Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

windows update fail !!

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2009
smash2oo9
 

Posts: n/a
windows update fail !!
just installed xp pro..when i go to the windows update page, it does not
load. just loads to google ! any ideas ??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2009
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows update fail !!
smash2oo9 wrote:
> just installed xp pro..when i go to the windows update page, it
> does not load. just loads to google ! any ideas ??


You likely got infested with malware...

Start button --> RUN (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on your
keyboard) --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
if you wish.

Download and run the MSRT manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

Reboot.

Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en

and...

Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
--> Click OK.

(If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...

Reboot.

Then follow the instructions here:

How do I reset Windows Update components?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

and..

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it. You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates
(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
time.

The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2009
smash2oo9
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows update fail !!
right...scanned an deleted ! and as far downloading anything off microsoft,
all a get is the page cannot not be displayed !
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2009
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows update fail !!
smash2oo9 wrote:
> just installed xp pro..when i go to the windows update page, it
> does not load. just loads to google ! any ideas ??


Shenan Stanley wrote:
> You likely got infested with malware...
>
> Start button --> RUN (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on
> your keyboard) --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the
> general (Operating System name) while the line starting with the
> word "version" will give you the rest of the story. Post both in
> response to this message verbatim. ;-)
>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately)
> with the following two applications (freeware versions are the ones
> to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and
> removing whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall
> these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Download and run the MSRT manually:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>
> Reboot.
>
> Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
> ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>
> and...
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here
> (x86): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> ... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to
> the root of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
> --> Click OK.
>
> (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and
> click on NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>
> Reboot.
>
> Then follow the instructions here:
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> and..
>
> Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet
> Explorer and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select
> to do a CUSTOM scan... (Every time you are about to click on
> something while at these web pages - first press and hold down the
> CTRL key while you click on it. You can release the CTRL key after
> clicking each time.)
>
> Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority
> updates (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than
> 3-5 at a time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I
> recommend against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office
> Live" ones for
> now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also
> - I do not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at
> this time.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> ... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.


smash2oo9 wrote:
> right...scanned an deleted ! and as far downloading anything off
> microsoft, all a get is the page cannot not be displayed !


Check your HOSTS file and perhaps let me in on the secret of running
everything in that post in less than 37 minutes... ;-)

Did you have any errors updating the Windows Update agen? What about the
Windows Installer?

Also - please return with the answers to the queries (with instructions how
to obtain the answers) as that may help troubleshoot.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2009
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows update fail !!
smash2oo9 wrote:
> just installed xp pro..when i go to the windows update page, it
> does not load. just loads to google ! any ideas ??


Shenan Stanley wrote:
> You likely got infested with malware...
>
> Start button --> RUN (no "RUN"? Press the "Windows Key" + R on
> your keyboard) --> type in:
> winver
> --> Click OK.
>
> The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the
> general (Operating System name) while the line starting with the
> word "version" will give you the rest of the story. Post both in
> response to this message verbatim. ;-)
>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately)
> with the following two applications (freeware versions are the ones
> to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and
> removing whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall
> these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Download and run the MSRT manually:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>
> Reboot.
>
> Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
> ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>
> and...
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here
> (x86): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> ... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to
> the root of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
> --> Click OK.
>
> (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and
> click on NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>
> Reboot.
>
> Then follow the instructions here:
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> and..
>
> Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet
> Explorer and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select
> to do a CUSTOM scan... (Every time you are about to click on
> something while at these web pages - first press and hold down the
> CTRL key while you click on it. You can release the CTRL key after
> clicking each time.)
>
> Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority
> updates (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than
> 3-5 at a time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I
> recommend against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office
> Live" ones for
> now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also
> - I do not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at
> this time.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> ... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.


smash2oo9 wrote:
> right...scanned an deleted ! and as far downloading anything off
> microsoft, all a get is the page cannot not be displayed !


Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Check your HOSTS file and perhaps let me in on the secret of running
> everything in that post in less than 37 minutes... ;-)
>
> Did you have any errors updating the Windows Update agen? What
> about the Windows Installer?
>
> Also - please return with the answers to the queries (with
> instructions how to obtain the answers) as that may help
> troubleshoot.


I forgot to mention...

If you cannot use that computer to download the files - use another and get
the files to that computer in whatever way you can.

You should do all of that on all computers on your LAN (Local Area Network)
and if you have a Cable Modem/DSL/etc router - reset it to defaults and set
it up clean *after* cleaning up the machines.

If you are infested - likely all your machines are infested and it could
have changed settings on your router as well (to redirect traffic.)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: windows update fail !!
Your WinXP computer is still infected and a(nother) Repair Install is not
going to fix it!

smash2oo9 wrote:
> just installed xp pro..when i go to the windows update page, it does not
> load. just loads to google ! any ideas ??


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fail windows update ttk microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 05-08-2009 13:59
Windows update fail flavorfreak microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 10-06-2008 18:56
Windows Update & wuauserv fail marvinmycat microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 09-23-2008 16:48
windows update always fail Lily microsoft.public.windowsupdate 3 07-03-2008 16:53
windows update fail widowjones microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 06-20-2008 07:22




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 19:05.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120