox.com

> Looking at the update history, I can find that Service Pack 1 installed, but
> not Service Pack 2. So, if Service Pack 2 would have installed itself and
> called itsefl "Service Pack 2," then I haven't installed it..
>

> Replying to Ǝиçεl, above,
> Yes, I I was following the instructions from Windows Help. When I got to
> the "Upgrade" or some kind of "total install," it would not permit me to do
> the upgrade. Upgrade was disabled. Since I don't want to both have to save
> all my data and then reinstall all my programs, I just want to fix this
> little problem, I didn't do the complete reinstal.
>
> Replying to TaurArian,
> I've now done a "Scannow." It found a couple things it couldn't fix. So
> far I've not figured out how to view the CBS log file, when trying, it states
> "access denied." Later I'll shut down and open as administrator, and see if
> I can review the logs, and report which ones are unfixable.
>
> Still, any other help ideas are appreciated!
>
> Erik Hoffman

Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com

Re: Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803

Ok, Now that I've fully read the below:

I ran "scannow." It didn't fix the problem. When I try to run "findst" the
command line returns a "command not recognized." I've tried it with the
following fields "/C:"[SR] Cannot repair member file" >
%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >sfcdetails.txt" and just by itself. I seem to
have lost the "findst" command.

Then I seemed to downloaded the System Update Readiness Tool, but I could
not find: 1) a place to run the tool, or 2) evidence that it had run.

So, I'm still confused and lost, and still appreciate all the help you've
been giving.

Ciao,
~Erik Hoffman

"MowGreen" wrote:

> [...]

> Or, you can run the System Update Readiness Tool [CheckSUR]:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821
>
> " What does the System Update Readiness Tool do?
> The System Update Readiness Tool verifies the integrity of the following
> resources:
>
> * Files that are located under the following directories:
> o %SYSTEMROOT%\Servicing\Packages
> o %SYSTEMROOT%\WinSxS\Manifests
> * Registry data that is located under the following registry subkeys:
> o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Components
> o HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Schema
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Component
> Based Servicing
> <snip>
> Logging
> The System Update Readiness Tool creates a log file that captures any
> issues that the tool found or fixed. The log file is located at the

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Update Error 80070490 & Update KB960803
Erik Hoffman - erikthor@pobox.com wrote:

> Ok, Now that I've fully read the below:
>
> I ran "scannow." It didn't fix the problem. When I try to run "findst" the

Try "findstr".

Harry.