Windows Update Slow

Clayton

Windows Update Slow
For awhile now on many computers I run Windows Update on is very very very
slow

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows Update Slow
Clayton wrote:
> For awhile now on many computers I run Windows Update on is very
> very very slow

Yep. Here's what we have: Not enough information.

Here's some suggestions for your response:

* Operating system (flavor and service pack level, more detail better.)
Start button --> RUN (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R
on your keyboard) --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

* What *you* mean by 'slow'. Be specific. Are you not getting updates when
you expect them? Is the download speed when you are getting the updates
just bad/slower than you remember? When the updates install, do you think
they are taking too long? Are updates repeating themselves? Do you have
the KB######'s of specific updates to better inform us of what you are
seeing?

* What changed (new hardware? new software? repair installation? clean
installation? new internet connection? power outage?) between it working
fine and now?

* What have you done to attempt to remedy the situation?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

TaurArian

RE: Windows Update Slow
Perhaps the updates are regulated.
guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.

"Clayton" wrote:

> For awhile now on many computers I run Windows Update on is very very very
> slow

Ponzekap2

RE: Windows Update Slow
This occurs for me as well. In our situation, the web page can take 4-5
minutes to load the start page. The updates themselves download very
quickly, but navigation on the page is extremely slow, sometimes with the
outer frames working, but the inner frames reporting page can not be
displayed.

I have changed the route my company uses to microsoft by switching my BGP
connection, same result.

"TaurArian" wrote:

> Perhaps the updates are regulated.
> --
> Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.
>

> "Clayton" wrote:
>
> > For awhile now on many computers I run Windows Update on is very very very
> > slow

TzBnd

RE: Windows Update Slow
It's the same in our case, yesterday at a customer, today at an other
customer. It needs up to 4 hours to update 6 workstations (in "parallel
mode"), the downloads themselves are quickly, but the navigation......

"Ponzekap2" wrote:

> This occurs for me as well. In our situation, the web page can take 4-5
> minutes to load the start page. The updates themselves download very
> quickly, but navigation on the page is extremely slow, sometimes with the
> outer frames working, but the inner frames reporting page can not be
> displayed.
>
> I have changed the route my company uses to microsoft by switching my BGP
> connection, same result.
>
> "TaurArian" wrote:
>
> > Perhaps the updates are regulated.
> > --
> > Disclaimer: The information has been posted "as is" with no warranties or
> > guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.
> >

> > "Clayton" wrote:
> >
> > > For awhile now on many computers I run Windows Update on is very very very
> > > slow

techcafe

Re: Windows Update Slow
On Jun 30, 4:38*am, "Clayton" <claytonbNOS...@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> For awhile now on many computers I run Windows Update on is very very very
> slow

same thing is happening here...Windows Update/Microsoft Update (via
the browser) takes FOREVER to load the update page.

something is definitely wrong with the windows update site

Re: Windows Update Slow
You'll find that Microsoft Update is much slower than Windows Update.

On Jul 1, 3:27*pm, Ponzekap2 <Ponzek...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> This occurs for me as well. *In our situation, the web page can take 4-5
> minutes to load the start page. *The updates themselves download very
> quickly, but navigation on the page is extremely slow, sometimes with the
> outer frames working, but the inner frames reporting page can not be
> displayed.

exact same symptoms/situation here. manual (web-based) updates, via
either Windows or Microsoft Update, are extremely SLOW. almost as if
the update servers are too busy to process incoming connections...
denial of service attack maybe?

Re: Windows Update Slow
techcafe wrote:
>> This occurs for me as well. In our situation, the web page can take 4-5
>> minutes to load the start page. The updates themselves download very
>> quickly, but navigation on the page is extremely slow, sometimes with the
>> outer frames working, but the inner frames reporting page can not be
>> displayed.

> exact same symptoms/situation here. manual (web-based) updates, via
> either Windows or Microsoft Update, are extremely SLOW. almost as if
> the update servers are too busy to process incoming connections...
> denial of service attack maybe?

Millions of Vista computers attempting to download/install SP2 is a more
likely explanation.

techcafe

Re: Windows Update Slow
On Jul 4, 2:49*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> techcafe wrote:
> >> This occurs for me as well. In our situation, the web page can take 4-5
> >> minutes to load the start page. The updates themselves download very
> >> quickly, but navigation on the page is extremely slow, sometimes with the
> >> outer frames working, but the inner frames reporting page can not be
> >> displayed.

> > exact same symptoms/situation here. *manual (web-based) updates, via
> > either Windows or Microsoft Update, are extremely SLOW. *almost as if
> > the update servers are too busy to process incoming connections...
> > denial of service attack maybe?

> Millions of Vista computers attempting to download/install SP2 is a more
> likely explanation.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

ahh, perhaps you're right.
however, i'd still like to hear an official explanation from microsoft.