Re: IE 8 a priority update?

[Crosspost to IE General and Windows Update newsgroups for wider exposure]

Just like when IE7 was released to WinXP in 2006, MS identifies IE8 as a
High Priority update for WinXP & higher due to its enhanced security.

To remove the "nag" to install IE8 (which would require your explicit
approval in the first place):

1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
(Stopping the service will take a moment)

2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:

Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
Open the Download folder and delete its contents
Close the window.

3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
again").

4. Start the Automatic Updates service:

Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
(Starting the service will take a moment)

RickCP wrote:
> Hi There:
> I wonder why "Automatic Updates" shows Internet Explorer 8 as a Priority
> security update for my Windows XP Home Edition SP3?? I use IE 7.
> From 2 weeks ago, everyday when I turn on the machine and sign in, there
> is
> the yellow shield in the task bar advising me that: "Windows found updates
> for the system..." and when I choose "personalized install" to allow me
> see
> what the updates are, it is only "Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP". The
> question is why it shows it as a "High Priority Update"? and if I uncheck
> it
> - not to be installed, it continues coming up every time I turn on the
> system and the yellow shield is kept in the task bar. The update (IE8) is
> already downloaded and ready to be installed. Why? Anyone knows?
> Regards,
> RickCP

Rich

Re: IE 8 a priority update?
There is alsoa registry patch from Microsoft Update that will block the IE8
update.

See:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm

> [Crosspost to IE General and Windows Update newsgroups for wider exposure]
>
> Just like when IE7 was released to WinXP in 2006, MS identifies IE8 as a
> High Priority update for WinXP & higher due to its enhanced security.
>
> To remove the "nag" to install IE8 (which would require your explicit
> approval in the first place):
>
> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>
> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> Close the window.
>
> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> again").
>
> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>
> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> (Starting the service will take a moment)
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> RickCP wrote:
>> Hi There:
>> I wonder why "Automatic Updates" shows Internet Explorer 8 as a Priority
>> security update for my Windows XP Home Edition SP3?? I use IE 7.
>> From 2 weeks ago, everyday when I turn on the machine and sign in, there
>> is
>> the yellow shield in the task bar advising me that: "Windows found
>> updates
>> for the system..." and when I choose "personalized install" to allow me
>> see
>> what the updates are, it is only "Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP".
>> The
>> question is why it shows it as a "High Priority Update"? and if I uncheck
>> it
>> - not to be installed, it continues coming up every time I turn on the
>> system and the yellow shield is kept in the task bar. The update (IE8) is
>> already downloaded and ready to be installed. Why? Anyone knows?
>> Regards,
>> RickCP

Re: IE 8 a priority update?
True, but why go messing around in the Registry when (1) you can permanently
"hide" it or (2) simply not approve the installation?

PS: Blocking the installation of IE8 will not remove the installer that's
already been downloaded by Automatic Updates.

Rich wrote:
> There is alsoa registry patch from Microsoft Update that will block the
> IE8
> update.
>
> See:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> [Crosspost to IE General and Windows Update newsgroups for wider
>> exposure]
>>
>> Just like when IE7 was released to WinXP in 2006, MS identifies IE8 as a
>> High Priority update for WinXP & higher due to its enhanced security.
>>
>> To remove the "nag" to install IE8 (which would require your explicit
>> approval in the first place):
>>
>> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
>> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
>>
>> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
>> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
>> Close the window.
>>
>> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
>> complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
>> again").
>>
>> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
>>
>> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
>> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
>> (Starting the service will take a moment)
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> RickCP wrote:
>>> Hi There:
>>> I wonder why "Automatic Updates" shows Internet Explorer 8 as a Priority
>>> security update for my Windows XP Home Edition SP3?? I use IE 7.
>>> From 2 weeks ago, everyday when I turn on the machine and sign in, there
>>> is
>>> the yellow shield in the task bar advising me that: "Windows found
>>> updates
>>> for the system..." and when I choose "personalized install" to allow me
>>> see
>>> what the updates are, it is only "Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP".
>>> The
>>> question is why it shows it as a "High Priority Update"? and if I
>>> uncheck
>>> it
>>> - not to be installed, it continues coming up every time I turn on the
>>> system and the yellow shield is kept in the task bar. The update (IE8)
>>> is
>>> already downloaded and ready to be installed. Why? Anyone knows?
>>> Regards,
>>> RickCP

Joel

Re: IE 8 a priority update?
I tried this but when I get to step 3 for the windows update website, when I
try to go to the website it automatically opens Windows Update in the control
panel and the website page says to use my Start Menu to check for updates.

I can't get to an option where I can uncheck IE8 and select "Don't show me
this update again". Is there another way to do this or will I have to try
the registry option. I don't really want to mess with the registry if I
don't have to but I am tired of seeing the IE8 update notice. IE8 sucks! I
can't get it to work with Outlook Web access. And that is not an acceptable
option.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> True, but why go messing around in the Registry when (1) you can permanently
> "hide" it or (2) simply not approve the installation?
>
> PS: Blocking the installation of IE8 will not remove the installer that's
> already been downloaded by Automatic Updates.
>

> Rich wrote:
> > There is alsoa registry patch from Microsoft Update that will block the
> > IE8
> > update.
> >
> > See:
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> [Crosspost to IE General and Windows Update newsgroups for wider
> >> exposure]
> >>
> >> Just like when IE7 was released to WinXP in 2006, MS identifies IE8 as a
> >> High Priority update for WinXP & higher due to its enhanced security.
> >>
> >> To remove the "nag" to install IE8 (which would require your explicit
> >> approval in the first place):
> >>
> >> 1. Stop the Automatic Updates service:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Stop
> >> (Stopping the service will take a moment)
> >>
> >> 2. Delete the contents of the Download folder:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) %windir%\SoftwareDistribution > [OK]
> >> Open the Download folder and delete its contents
> >> Close the window.
> >>
> >> 3. Go to Windows Update website | Select CUSTOM and allow the scan to
> >> complete | Uncheck/deselect IE8 and hide it ("Don't show me this update
> >> again").
> >>
> >> 4. Start the Automatic Updates service:
> >>
> >> Start > Run > (type in) services.msc > [OK]
> >> Double-click Automatic Updates > Click on Start
> >> (Starting the service will take a moment)
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: IE 8 a priority update?
This thread's about IE8 and WinXP, Joel. You're running Vista.

To avoid confusion, please begin a new thread about your specific problems.
State your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP2)
in your first post.

Joel wrote:
> I tried this but when I get to step 3 for the windows update website, when
> try to go to the website it automatically opens Windows Update in the
> control panel and the website page says to use my Start Menu to check for
> updates.
>
> I can't get to an option where I can uncheck IE8 and select "Don't show me
> this update again". Is there another way to do this or will I have to try
> the registry option. I don't really want to mess with the registry if I
> don't have to but I am tired of seeing the IE8 update notice. IE8 sucks!
> can't get it to work with Outlook Web access. And that is not an
> acceptable
> option.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> True, but why go messing around in the Registry when (1) you can
>> permanently "hide" it or (2) simply not approve the installation?
>>
>> PS: Blocking the installation of IE8 will not remove the installer that's
>> already been downloaded by Automatic Updates.
>>

>> Rich wrote:
>>> There is alsoa registry patch from Microsoft Update that will block the
>>> IE8
>>> update.
>>>
>>> See:
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...playlang=en&tm

RickCP

Re: IE 8 a priority update?
Hi PA Bear,
Sorry but I don't know where to ask this which not related to this specific
thread (which already solved/answered by you back in June) but to "General
Procedures Questions" in the Discussion Groups. Perhaps you can show me where
to go...

1) On my latest Notification e-mails received (6 or 7), the "Read and rate
the response" link opens only a blank page, i.e. does not go directly to the
added response in the discussion group ?

2) On My Profile, I don't see a botton "Show all my notifications" to
display the rest of the threads that I have requested notifications for ?

Apreciate your assistance.
Regards,
RickCP.
--
RickCP Windows XP Home Edition SP3

Re: IE 8 a priority update?
You're seeing the unreliability of accessing these newsgroups via the
web-interface and its email notifications feature that seldom if ever works.
(I don't even receive email notifications when I post via the
web-interface.)

Access MS newsgroups via your default newsreader (e.g., Outlook Express;
Windows Mail) instead:

Setting up Outlook Express to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/ou...snewreader.htm

Setting up Windows Mail (Vista) to access Microsoft newsgroups
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/mi...-windows-mail/

RickCP wrote:
> Hi PA Bear
> Sorry but I don't know where to ask this which not related to this
> specific
> thread (which already solved/answered by you back in June) but to "General
> Procedures Questions" in the Discussion Groups. Perhaps you can show me
> where to go...
>
> 1) On my latest Notification e-mails received (6 or 7), the "Read and rate
> the response" link opens only a blank page, i.e. does not go directly to
> the
> added response in the discussion group ?
>
> 2) On My Profile, I don't see a botton "Show all my notifications" to
> display the rest of the threads that I have requested notifications for ?
>
> Apreciate your assistance.
> Regards,
> RickCP.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 8 a priority update?

"RickCP" <RickCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A5226CD-A7A1-4683-98C3-B092A2D74C7A@microsoft.com...

> 1) On my latest Notification e-mails received (6 or 7), the "Read and rate
> the response" link opens only a blank page, i.e. does not go directly to the
> added response in the discussion group ?

The usability of that feature seems to depend on the portal you are using
to access this instance of the web interface for newsgroups.

It sort of works for me with this one:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US

E.g. I do get a notification if I request one and if there is a subsequent
post in that thread/discussion. However, if I am not logged in with a
Live ID the first one prompts for that, rarely redirects correctly but then
the second one does at least put me in the right thread. YMMV.

In any case, for all examples of the problem symptom you are reporting
that I have seen, the user could have constructed the necessary URL
that the redirect should have provided, from the links in the notification.
The only real difficulty some may have doing that is converting escaped
hex strings to the appropriate ASCII characters. E.g. replace %3D by
an equal sign (=). Use CharMap to assist with that for other cases.

> 2) On My Profile, I don't see a botton "Show all my notifications" to
> display the rest of the threads that I have requested notifications for ?

That may be another difference in portal. In here there's a list at bottom:
Threads I've signed up for:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...spx?sloc=en-us

Heh. The last one I have in there is dated 2005. I guess I can delete
that now. I'll try requesting notification in your thread even though I am
posting this via NNTP.

Post some URLs if you still need help.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 8 a priority update?

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:ORndl6uBKHA.4608@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...

> "RickCP" <RickCP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A5226CD-A7A1-4683-98C3-B092A2D74C7A@microsoft.com...
>

>> 1) On my latest Notification e-mails received (6 or 7), the "Read and rate
>> the response" link opens only a blank page, i.e. does not go directly to the
>> added response in the discussion group ?

> The usability of that feature seems to depend on the portal you are using
> to access this instance of the web interface for newsgroups.
>
> It sort of works for me with this one:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...&lang=en&cr=US
>
> E.g. I do get a notification if I request one and if there is a subsequent
> post in that thread/discussion. However, if I am not logged in with a
> Live ID the first one prompts for that, rarely redirects correctly but then
> the second one does at least put me in the right thread. YMMV.
>
> In any case, for all examples of the problem symptom you are reporting
> that I have seen, the user could have constructed the necessary URL
> that the redirect should have provided, from the links in the notification.
> The only real difficulty some may have doing that is converting escaped
> hex strings to the appropriate ASCII characters. E.g. replace %3D by
> an equal sign (=). Use CharMap to assist with that for other cases.
>

>> 2) On My Profile, I don't see a botton "Show all my notifications" to
>> display the rest of the threads that I have requested notifications for ?

> That may be another difference in portal. In here there's a list at bottom:
> Threads I've signed up for:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...spx?sloc=en-us
>
> Heh. The last one I have in there is dated 2005. I guess I can delete
> that now.

> I'll try requesting notification in your thread even though I am
> posting this via NNTP.

That worked fine.

REPOST: