Update Repeats

My windows xp sp3 automatically updated "Security Update for Microsoft XML
Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)", but when it was installed, my
update showed it was not being installed! I've manually downloaded this
installation file and installed it. But the same thing happened again, when I
clicked the high priority updates it appeared again. Help me how to solve
this problem please! Thank you
Shenan Stanley

Re: Update Repeats
Update Repeats wrote:
> My windows xp sp3 automatically updated "Security Update for
> Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB954430)", but
> when it was installed, my update showed it was not being installed!
> I've manually downloaded this installation file and installed it.
> But the same thing happened again, when I clicked the high priority
> updates it appeared again. Help me how to solve this problem
> please! Thank you

For faster resolution, you may wish to search for the answer to your problem
using the newsgroup search features/google groups/just google for the
keywords of your problem in the future.

Having said that - I'll add to the number of returns you might get with the
proper keywords...

Viewing the Knowledge Base Article for the update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430

Under "Known issues with this security update", you might read this:
"This security update may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft
Update or on Windows Update if one of the system files is corrupted or if it
has not been updated correctly. For more information about this issue, click
the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:
[941729] Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

Which naturally leads you here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941729/

Titled: "Security updates for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
may repeatedly appear in the update list on Microsoft Update or on Windows
Update"

With this simple resolution:

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. At the command prompt, type
ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old
and then press ENTER.
**Note** After you press ENTER, you may receive the following
error message. "Cannot find the file specified."
Ignore this message, and go to step 3.
3. At the command prompt, type exit, and then press ENTER.
4. Visit the following Microsoft Web site:
http://www.update.microsoft.com
5. Download and then install the latest MSXML security update.

Try that - let everyone here know if it works so it can be added to the many
indefinitely archived postings about this same issue and those who might
search some time in the future may resolve their problem more quickly and
easily.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP