Broken WSUS Server

DavidC

Broken WSUS Server
Hi,
Unfortunately our WSUS server has died.

I have reset the GP to default options (not configured) - now when I visit
Windows updates I can download updates but they fail with the 2 error codes
0x8024200E and 0x80070005 when installing.

I guess taking the clients off the domain and adding back on will resolve
this but would rather avoid this!

Thanks
David
Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Broken WSUS Server
DavidC wrote:

> Unfortunately our WSUS server has died.
>
> I have reset the GP to default options (not configured) - now when I visit
> Windows updates I can download updates but they fail with the 2 error codes
> 0x8024200E and 0x80070005 when installing.
>
> I guess taking the clients off the domain and adding back on will resolve
> this but would rather avoid this!

I shouldn't think so; having a WSUS server configured shouldn't cause these
symptoms. (Incidentally, you have to explicitly reverse these group policy
settings to remove them from the machines; setting them to "not configured"
won't change the WSUS configuration on existing clients.)

What operating system are the clients? What service pack level? What update
are you trying to install (pick one)? Will it install if you download it from
the Microsoft Download Center and run the installer manually?

Harry.
DavidC

Re: Broken WSUS Server
Hi Harry,
XP and 2k - all with most recent SPs.

Yes if updates are manually downloaded, they do install ok.

Pretty sure I have a backup of the GPO rather than rebuild that I assume
when I get a new WSUS server built I can get all of this working?

Thanks
Dave

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> DavidC wrote:
>
> > Unfortunately our WSUS server has died.
> >
> > I have reset the GP to default options (not configured) - now when I visit
> > Windows updates I can download updates but they fail with the 2 error codes
> > 0x8024200E and 0x80070005 when installing.
> >
> > I guess taking the clients off the domain and adding back on will resolve
> > this but would rather avoid this!

> I shouldn't think so; having a WSUS server configured shouldn't cause these
> symptoms. (Incidentally, you have to explicitly reverse these group policy
> settings to remove them from the machines; setting them to "not configured"
> won't change the WSUS configuration on existing clients.)
>
> What operating system are the clients? What service pack level? What update
> are you trying to install (pick one)? Will it install if you download it from
> the Microsoft Download Center and run the installer manually?
>
> Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Broken WSUS Server
DavidC wrote:

> Hi Harry,
> XP and 2k - all with most recent SPs.
>
> Yes if updates are manually downloaded, they do install ok.
>
> Pretty sure I have a backup of the GPO rather than rebuild that I assume
> when I get a new WSUS server built I can get all of this working?

I'd say there's a reasonable chance that the issue will go away once you point
the clients back to a WSUS server; 80/20, say. The underlying issue might still
be present, but it may not matter if there aren't any other symptoms.

If you want to keep trying to resolve the immediate issue, I'd suggest a visit
to the Windows Update web site on one of the affected machines - this might or
might not actually fix the problem, but even if it doesn't, finding out whether
updates will install that way would be a good first diagnostic step.

Harry.