0x80070005 error on multiple computers

Kevin Nelson

0x80070005 error on multiple computers
I am trying to update classrooms as a final step before shutting down the
computers for the summer. I am getting the error code 0x80070005 on about
half of the computers that I have tried to update. All are WinXP pro sp2, I
am logged in as administrator and as far as I can tell there are no virus or
malware infections. I have gone over many different boards and blogs and help
sites but still can not get the computer to update. Is there one sure fire
way to resolve this without having to jump through multiple hoops. If the
school were networked correctly I could jump through all day, but I have more
than 200 to do individually. Thanks.

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
0x80070005 ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED

See this recent & related discussion:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...063ad7164373d9

> ...as far as I can tell there are no virus or malware infections

Perhaps you need to do a little more digging. Malware/hijackware infection
is the Prime Suspect when encountering this error.

Please note that if these computers are networked via a LAN, one (1)
infected computer can infect all the others within seconds. You will need
to remove all computers from the network & clean every one of them before
reconnecting them to the network or else all your work will be undone within
seconds.

QED: WinXP SP3 was released over a year ago. Why wasn't it installed on all
the WinXP SP2 machines months ago?

QED: When was the last time these machines were fully patched at Windows
Update?

Kevin Nelson wrote:
> I am trying to update classrooms as a final step before shutting down the
> computers for the summer. I am getting the error code 0x80070005 on about
> half of the computers that I have tried to update. All are WinXP pro sp2,
> am logged in as administrator and as far as I can tell there are no virus
> or
> malware infections. I have gone over many different boards and blogs and
> help sites but still can not get the computer to update. Is there one sure
> fire way to resolve this without having to jump through multiple hoops. If
> the school were networked correctly I could jump through all day, but I
> have more than 200 to do individually. Thanks.

MowGreen

Kevin Nelson wrote:

> I am trying to update classrooms as a final step before shutting down the
> computers for the summer. I am getting the error code 0x80070005 on about
> half of the computers that I have tried to update. All are WinXP pro sp2, I
> am logged in as administrator and as far as I can tell there are no virus or
> malware infections. I have gone over many different boards and blogs and help
> sites but still can not get the computer to update. Is there one sure fire
> way to resolve this without having to jump through multiple hoops. If the
> school were networked correctly I could jump through all day, but I have more
> than 200 to do individually. Thanks.

0x80070005 means Access Denied. Usually it's caused by security
software, Group Policy setting[s], incorrect Permissions, or malware.
IF Group Policy were the culprit, then all of the systems would be
affected, unless it was only applied to 1/2 of them.

MowGreen
==============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Kevin Nelson

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
Yes the computers are on a LAN, but the computers do not have access to each
other. They are set up 2-8 to a classroom with a networked printer. File and
printer sharing is not enabled so they see the printer that is installed but
not the other computers in the room. They all have either Symantec 9 or 10,
Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster. If one were infected as you think,
then wouldn't all of them have the same problem?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 0x80070005 ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
>
> See this recent & related discussion:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...063ad7164373d9
>
> > ...as far as I can tell there are no virus or malware infections

> Perhaps you need to do a little more digging. Malware/hijackware infection
> is the Prime Suspect when encountering this error.
>
> Please note that if these computers are networked via a LAN, one (1)
> infected computer can infect all the others within seconds. You will need
> to remove all computers from the network & clean every one of them before
> reconnecting them to the network or else all your work will be undone within
> seconds.
>
> QED: WinXP SP3 was released over a year ago. Why wasn't it installed on all
> the WinXP SP2 machines months ago?

Windows on all computers is set for automatic updates. Apparently that is
another thing that is not working right with them.

> QED: When was the last time these machines were fully patched at Windows
> Update?

see the previous answer

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Kevin Nelson wrote:
> > I am trying to update classrooms as a final step before shutting down the
> > computers for the summer. I am getting the error code 0x80070005 on about
> > half of the computers that I have tried to update. All are WinXP pro sp2,
> > am logged in as administrator and as far as I can tell there are no virus
> > or
> > malware infections. I have gone over many different boards and blogs and
> > help sites but still can not get the computer to update. Is there one sure
> > fire way to resolve this without having to jump through multiple hoops. If
> > the school were networked correctly I could jump through all day, but I
> > have more than 200 to do individually. Thanks.

Kevin Nelson

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
The way that the DOE runs things is that there are restricted,
semi-restricted and full access accounts. The students are restricted, the
teachers are semi-restricted and the DOE techs have full access. I have full
access and so I don't suspect group policy. The computers have standard
images that only change slightly from model to model.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Kevin Nelson wrote:
>
> > I am trying to update classrooms as a final step before shutting down the
> > computers for the summer. I am getting the error code 0x80070005 on about
> > half of the computers that I have tried to update. All are WinXP pro sp2, I
> > am logged in as administrator and as far as I can tell there are no virus or
> > malware infections. I have gone over many different boards and blogs and help
> > sites but still can not get the computer to update. Is there one sure fire
> > way to resolve this without having to jump through multiple hoops. If the
> > school were networked correctly I could jump through all day, but I have more
> > than 200 to do individually. Thanks.

> 0x80070005 means Access Denied. Usually it's caused by security
> software, Group Policy setting[s], incorrect Permissions, or malware.
> IF Group Policy were the culprit, then all of the systems would be
> affected, unless it was only applied to 1/2 of them.
>

> MowGreen
> ==============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
[Please avoid in-line replies, Kevin]

> If one were infected as you think,
> then wouldn't all of them have the same problem?

Given the additional information you posted, probably not.

> Windows on all computers is set for automatic updates. Apparently that is
> another thing that is not working right with them.

Yet another indication of infection, I'm afraid.

Is the AV app functional and are all machines updating definitions on a
regular basis? How do Ad-Aware (version?), Spybot (version?), and
SpywareBlaster update? Who, if anyone, runs regular AV scans, Ad-Aware
scans, and Spybot scans?

This does NOT sound good. Your best bet, time-wise, may be to format & do
clean install of WinXP. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place
upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

Tip: Consider installing Windows SteadyState on all of these machines (i.e.,
once they're all completely clean & fully patched)! See
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=27570

Kevin Nelson wrote:
> Yes the computers are on a LAN, but the computers do not have access to
> each
> other. They are set up 2-8 to a classroom with a networked printer. File
> and
> printer sharing is not enabled so they see the printer that is installed
> but
> not the other computers in the room. They all have either Symantec 9 or
> 10,
> Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster. If one were infected as you
> think,
> then wouldn't all of them have the same problem?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> 0x80070005 ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
>>
>> See this recent & related discussion:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...063ad7164373d9
>>
>>> ...as far as I can tell there are no virus or malware infections

>> Perhaps you need to do a little more digging. Malware/hijackware
>> infection
>> is the Prime Suspect when encountering this error.
>>
>> Please note that if these computers are networked via a LAN, one (1)
>> infected computer can infect all the others within seconds. You will
>> need
>> to remove all computers from the network & clean every one of them before
>> reconnecting them to the network or else all your work will be undone
>> within seconds.
>>
>> QED: WinXP SP3 was released over a year ago. Why wasn't it installed on
>> all the WinXP SP2 machines months ago?

> Windows on all computers is set for automatic updates. Apparently that is
> another thing that is not working right with them.
>
>> QED: When was the last time these machines were fully patched at Windows
>> Update?

> see the previous answer
>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Kevin Nelson wrote:
>>> I am trying to update classrooms as a final step before shutting down
>>> the
>>> computers for the summer. I am getting the error code 0x80070005 on
>>> about
>>> half of the computers that I have tried to update. All are WinXP pro
>>> sp2,
>>> am logged in as administrator and as far as I can tell there are no
>>> virus
>>> or
>>> malware infections. I have gone over many different boards and blogs and
>>> help sites but still can not get the computer to update. Is there one
>>> sure
>>> fire way to resolve this without having to jump through multiple hoops.
>>> If
>>> the school were networked correctly I could jump through all day, but I
>>> have more than 200 to do individually. Thanks.

Kevin Nelson

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
The antivirus updates and runs daily with no problems. It does it on whatever
account is currently logged on. The other scanning programs I run if I get
reports of strange behavior, otherwise they get updated and run about every
two months.

Time is a problem as I will only be working the school until July 3, and
will not be back until the beginning of September. In order to do a clean
install I would have to open a DOE help ticket for each computer and they
want someone to be the contact person when they show up. 200+ computers would
be WAY too major an undertaking for the end of the school year.

We have a lab that has Steady State loaded and that is fine, but once again,
200+ tickets would be needed to install on the computers in addition to the
ones for the clean install.

So, back to the surefire procedure in response to 0x80070005.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> is the Prime Suspect when encountering this error.
> >>
> >> Please note that if these computers are networked via a LAN, one (1)
> >> infected computer can infect all the others within seconds. You will
> >> need
> >> to remove all computers from the network & clean every one of them before
> >> reconnecting them to the network or else all your work will be undone
> >> within seconds.
> >>
> >> QED: WinXP SP3 was released over a year ago. Why wasn't it installed on
> >> all the WinXP SP2 machines months ago?

> > Windows on all computers is set for automatic updates. Apparently that is
> > another thing that is not working right with them.
> >
> >> QED: When was the last time these machines were fully patched at Windows
> >> Update?

> > see the previous answer
> >
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
More power to you.

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Kevin Nelson wrote:
> [...]

>>> Yes the computers are on a LAN, but the computers do not have access to
>>> each
>>> other. They are set up 2-8 to a classroom with a networked printer. File
>>> and
>>> printer sharing is not enabled so they see the printer that is installed
>>> but
>>> not the other computers in the room. They all have either Symantec 9 or
>>> 10,
>>> Ad-aware, Spybot S&D and Spywareblaster. If one were infected as you
>>> think,
>>> then wouldn't all of them have the same problem?

>>> Windows on all computers is set for automatic updates. Apparently that
>>> is
>>> another thing that is not working right with them.

>>> see the previous answer

Kevin Nelson

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
And this is what all the initials after your name has come up with? More
power to me? I now know what it is, an insideous plague on computing in
general. It's called Windows and the horrible part is that in spite of the
mental anguish it causes, we have to keep using it.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> More power to you.
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> Kevin Nelson wrote:
> > The antivirus updates and runs daily with no problems. It does it on
> > whatever account is currently logged on. The other scanning programs I run
> > if I get reports of strange behavior, otherwise they get updated and run
> > about every two months.
> >
> > Time is a problem as I will only be working the school until July 3, and
> > will not be back until the beginning of September. In order to do a clean
> > install I would have to open a DOE help ticket for each computer and they
> > want someone to be the contact person when they show up. 200+ computers
> > would be WAY too major an undertaking for the end of the school year.
> >
> > We have a lab that has Steady State loaded and that is fine, but once
> > again,
> > 200+ tickets would be needed to install on the computers in addition to
> > the
> > ones for the clean install.
> >
> > So, back to the surefire procedure in response to 0x80070005.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> [Please avoid in-line replies, Kevin]

> >> Given the additional information you posted, probably not.

> >> Yet another indication of infection, I'm afraid.
> >>
> >> Is the AV app functional and are all machines updating definitions on a
> >> regular basis? How do Ad-Aware (version?), Spybot (version?), and
> >> SpywareBlaster update? Who, if anyone, runs regular AV scans, Ad-Aware
> >> scans, and Spybot scans?
> >>
> >> This does NOT sound good. Your best bet, time-wise, may be to format &
> >> do
> >> clean install of WinXP. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA in-place
> >> upgrade) will NOT fix this!
> >>
> >> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
> >>
> >> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer"
> >> so
> >> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> >> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
> >> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
> >>
> >> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
> >>
> >> Tip: Consider installing Windows SteadyState on all of these machines
> >> (i.e., once they're all completely clean & fully patched)! See
> >> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=27570

Re: 0x80070005 error on multiple computers
I gave you my recommendations, including...

> This does NOT sound good. Your best bet, time-wise, may be to format &
> do clean install of WinXP...

....and you've chosen to ignore them, so yes, more power to you. Perhaps
"your usual support contacts" will be able to assist you, Kevin.