SP3 installed; now boot fails.

Bluelazer

SP3 installed; now boot fails.
AutoUpdate said SP3 was ready for installation. I said "ok", everything
seemed to go ok, but when it was time to boot the new install my system just
keeps looping in the boot process. I can't even get into Safe Mode or "Last
known good configuration".

How can I undo the install if I can't bring up the system?
TaurArian

RE: SP3 installed; now boot fails.
Use the recovery console - Method 4
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

Then see:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717

guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.

"Bluelazer" wrote:

> AutoUpdate said SP3 was ready for installation. I said "ok", everything
> seemed to go ok, but when it was time to boot the new install my system just
> keeps looping in the boot process. I can't even get into Safe Mode or "Last
> known good configuration".
>
> How can I undo the install if I can't bring up the system?

Re: SP3 installed; now boot fails.
[Forwarded to WinXP General via crosspost]

For well over a year, MS offered free & unlimited installation and
compatibility support for WinXP SP3. That support ended about a month ago.

How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

Error message after you upgrade a computer that uses a processor other than
an Intel processor to Windows XP Service Pack 2 or to Windows XP Service
Pack 3: "STOP: 0x0000007E":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/953356

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs: Computer Restarts after Displaying Stop Error
0x0000007E [after installing WinXP SP3]
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...name=c01457284

The hard disk space requirements for WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311

You receive error messages if there is insufficient free disk space on the
system drive to install the Windows XP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956894

How to reclaim disk space on a Windows XP-based computer that has a hard
disk capacity of 4 GB or less
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956324

Error message when you try to install Windows XP SP3: "You do not have
enough free disk space on %SystemDrive% to archive the uninstall files"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375

Error message when you try to install WinXP SP3: "Access is denied" or
“Service Pack installation did not complete”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

[Possible fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...n-windows-xp/]

WinXP SP3 installation fails with an error message, and the following error
is logged in the service pack installation log: "8007F0F4 -
STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388

Error messages when you try to install Windows XP Service Pack 3: "Service
Pack 3 installation did not complete" and "An internal error occurred":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384

Error message when you try to install a service pack in Windows XP: "Windows
has detected that one or more protected core system files (kernel) on your
computer have been modified":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327101

====================================

Error Codes:

0x8007F0F4 STATUS_PREREQUISITE_FAILED
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949388

0x80246007 SUS_E_DM_NOTDOWNLOADED
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949386/

0x8007F003 STATUS_NOT_ENOUGH_SPACE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949385

0x80070005 ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949377

0x800706BE RPC_S_CALL_FAILED
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

0x8007F02B STATUS_NOT_ENOUGH_WITH_UNINST
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949375

0x87FF0004 Error_Too_Many_Open_Files
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

0x8007054F Error_Internal_Error
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949384

0x8007001F ERROR_GEN_FAILURE
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

0x8007F070 STATUS_SETUP_ERROR
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

0x8007F205 STR_UPDATE_ALREADY_RUNNING
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949381

0x8007F004 STATUS_INSUFFICIENT_PRIVS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/951244

0x80070001 ERROR_INVALID_FUNCTION
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

0x80070002 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

0x8007F0CC STATUS_KERNEL_NONSTD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327101

0x87FF054F
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

0x87FF36B7

Bluelazer wrote:
> AutoUpdate said SP3 was ready for installation. I said "ok", everything
> seemed to go ok, but when it was time to boot the new install my system
> just
> keeps looping in the boot process. I can't even get into Safe Mode or
> "Last
> known good configuration".
>
> How can I undo the install if I can't bring up the system?

pokepal101

RE: SP3 installed; now boot fails.
You probably have a registry problem.