Re: ActiveX Not Working After KB896688 (MS05-052)

missy no clue

Re: ActiveX Not Working After KB896688 (MS05-052)
Please help, my computer is having a nervous breakdown after downloading
KB896688 (MS05-052). Active X is not working, I keep getting errors, shut
downs, black, blue screens,crashes and freezes! Nothing is working right ,so
how do I fix it?

"Lawrence Garvin [MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> use this capability. In some cases, those "developers" are Microsoft, and
> I'm sure they're actively working on those fixes right now -- now that
> /they/ have the patched software as well.
>
> In the meantime, though, KB870669 contains guidance on how to 'workaround'
> this new limitation.
>
> As for your reference to the "dimwits at Microsoft", etc. etc. -- that whole
> paragraph was totally out of line. Had you been a party to this thread who
> was trying to get a fix, it might have been one thing. But, since you
> 'dropped in' from nowhere, the entire post is really unnecessary,
> inappropriate, and pointless.
>
> As for the "they publish insecure software...", let it be said again, for
> the gazillionth time... EVERYBODY publishes insecure software, and I'd bet a
> year's salary that anything you wrote and published would have an insecurity
> found within a day of being released. The question is.... does anybody care
> to analyze and exploit an insecurity you put in your software, or would they
> rather analyze and exploit a security bug in the most popular software in
> the world.
>
> As for the "...they blame everybody else for their mistakes".... I don't see
> where anybody is blaming anybody for anything. A security flaw was
> identified; it was fixed. The security repair caused some things to break
> that were taking advantage of an insecure technology. It happens.
>
> Finally... as for the snide comment about MVPs, or, considering the
> alternative the personal attack implied by that comment, just remember that
> it's the /MVP/s who are contributing to the solutions in these public
> newsgroups. Be careful of where you point your flame gun, lest you set your
> only exit on fire.
>
> I offered a very direct, objective, and honest statement about what would
> need to be done as a result of this change in the accessibility of some COM
> functionality in Internet Explorer. I really don't see where it warranted
> the tone of your response, except that, perhaps, you're just looking for
> someplace to 'vent'.
>

> "kgstrong" <kgstrong@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Lawrence Garvin [MVP] wrote:
> >> What the current patch does is plug a security hole that's existed for a
> >> very long time, and that several applications have "taken advantage" of.
> >>
> >> It's not Microsoft hat needs to come out with an alternative patch, but
> >> the application developers to rewrite their applicatons to operate in the
> >> now /secured/ mode.
> >>

> > Uh, EXCUSE ME, but the main applications that do not work after KB896688
> > are MICROSOFT UPDATE and ADD/REMOVE Programs!!!
> >
> > The dimwits at Microsoft need to clean up their own act before they
> > inflict their incompetence on the rest of us. They publish insecure
> > software and then blame everyone else for their mistakes!
> >
> > MVP, my ass!

Re: ActiveX Not Working After KB896688 (MS05-052)
To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

missy no clue wrote:
> Please help, my computer is having a nervous breakdown after downloading
> KB896688 (MS05-052). Active X is not working, I keep getting errors, shut
> downs, black, blue screens,crashes and freezes! Nothing is working right
> ,so how do I fix it?

<snip posts in hijacked thread>