Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update

thomwpg

Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update
I have a client who has had to reinstall windows 3 times already. We are not
going to reinstall it again. The user has many many programs which require
hours of configuration.

When going to Windows update, the updates fail with 8000ffff.

I've tried everything to fix this problem, including looking for
HKLM\components, uninstalling 929777. This machine doesn't have 4 GB of RAM;
tried resetting permissions (file and registry).

Can someone please advise how to fix this? This is extremely frustrating for
the user and for IT people who must support this operating system.
Shenan Stanley

Re: Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update
thomwpg wrote:
> I have a client who has had to reinstall windows 3 times already.
> We are not going to reinstall it again. The user has many many
> programs which require hours of configuration.
>
> When going to Windows update, the updates fail with 8000ffff.
>
> I've tried everything to fix this problem, including looking for
> HKLM\components, uninstalling 929777. This machine doesn't have 4
> GB of RAM; tried resetting permissions (file and registry).
>
> Can someone please advise how to fix this? This is extremely
> frustrating for the user and for IT people who must support this
> operating system.

If the 'client' has a configuration that is so complicated - why has their
IT support not made a backup image of the computer so the configuration is
safely stored in the image and can easily be completely re-applied without
trouble by just about anyone (the entire system is basically snapshotted and
replaced by the image in-time of the completed system.)

Is this what you are thinking we guessed you tried?
http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/913668.htm

And/or:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414

Seems one suggestion is to hide the update...
"This will resolve the error but, IF the system does NOT or will NOT have
3GB of RAM installed, then suggest you Hide the update the next time it
is offered: http://www.petri.co.il/hide_updates_windows_vista.htm"

Otherwise - you may want to:

Start a free support incident (trouble with updates):
https://support.microsoft.com/common...kflow&rdpath=1

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update
Is the computer running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2 right now? (Just a
question, not a recommendation!)

Error when you download updates using Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
8000FFFF:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414/en-us

Your client has lots & lots of company (95 posts - 73 authors):
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-11440418008f

Have you ever opened a free support incident about this?

security updates.

Support for Windows Update:

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

thomwpg wrote:
> I have a client who has had to reinstall windows 3 times already. We are
> not
> going to reinstall it again. The user has many many programs which
> require
> hours of configuration.
>
> When going to Windows update, the updates fail with 8000ffff.
>
> I've tried everything to fix this problem, including looking for
> HKLM\components, uninstalling 929777. This machine doesn't have 4 GB of
> RAM;
> tried resetting permissions (file and registry).
>
> Can someone please advise how to fix this? This is extremely frustrating
> for
> the user and for IT people who must support this operating system.

thomwpg

Re: Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update
Thanks Shenan for the response. The client does have an imaging system,
however, it does not go back far enough. The images which are differential in
nature take up a lot of space (and space is at a premium) and the client in
question has installed programs every few days.

I've tried all the suggestions you mentioned. At this point I'm reticent to
start an MS support incident since the last time it resulted in a reinstall
(which just occurred six months ago), but eventually that will have to be
attempted.

Cheers.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> thomwpg wrote:
> > I have a client who has had to reinstall windows 3 times already.
> > We are not going to reinstall it again. The user has many many
> > programs which require hours of configuration.
> >
> > When going to Windows update, the updates fail with 8000ffff.
> >
> > I've tried everything to fix this problem, including looking for
> > HKLM\components, uninstalling 929777. This machine doesn't have 4
> > GB of RAM; tried resetting permissions (file and registry).
> >
> > Can someone please advise how to fix this? This is extremely
> > frustrating for the user and for IT people who must support this
> > operating system.

> If the 'client' has a configuration that is so complicated - why has their
> IT support not made a backup image of the computer so the configuration is
> safely stored in the image and can easily be completely re-applied without
> trouble by just about anyone (the entire system is basically snapshotted and
> replaced by the image in-time of the completed system.)
>
> Is this what you are thinking we guessed you tried?
> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/913668.htm
>
> And/or:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414
>
> Seems one suggestion is to hide the update...
> "This will resolve the error but, IF the system does NOT or will NOT have
> 3GB of RAM installed, then suggest you Hide the update the next time it
> is offered: http://www.petri.co.il/hide_updates_windows_vista.htm"
>

> Otherwise - you may want to:
>
> Start a free support incident (trouble with updates):
> https://support.microsoft.com/common...kflow&rdpath=1
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

thomwpg

Re: Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update
Hi PA Bear, thanks for the response. I tried all the suggestions you
mentioned already but I appreciate your help.

The computer is running SP1 and no updates are installing. Currently there
are about 20 or so updates outstanding. I've tried installing one at a time;
downloading the update, etc. to no avail. SP2 won't install at this point
either.

I guess I'm going to have to open up an MS support incident.

Cheers.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is the computer running Vista, Vista SP1, or Vista SP2 right now? (Just a
> question, not a recommendation!)
>
> Error when you download updates using Windows Update or Microsoft Update:
> 8000FFFF:
>
> Your client has lots & lots of company (95 posts - 73 authors):
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...3-11440418008f
>
> Have you ever opened a free support incident about this?

> security updates.
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net
>

> thomwpg wrote:
> > I have a client who has had to reinstall windows 3 times already. We are
> > not
> > going to reinstall it again. The user has many many programs which
> > require
> > hours of configuration.
> >
> > When going to Windows update, the updates fail with 8000ffff.
> >
> > I've tried everything to fix this problem, including looking for
> > HKLM\components, uninstalling 929777. This machine doesn't have 4 GB of
> > RAM;
> > tried resetting permissions (file and registry).
> >
> > Can someone please advise how to fix this? This is extremely frustrating
> > for
> > the user and for IT people who must support this operating system.

Re: Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update
Don't start another support incident, reopen the earlier one & tell them
you're not willing to do another clean install. (You'll need your SRX
number.)

thomwpg wrote:
> Thanks Shenan for the response. The client does have an imaging system,
> however, it does not go back far enough. The images which are differential
> in nature take up a lot of space (and space is at a premium) and the
> client
> in question has installed programs every few days.
>
> I've tried all the suggestions you mentioned. At this point I'm reticent
> start an MS support incident since the last time it resulted in a
> reinstall
> (which just occurred six months ago), but eventually that will have to be
> attempted.
>
> Cheers.
>

> "Shenan Stanley" wrote:
>
>> thomwpg wrote:
>>> I have a client who has had to reinstall windows 3 times already.
>>> We are not going to reinstall it again. The user has many many
>>> programs which require hours of configuration.
>>>
>>> When going to Windows update, the updates fail with 8000ffff.
>>>
>>> I've tried everything to fix this problem, including looking for
>>> HKLM\components, uninstalling 929777. This machine doesn't have 4
>>> GB of RAM; tried resetting permissions (file and registry).
>>>
>>> Can someone please advise how to fix this? This is extremely
>>> frustrating for the user and for IT people who must support this
>>> operating system.

>> If the 'client' has a configuration that is so complicated - why has
>> their
>> IT support not made a backup image of the computer so the configuration
>> is
>> safely stored in the image and can easily be completely re-applied
>> without
>> trouble by just about anyone (the entire system is basically snapshotted
>> and replaced by the image in-time of the completed system.)
>>
>> Is this what you are thinking we guessed you tried?
>> http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/913668.htm
>>
>> And/or:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946414
>>
>> Seems one suggestion is to hide the update...
>> "This will resolve the error but, IF the system does NOT or will NOT have
>> 3GB of RAM installed, then suggest you Hide the update the next time it
>> is offered: http://www.petri.co.il/hide_updates_windows_vista.htm"
>>

>> Otherwise - you may want to:
>>
>> Start a free support incident (trouble with updates):
>> https://support.microsoft.com/common...kflow&rdpath=1
>>
>> --
>> Shenan Stanley
>> MS-MVP
>> --
>> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

MowGreen

Re: Vista Premium 32 bit 8000ffff Windows update
This issue is related to either missing or mismatched
files/packages/hashs in WinSxS and/or incorrect information in the registry.

You can try running sfc /scannow, which rarely resolves the error, try
an "in-place upgrade", which rarely resolves the error, then try the
System Update Readiness Tool [CheckSUR ] and hope that it resolves the
error or, go over the log it creates to find the specific location[s]
where the issue exists and then edit the registry to delete the
incorrect registry subkeys. [WINDOWS\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.log]

Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista, for
Windows Server 2008, for Windows Server 2008 R2 Release Candidate, and
for Windows 7 Release Candidate
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947821

As an alternative, you can go over the CBS.log located at
WINDOWS\Logs\CBS, starting at the bottom of the log and work your way up
until you locate the 8000ffff error. However, the CBS.log can be humongous.

As a point of reference to this and other "unresolvable" Vista update
errors, such as 80070490, see:

How to overcome error 0x80070490 when installing updates in Windows
Vista/Server 2008
http://blogs.msdn.com/andrekl/archiv...#ReferenceInfo

Needless to say, back up any registry subkeys before deleting them.

The question remains though ... why does it keep reoccurring ?
The July release of CheckSUR should resolve this error, key word being
should.

HTH,

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY