Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Auto/Windows/Microsoft Update checking for and installing updates for MSO 2007 (which I don't have)

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2009
matty
 

Posts: n/a
Auto/Windows/Microsoft Update checking for and installing updates for MSO 2007 (which I don't have)
OS = WinXP Pro SP3

I use MS Office 2003. A few weeks ago, I had to open a docx file (MS Word
2007) and so MSWord prompted me to install an add-on so that the file can be
opened in MS Word 2003. I clicked on Yes.

Since then, Windows/Microsoft Update includes MSO2007 updates in my list of
updates to install. Why does Windows/Microsoft Update do that when all that
my PC has of MSO 2007 is the Word2007 add-on and nothing else?

I have AutoUpdate on so I never noticed that it was installing MSO2007
updates. I only noticed today when I did a manual Windows/Microsoft Update
and noticed MSO2007 updates in the list.

Is it necessary that I install those MSO2007 updates?
Will having all those MSO2007 updates mess up (in what way?) my MSO 2003
applications? Or are they harmless - i.e., I don't need to uninstall/undo
the MSO2007 updates?


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Auto/Windows/Microsoft Update checking for and installing updates for MSO 2007 (which I don't have)
Short version:

> I use MS Office 2003


Office 2003 SP3, I presume.

> ...MSWord prompted me to install an add-on so that the file [created in
> Word
> 2007] can be opened in MS Word 2003. I clicked on Yes.


You installed the Office Compatibility Pack for Word (and, possibly, Excel &
PowerPoint) 2007 File Formats.

> Since then, Windows/Microsoft Update includes MSO2007 updates in my list
> of
> updates to install. Why does Windows/Microsoft Update do that...


You'll need to install the security updates for MS Office 2003 (SP3) as well
as the security updates for Office Compatibility Pack now as both
applications are subject to security vulnerabilities. (There's a KB that
explains this somewhere but I can't find it right now.)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


matty wrote:
> OS = WinXP Pro SP3
>
> I use MS Office 2003. A few weeks ago, I had to open a docx file (MS Word
> 2007) and so MSWord prompted me to install an add-on so that the file can
> be
> opened in MS Word 2003. I clicked on Yes.
>
> Since then, Windows/Microsoft Update includes MSO2007 updates in my list
> of
> updates to install. Why does Windows/Microsoft Update do that when all
> that
> my PC has of MSO 2007 is the Word2007 add-on and nothing else?
>
> I have AutoUpdate on so I never noticed that it was installing MSO2007
> updates. I only noticed today when I did a manual Windows/Microsoft Update
> and noticed MSO2007 updates in the list.
>
> Is it necessary that I install those MSO2007 updates?
> Will having all those MSO2007 updates mess up (in what way?) my MSO 2003
> applications? Or are they harmless - i.e., I don't need to uninstall/undo
> the MSO2007 updates?


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2009
matty
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Auto/Windows/Microsoft Update checking for and installing updates for MSO 2007 (which I don't have)
Thanks!
So, I take it that AutoUpdate will not install any other MSO2007 updates
except Security updates and Service Pack updates to the currently-installed
MSO Compability Pack?


"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23h9o$GB9JHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Short version:
>
>> I use MS Office 2003

>
> Office 2003 SP3, I presume.
>
>> ...MSWord prompted me to install an add-on so that the file [created in
>> Word
>> 2007] can be opened in MS Word 2003. I clicked on Yes.

>
> You installed the Office Compatibility Pack for Word (and, possibly, Excel
> & PowerPoint) 2007 File Formats.
>
>> Since then, Windows/Microsoft Update includes MSO2007 updates in my list
>> of
>> updates to install. Why does Windows/Microsoft Update do that...

>
> You'll need to install the security updates for MS Office 2003 (SP3) as
> well as the security updates for Office Compatibility Pack now as both
> applications are subject to security vulnerabilities. (There's a KB that
> explains this somewhere but I can't find it right now.)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>
>
> matty wrote:
>> OS = WinXP Pro SP3
>>
>> I use MS Office 2003. A few weeks ago, I had to open a docx file (MS Word
>> 2007) and so MSWord prompted me to install an add-on so that the file can
>> be
>> opened in MS Word 2003. I clicked on Yes.
>>
>> Since then, Windows/Microsoft Update includes MSO2007 updates in my list
>> of
>> updates to install. Why does Windows/Microsoft Update do that when all
>> that
>> my PC has of MSO 2007 is the Word2007 add-on and nothing else?
>>
>> I have AutoUpdate on so I never noticed that it was installing MSO2007
>> updates. I only noticed today when I did a manual Windows/Microsoft
>> Update
>> and noticed MSO2007 updates in the list.
>>
>> Is it necessary that I install those MSO2007 updates?
>> Will having all those MSO2007 updates mess up (in what way?) my MSO 2003
>> applications? Or are they harmless - i.e., I don't need to uninstall/undo
>> the MSO2007 updates?

>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Auto/Windows/Microsoft Update checking for and installing updates for MSO 2007 (which I don't have)
Egggzzzactly! <wink>

matty wrote:
> Thanks!
> So, I take it that AutoUpdate will not install any other MSO2007 updates
> except Security updates and Service Pack updates to the
> currently-installed
> MSO Compability Pack?
>
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:%23h9o$GB9JHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> Short version:
>>
>>> I use MS Office 2003

>>
>> Office 2003 SP3, I presume.
>>
>>> ...MSWord prompted me to install an add-on so that the file [created in
>>> Word
>>> 2007] can be opened in MS Word 2003. I clicked on Yes.

>>
>> You installed the Office Compatibility Pack for Word (and, possibly,
>> Excel
>> & PowerPoint) 2007 File Formats.
>>
>>> Since then, Windows/Microsoft Update includes MSO2007 updates in my list
>>> of
>>> updates to install. Why does Windows/Microsoft Update do that...

>>
>> You'll need to install the security updates for MS Office 2003 (SP3) as
>> well as the security updates for Office Compatibility Pack now as both
>> applications are subject to security vulnerabilities. (There's a KB that
>> explains this somewhere but I can't find it right now.)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>>
>>
>> matty wrote:
>>> OS = WinXP Pro SP3
>>>
>>> I use MS Office 2003. A few weeks ago, I had to open a docx file (MS
>>> Word
>>> 2007) and so MSWord prompted me to install an add-on so that the file
>>> can
>>> be
>>> opened in MS Word 2003. I clicked on Yes.
>>>
>>> Since then, Windows/Microsoft Update includes MSO2007 updates in my list
>>> of
>>> updates to install. Why does Windows/Microsoft Update do that when all
>>> that
>>> my PC has of MSO 2007 is the Word2007 add-on and nothing else?
>>>
>>> I have AutoUpdate on so I never noticed that it was installing MSO2007
>>> updates. I only noticed today when I did a manual Windows/Microsoft
>>> Update
>>> and noticed MSO2007 updates in the list.
>>>
>>> Is it necessary that I install those MSO2007 updates?
>>> Will having all those MSO2007 updates mess up (in what way?) my MSO 2003
>>> applications? Or are they harmless - i.e., I don't need to
>>> uninstall/undo
>>> the MSO2007 updates?


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Update and Windows Update Fail at "Checking for Updates" RP microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 12-18-2008 09:04
Checking for Auto Updates Richard Fangnail microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 08-13-2008 05:38
windows updates not auto installing carl43m microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 05-22-2008 13:16
Windows update is not checking updates properly! SAWALLUS microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 01-26-2008 02:26




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:27.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120