Re: windows update error 80070424

tso617

Re: windows update error 80070424
Interesting - but what about 640bit Vista Ultimate installations please?

Regards,

Will

"TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Click Start, select run, type: regsvr32 wuaueng.dll
>
> if that doesn't do the trick:-
>
> Verify that BITS is correctly configured and started:
>
> 1. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
> 2. Double-click Background Intelligent Transfer Service.
> 3. In the Startup type box, click Manual, and then click Apply.
> 4. Click the Log On tab, and then verify that the service is enabled in every hardware
> profile that is listed. If the service is disabled in one or more hardware profiles, click
> the hardware profile, click Enable, and then click Apply.
> 5. Click the General tab, and then click Start.
>
> If that's all okay, then perhaps:-
>
> 1. Click Start.
> 2. Choose Run.
> 3. In the Run box, type (pressing okay after the command) :-
> Regsvr32 QMGR.DLL
>
> also see
> You cannot turn on the Automatic Updates feature on a Windows XP Service Pack 2-based
> computer
> http://support.microsoft.com:80/kb/916261
> The Automatic Updates feature is turned off in the Security Center. Additionally, you
> cannot turn on the Automatic Updates feature.
> When you try to install updates from the Microsoft Windows Update Web site, you may
> receive an error message that resembles the following:
> 0x80070424
>

> --
> ====================================
> TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
> ====================================
> How to make a good post: http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> Backup and data recovery: http://www.acronis.com.sg/
> Enhancing file system performance: http://www.diskeeper.com/defrag.asp
> Defending your machine: http://defendingyourmachine2.blogspot.com/
>

> "Pete" <Pete@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | hey everybody. I got a serious problem I can't activate my windows update and
> | as soon as I'm trying to update manual I'm getting this error 80070424.
> |
> | nowhere is mentioned what this error code means and how to solve it. So if
> | anyone has a solution, please give a comment
> |
> | - thx, Pete

Robert Aldwinckle

"tso617" <tso617@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:FA31D5D1-DD27-497C-A5DC-9C72012CC146@microsoft.com...
> Interesting - but what about 640bit Vista Ultimate installations please?

Are you Pete? ; }

>> | nowhere is mentioned what this error code means and how to solve it.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c =0x424
1060
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

The specified service does not exist as an installed service.
</cmd_output>

Rather than trying to guess exactly which service is "specified"
why not try some diagnosis? You can find tips for doing so
in some of my previous posts on this issue and others.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---