IE8 problems

Fel4Two

IE8 problems
I installed IE8 - didn't like it and uninstalled it. Now windows update
keeps trying to reinstall. I have to constantly click on the icon, custom
install and uncheck the IE8 box so it won't install. I looked at the update
history on the Update site. It thinks IE8 was successfully installed. So I
really shouldn't be getting it offered anymore. How do I make it stop!!
It's truly annoying and MS knowledge base only has solutions for those
installations that failed or wants to show you how to successfully install.
I just want to stop being annoyed about installing it and I don't want to
install it. Help!!
t-4-2

Re: IE8 problems

1. To stop updates installed to your machine AUTOMATICALLY :
Open Windows Update > left column, click Change Settings > select " Check
for updates but let me choose whether to download and install " > OK
2. Updates offered to you but you don't want them :
Right click on the update you don't want > click HIDE
You'll never see it again.
NOTE : Other than " optional updates ", #2 won't work unless you enable #1
( manual installing updates ).
t-4-2

"Fel4Two" <Fel4Two@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I installed IE8 - didn't like it and uninstalled it. Now windows update
> keeps trying to reinstall. I have to constantly click on the icon, custom
> install and uncheck the IE8 box so it won't install. I looked at the
> update
> history on the Update site. It thinks IE8 was successfully installed. So
> really shouldn't be getting it offered anymore. How do I make it stop!!
> It's truly annoying and MS knowledge base only has solutions for those
> installations that failed or wants to show you how to successfully
> install.
> I just want to stop being annoyed about installing it and I don't want to
> install it. Help!!

Fel4Two

Re: IE8 problems
Nice try but my change settings only shows me language and whether to turn
off MS Updates completely. I already have it so it should download but allow
me to decide whether or not to install. I don't get anything if I
right-click on the offered update in custom install.
But that's exactly what I need a way to either get rid of it or to hide it.

"t-4-2" wrote:

> 1. To stop updates installed to your machine AUTOMATICALLY :
> Open Windows Update > left column, click Change Settings > select " Check
> for updates but let me choose whether to download and install " > OK
> 2. Updates offered to you but you don't want them :
> Right click on the update you don't want > click HIDE
> You'll never see it again.
> NOTE : Other than " optional updates ", #2 won't work unless you enable #1
> ( manual installing updates ).
> t-4-2
>
> "Fel4Two" <Fel4Two@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I installed IE8 - didn't like it and uninstalled it. Now windows update
> > keeps trying to reinstall. I have to constantly click on the icon, custom
> > install and uncheck the IE8 box so it won't install. I looked at the
> > update
> > history on the Update site. It thinks IE8 was successfully installed. So
> > really shouldn't be getting it offered anymore. How do I make it stop!!
> > It's truly annoying and MS knowledge base only has solutions for those
> > installations that failed or wants to show you how to successfully
> > install.
> > I just want to stop being annoyed about installing it and I don't want to
> > install it. Help!!

Fel4Two

Re: IE8 problems
Well I might have gotten it. Went to Windows Update, hit custom, when it
showed me the updates I unchecked IE8 and checked don't show it again. Don't
know yet if that did it - so keep your fingers crossed for me.

"t-4-2" wrote:

> 1. To stop updates installed to your machine AUTOMATICALLY :
> Open Windows Update > left column, click Change Settings > select " Check
> for updates but let me choose whether to download and install " > OK
> 2. Updates offered to you but you don't want them :
> Right click on the update you don't want > click HIDE
> You'll never see it again.
> NOTE : Other than " optional updates ", #2 won't work unless you enable #1
> ( manual installing updates ).
> t-4-2
>
> "Fel4Two" <Fel4Two@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I installed IE8 - didn't like it and uninstalled it. Now windows update
> > keeps trying to reinstall. I have to constantly click on the icon, custom
> > install and uncheck the IE8 box so it won't install. I looked at the
> > update
> > history on the Update site. It thinks IE8 was successfully installed. So
> > really shouldn't be getting it offered anymore. How do I make it stop!!
> > It's truly annoying and MS knowledge base only has solutions for those
> > installations that failed or wants to show you how to successfully
> > install.
> > I just want to stop being annoyed about installing it and I don't want to
> > install it. Help!!

t-4-2

Re: IE8 problems
What do you have ? OE in XP ?
My instructions were based on Windows Mail in Vista.

> Well I might have gotten it. Went to Windows Update, hit custom, when it
> showed me the updates I unchecked IE8 and checked don't show it again.
> Don't
> know yet if that did it - so keep your fingers crossed for me.
>
> "t-4-2" wrote:
>

>> 1. To stop updates installed to your machine AUTOMATICALLY :
>> Open Windows Update > left column, click Change Settings > select " Check
>> for updates but let me choose whether to download and install " > OK
>> 2. Updates offered to you but you don't want them :
>> Right click on the update you don't want > click HIDE
>> You'll never see it again.
>> NOTE : Other than " optional updates ", #2 won't work unless you enable
>> ( manual installing updates ).
>> t-4-2
>>
>> "Fel4Two" <Fel4Two@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I installed IE8 - didn't like it and uninstalled it. Now windows
>> > update
>> > keeps trying to reinstall. I have to constantly click on the icon,
>> > custom
>> > install and uncheck the IE8 box so it won't install. I looked at the
>> > update
>> > history on the Update site. It thinks IE8 was successfully installed.
>> > So
>> > really shouldn't be getting it offered anymore. How do I make it
>> > stop!!
>> > It's truly annoying and MS knowledge base only has solutions for those
>> > installations that failed or wants to show you how to successfully
>> > install.
>> > I just want to stop being annoyed about installing it and I don't want
>> > install it. Help!!

Re: IE8 problems
Assuming WinXP:

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Win XP ONLY! => Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow
the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

=====================================

How to hide updates in Vista: Click View available updates | Right-click on
the update you wish to hide | Click Hide Update | Confirm the UAC (User
Account Control) if appropriate.

To restore/unhide updates in Vista: Start | Control Panel | System And
Maintenance (If you are using Classic View, skip this step) | Windows Update
| Restore Hidden Updates | Find and select the update you wish to install |
Restore. You can now reselect it and install through the normal process.
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

Fel4Two wrote:
> I installed IE8 - didn't like it and uninstalled it. Now windows update
> keeps trying to reinstall. I have to constantly click on the icon, custom
> install and uncheck the IE8 box so it won't install. I looked at the
> update
> history on the Update site. It thinks IE8 was successfully installed. So
> really shouldn't be getting it offered anymore. How do I make it stop!!
> It's truly annoying and MS knowledge base only has solutions for those
> installations that failed or wants to show you how to successfully
> install.
> I just want to stop being annoyed about installing it and I don't want to
> install it. Help!!

Bob Eyster

Re: IE8 problems
"Fel4Two" <Fel4Two@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I installed IE8 - didn't like it and uninstalled it. Now windows update
> keeps trying to reinstall. I have to constantly click on the icon, custom
> install and uncheck the IE8 box so it won't install. I looked at the
> update
> history on the Update site. It thinks IE8 was successfully installed. So
> really shouldn't be getting it offered anymore. How do I make it stop!!
> It's truly annoying and MS knowledge base only has solutions for those
> installations that failed or wants to show you how to successfully
> install.
> I just want to stop being annoyed about installing it and I don't want to
> install it. Help!!

In the windows Update window right-click on the IE8 update and select Hide.
It won't be offered any longer until you un-hide it.

--
Bob Eyster
Windows Vista Ultimate SP2