Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install

pokepal101

Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
I want to install Mcafee SecurityCenter on my computer but I need Service
Pack 2.
I went to the download page and saw that is was VERY big, so I decided to
get SP1a, then SP3.
I downloaded sp1aexpress_usa.exe and ran it but it said that my language
didn't match the install language. Then I remembered that I actually had a
chinese OS so I downloaded sp1aexpress_chs.exe but it just came up with
???????????????????? Windows XP ????????????????. Which I assume is the same
error message.
What can I do to install SP1a? (And how can I make my chinese computer able
to display chinese characters?)
pokepal101

RE: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
UPDATE:
I google'd the internet and fixed the ????? problem, only to discover it WAS
the same error.
PA Bear [MS-MVP]

Re: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
Are you currently running WinXP without any Service Packs installed?

May we assume that you currently have no anti-virus application
installed?
--
~PA Bear, MS-MVP

On Jun 23, 4:52*am, pokepal101 <pokepal...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I want to install Mcafee SecurityCenter on my computer but I need Service
> Pack 2.
> I went to the download page and saw that is was VERY big, so I decided to
> get SP1a, then SP3.
> I downloaded sp1aexpress_usa.exe and ran it but it said that my language
> didn't match the install language. Then I remembered that I actually had a
> chinese OS so I downloaded sp1aexpress_chs.exe but it just came up with
> ???????????????????? Windows XP ????????????????. Which I assume is the same
> error message.
> What can I do to install SP1a? (And how can I make my chinese computer able
> to display chinese characters?)

pokepal101

Re: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
At last, a reply.

Yes, I am currently running Windows XP No Service Pack (SP0), and I used to
have an Anti-Virus program (AVG 7) but it got outdated and I require WinXP
SP2 to install AVG 8.

"PA Bear [MS-MVP]" wrote:

> Are you currently running WinXP without any Service Packs installed?
>
> May we assume that you currently have no anti-virus application
> installed?
> --
> ~PA Bear, MS-MVP
>

> On Jun 23, 4:52 am, pokepal101 <pokepal...@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote:
> > I want to install Mcafee SecurityCenter on my computer but I need Service
> > Pack 2.
> > I went to the download page and saw that is was VERY big, so I decided to
> > get SP1a, then SP3.
> > I downloaded sp1aexpress_usa.exe and ran it but it said that my language
> > didn't match the install language. Then I remembered that I actually had a
> > chinese OS so I downloaded sp1aexpress_chs.exe but it just came up with
> > ???????????????????? Windows XP ????????????????. Which I assume is the same
> > error message.
> > What can I do to install SP1a? (And how can I make my chinese computer able
> > to display chinese characters?)

Re: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
There's not a chance in h*** that your computer is NOT compromised by any
number of security vulnerabilies! Proceed as follows:

Backup your personal data (none of which may be 100% trustworthy), then do a
format & clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA
in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!

cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps

After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:

5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
(after a clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c

HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
clean install)
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b

Also see:

Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx

Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx

www.banthecheck.com

pokepal101 wrote:
> At last, a reply.
>
> Yes, I am currently running Windows XP No Service Pack (SP0), and I used
> have an Anti-Virus program (AVG 7) but it got outdated and I require WinXP
> SP2 to install AVG 8.
>
> "PA Bear [MS-MVP]" wrote:
>> Are you currently running WinXP without any Service Packs installed?
>>
>> May we assume that you currently have no anti-virus application
>> installed?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear, MS-MVP
>>

>> On Jun 23, 4:52 am, pokepal101 <pokepal...@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote:
>>> I want to install Mcafee SecurityCenter on my computer but I need
>>> Service
>>> Pack 2.
>>> I went to the download page and saw that is was VERY big, so I decided
>>> get SP1a, then SP3.
>>> I downloaded sp1aexpress_usa.exe and ran it but it said that my language
>>> didn't match the install language. Then I remembered that I actually had
>>> chinese OS so I downloaded sp1aexpress_chs.exe but it just came up with
>>> ???????????????????? Windows XP ????????????????. Which I assume is the
>>> same error message.
>>> What can I do to install SP1a? (And how can I make my chinese computer
>>> able to display chinese characters?)

pokepal101

Re: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There's not a chance in h*** that your computer is NOT compromised by any
> number of security vulnerabilies! Proceed as follows:
>
> Backup your personal data (none of which may be 100% trustworthy), then do a
> format & clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA
> in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!
>
> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
>
> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
> (after a clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
> clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>
> Also see:
>
> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
>
> Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> pokepal101 wrote:
> > At last, a reply.
> >
> > Yes, I am currently running Windows XP No Service Pack (SP0), and I used
> > have an Anti-Virus program (AVG 7) but it got outdated and I require WinXP
> > SP2 to install AVG 8.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >> Are you currently running WinXP without any Service Packs installed?
> >>
> >> May we assume that you currently have no anti-virus application
> >> installed?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear, MS-MVP

pokepal101

Re: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
Oh, that's just great.
My XP key is DG8FV-B9TKY-FRT9J-6CRCC-XPQ4G, which is a fraudlent key.
In addition, my Office Pro 2003 key is GWH28-DGCMP-P6RC4-6J4MT-3HFDY, which
is also a fradulent key.
Oh well, guess I'll have to pay a lotta money all over again...

(So yeah, it's not a virus or anything, it's just I got ripped off. No
matter though, it's a 'hand-me-down')

Thanks anyway though.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There's not a chance in h*** that your computer is NOT compromised by any
> number of security vulnerabilies! Proceed as follows:
>
> Backup your personal data (none of which may be 100% trustworthy), then do a
> format & clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install (AKA
> in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!
>
> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
>
> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer" so
> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>
> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
> (after a clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>
> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
> clean install)
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>
> Also see:
>
> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
>
> Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx
>
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> www.banthecheck.com
>

> pokepal101 wrote:
> > At last, a reply.
> >
> > Yes, I am currently running Windows XP No Service Pack (SP0), and I used
> > have an Anti-Virus program (AVG 7) but it got outdated and I require WinXP
> > SP2 to install AVG 8.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS-MVP]" wrote:
> >> Are you currently running WinXP without any Service Packs installed?
> >>
> >> May we assume that you currently have no anti-virus application
> >> installed?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear, MS-MVP

Re: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
Sorry to hear this. Hope you didn't pay too much for it or you can get your
money back.

/Caveat emptor/

pokepal101 wrote:
> Oh, that's just great.
> My XP key is DG8FV-B9TKY-FRT9J-6CRCC-XPQ4G, which is a fraudlent key.
> In addition, my Office Pro 2003 key is GWH28-DGCMP-P6RC4-6J4MT-3HFDY,
> which
> is also a fradulent key.
> Oh well, guess I'll have to pay a lotta money all over again...
>
> (So yeah, it's not a virus or anything, it's just I got ripped off. No
> matter though, it's a 'hand-me-down')
>
> Thanks anyway though.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> There's not a chance in h*** that your computer is NOT compromised by any
>> number of security vulnerabilies! Proceed as follows:
>>
>> Backup your personal data (none of which may be 100% trustworthy), then
>> do
>> a format & clean install of Windows. Please note that a Repair Install
>> (AKA in-place upgrade) will NOT fix this!
>>
>> cf. http://michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.html#steps
>>
>> After the clean install, you'll have the equivalent of a "new computer"
>> so
>> take care of everything on the following page before otherwise connecting
>> the machine to the internet or a network and before using a USB key that
>> isn't brand-new or hasn't been freshly formatted:
>>
>> 5 steps to help protect your new computer before you go online
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...nced/xppc.mspx
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP Gold (no Service Packs) fully patched
>> (after a clean install)
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...5afa8ed33e121c
>>
>> HOW TO get a computer running WinXP SP1(a) or SP2 fully patched (after a
>> clean install)
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...66ae41add7dd2b
>>
>> Also see:
>>
>> Steps To Help Prevent Spyware
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...e/prevent.mspx
>>
>> Rogue Security Software - Microsoft Security:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/protect/com...ses/rogue.mspx
>>
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> www.banthecheck.com
>>

>> pokepal101 wrote:
>>> At last, a reply.
>>>
>>> Yes, I am currently running Windows XP No Service Pack (SP0), and I used
>>> have an Anti-Virus program (AVG 7) but it got outdated and I require
>>> WinXP
>>> SP2 to install AVG 8.

pokepal101

Re: Language Problem with WinXP SP1a install
So, it's 4 months later, I managed to get a working key, and... uh-oh... it
still doesn't work... I tried both the english (-usa) and chinese (-chs) but
none work.
And I don't think the clean install will help because it's a copied CD I'm
using with a real key, and I don't think it's a virus because I don't see my
computer completely blowing up or anything...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There's not a chance in h*** that your computer is NOT compromised by any
> number of security vulnerabilies! Proceed as follows:
> etc, etc.

Shenan Stanley

pokepal101 wrote:
> So, it's 4 months later, I managed to get a working key, and...
> uh-oh... it still doesn't work... I tried both the english (-usa)
> and chinese (-chs) but none work.
> And I don't think the clean install will help because it's a copied
> CD I'm using with a real key, and I don't think it's a virus
> because I don't see my computer completely blowing up or anything...

Yes - and viruses only make your computer 'completely blow up' - they don't
ever just sit there and collect data/send receive data, use your machine for
their own purposes. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP