update failure

Donald Eagle

update failure
I posted the message below from Motzarella yesterday. Apparently it did not
appear, so I am trying again from a different server. I hope this works and
I haven't double posted.

I run XP Home, SP3, with Avast anti-virus, Zone Alarm free, Windows Defender
, MalwareBytes, Spyware Blaster and other anti-malware software. A few days
ago, I noticed that I was being notified about Windows updates, but they did
not seem to be downloading and installing. I cannot download updates either
automatically or manually from the Windows Update website. The error code I
get is 0x80246008 . A Google search leads me to a MS document that tells me
that I need to run services.msc and verify that BITS is correctly
configured. When I try to do that, I cannot start BITS. I get error 126,
module cannot be found. MS does not give me any correcting procedure for
that errror. Can anyone here help? Everything worked fine up until Tuesday
of this week.
--
Don Eagle
To reply personally, drop the Latin "not more"

Re: update failure
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection (i.e., infections that cannot be detected by your AV app, MBAM,
and/or anti-spware applications, which, in fact, may be totally disabled due
to the infections)!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as well.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

Donald Eagle wrote:
> I posted the message below from Motzarella yesterday. Apparently it did
> not
> appear, so I am trying again from a different server. I hope this works
> and
> I haven't double posted.
>
> I run XP Home, SP3, with Avast anti-virus, Zone Alarm free, Windows
> Defender
> , MalwareBytes, Spyware Blaster and other anti-malware software. A few
> days
> ago, I noticed that I was being notified about Windows updates, but they
> did
> not seem to be downloading and installing. I cannot download updates
> either
> automatically or manually from the Windows Update website. The error code
> get is 0x80246008 . A Google search leads me to a MS document that tells
> me
> that I need to run services.msc and verify that BITS is correctly
> configured. When I try to do that, I cannot start BITS. I get error 126,
> module cannot be found. MS does not give me any correcting procedure for
> that errror. Can anyone here help? Everything worked fine up until
> Tuesday
> of this week.

TaurArian

RE: update failure
You may receive an error message that contains the "0x8DDD0018" code or the
"0x80246008" code when you try to download updates from the Microsoft Windows
Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/910337

You receive an error message when you try to download updates from the
Windows Update Web site or from the Microsoft Update Web site, or when you
try to start the Background Intelligent Transfer Service
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916251/en-us?spid=6527

You receive a "The necessary services are disabled or unavailable" error
message when you connect to the Microsoft Windows Update Web site or to the
Microsoft Update Web site
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883822

guarantees and doesn''''t give any rights.

"Donald Eagle" wrote:

> I posted the message below from Motzarella yesterday. Apparently it did not
> appear, so I am trying again from a different server. I hope this works and
> I haven't double posted.
>
> I run XP Home, SP3, with Avast anti-virus, Zone Alarm free, Windows Defender
> , MalwareBytes, Spyware Blaster and other anti-malware software. A few days
> ago, I noticed that I was being notified about Windows updates, but they did
> not seem to be downloading and installing. I cannot download updates either
> automatically or manually from the Windows Update website. The error code I
> get is 0x80246008 . A Google search leads me to a MS document that tells me
> that I need to run services.msc and verify that BITS is correctly
> configured. When I try to do that, I cannot start BITS. I get error 126,
> module cannot be found. MS does not give me any correcting procedure for
> that errror. Can anyone here help? Everything worked fine up until Tuesday
> of this week.
> --
> Don Eagle
> To reply personally, drop the Latin "not more"

Donald Eagle

Re: update failure
Thank you, Robear, for the prompt reply. My AV is up to date, and still
updates itself automatically. My machine was fully patched at Windows
Update until this problem occurred. The only update I refused was IE8.

I'm sorry about the delay in replying, but running MSRT and Onecare
protection was a struggle. Each took 3 to 4 hours to run, and both failed 3
times with BSODs. The error messages varied. from IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN to
PFN_LIST_CORRUPTED to one PAGE fault. I finally got both to run through
over successive nights from Safe Mode with Networking, but my DSL modem
turned off after the software started. MSRT found no problems. In one of
the failed protection scans, Onecare told me drive C: was clear, but Drive
D: had 3 infected items and one other problem whose message I have
forgotten. When Onecare did finish last night, it said it had fixed some
problems, but did not say what they were.

I still can't download updates from MS Updates because the BITS module
cannot be found. I can download anti-spyware updates other than Windows
Defender, and Avast AV still updates automatically.

The registry key mentioned in TaurArian's reference does exist.

I guess later today I will see if I understand the help enough to run
Hijackthis software.

Thanks again.
--

> [...]
>> , MalwareBytes, Spyware Blaster and other anti-malware software. A few
>> days
>> ago, I noticed that I was being notified about Windows updates, but they
>> did
>> not seem to be downloading and installing. I cannot download updates
>> either
>> automatically or manually from the Windows Update website. The error
>> code I
>> get is 0x80246008 . A Google search leads me to a MS document that tells
>> me
>> that I need to run services.msc and verify that BITS is correctly
>> configured. When I try to do that, I cannot start BITS. I get error
>> 126,
>> module cannot be found. MS does not give me any correcting procedure for
>> that errror. Can anyone here help? Everything worked fine up until

Re: update failure
Reposting:

Donald Eagle wrote:
> [...]
>>> days
>>> ago, I noticed that I was being notified about Windows updates, but they
>>> did
>>> not seem to be downloading and installing. I cannot download updates
>>> either
>>> automatically or manually from the Windows Update website. The error
>>> code I
>>> get is 0x80246008 . A Google search leads me to a MS document that
>>> tells
>>> me
>>> that I need to run services.msc and verify that BITS is correctly
>>> configured. When I try to do that, I cannot start BITS. I get error
>>> 126,
>>> module cannot be found. MS does not give me any correcting procedure
>>> for
>>> that errror. Can anyone here help? Everything worked fine up until

Donald Eagle

Re: update failure
Output of HijackThis has been put on aumha.net, but no post has yet
appeared.
In following leads from TaurArian's post, I have some new info:
The installation check in the registry to verify installation by displaying
the key ...\hotfix\KB842773 shows that that key does not exist I went to
the download site and downloaded the update KB842773. When I try to install
it, I get a message that I have a newer version as part of a service pack,
presumably SP3, and the installation will not proceed. When I go to the
folder Windows\system32, I do find the dll files listed in the support paper
KB842773. What now? Do I dare add a key to the registry?
--

>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>>>
>>> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
>>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
>>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
>>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>>> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
>>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as
>>> well.**
>>>
>>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in
>>> admitting
>>> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
>>>
>>> =====================
>>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>>
>>> Support for Windows Update:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>>>
>>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
>>> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>>> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
>>> with
>>> security updates.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Tim Meddick

Re: update failure
Because you have the Service Pack, the single Update 'Hotfix' package is
not needed as you yourself have verified the files are present in your
system directory.

The fact that you don't have that particular 'Hotfix' package registered
is neither here nor there as what you do have registered is the fact you
have (presumably) SP3 installed.

As the 'Hotfix' package you are talking about is part of this 'Service
Pack' it makes the need for a multitude of minor fixes *redundant* as
they are part of it [SP3]

==

Cheers, Tim Med****, Peckham, London. :-)

"Donald Eagle" <aguila@ultrasw.com> wrote in message
> Output of HijackThis has been put on aumha.net, but no post has yet
> appeared.
> In following leads from TaurArian's post, I have some new info:
> The installation check in the registry to verify installation by
> displaying the key ...\hotfix\KB842773 shows that that key does not
> exist I went to the download site and downloaded the update
> KB842773. When I try to install it, I get a message that I have a
> newer version as part of a service pack, presumably SP3, and the
> installation will not proceed. When I go to the folder
> Windows\system32, I do find the dll files listed in the support paper
> KB842773. What now? Do I dare add a key to the registry?
> --
> Don Eagle
> To reply personally, drop the Latin "not more"

>> Reposting:
>>> **Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
>>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
>>> http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5,
>>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>>> http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
>>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums as
>>> well.**

>> Donald Eagle wrote:
>>> Thank you, Robear, for the prompt reply. My AV is up to date, and
>>> still
>>> updates itself automatically. My machine was fully patched at
>>> Windows
>>> Update until this problem occurred. The only update I refused was
>>> IE8.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry about the delay in replying, but running MSRT and Onecare
>>> protection was a struggle. Each took 3 to 4 hours to run, and both
>>> failed 3
>>> times with BSODs. The error messages varied. from IRQ_NOT_LESS_THAN
>>> PFN_LIST_CORRUPTED to one PAGE fault. I finally got both to run
>>> through
>>> over successive nights from Safe Mode with Networking, but my DSL
>>> modem
>>> turned off after the software started. MSRT found no problems. In
>>> one of
>>> the failed protection scans, Onecare told me drive C: was clear, but
>>> Drive
>>> D: had 3 infected items and one other problem whose message I have
>>> forgotten. When Onecare did finish last night, it said it had fixed
>>> some
>>> problems, but did not say what they were.
>>>
>>> I still can't download updates from MS Updates because the BITS
>>> module
>>> cannot be found. I can download anti-spyware updates other than
>>> Windows
>>> Defender, and Avast AV still updates automatically.
>>>
>>> The registry key mentioned in TaurArian's reference does exist.
>>>
>>> I guess later today I will see if I understand the help enough to
>>> run
>>> Hijackthis software.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.

Donald Eagle

Re: update failure
This problem goes back 2 weeks, but has been fixed with help from Microsoft.
Thanks to all who replied, and apologies to PA Bear for my senior moment
brain glitch in not reading all the aumha forum requirements. Why I stopped
at item 5, I do not know. Anyway, what fixed the background update (BITS)
problem was the following procedure from Sean Qiu:

Based on the current situation, the BITS issue can be caused if the related
components are corrupted. I suggest we refer to following steps to reinstall
BITS services.

Step 1: Reinstall the BITS service

==========================

1. Click Start, click Run, type: Inf and press Enter. A folder will be
opened.

2. Locate the file "qmgr.inf" in the opened folder (you can type q to locate
this file), right click on the file and choose "Install".

Note: The file extension ".inf" may be hidden; we may only see the file
named "qmgr".

3. The setup process will try to restore the registry branches
automatically. You may not receive any notification. However, if some files
cannot be located automatically, we will be prompted to select the
installation source. Please click browse, and go to this location:

C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386

If this folder is not available, please choose the folder
C:\Windows\System32.

Step 2: Register BITS related Dll

======================

1. Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 qmgr.dll in the Open box, and then
click OK.

2. Click OK.

3. Click Start, click Run, type Regsvr32 qmgrprxy.dll in the Open box, and
then click OK.

4. Click OK.

5. Click Start, click Run, type cmd and press Enter.

In the Command Prompt window, input the following command. Press Enter after
each command.

Net stop bits (If you receive any error message here, we can safely ignore)

6. Click Start, click Run, in the Command Prompt window, and input the
following commands. Press Enter after each command.

%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Network\Downloader NB: this
did not work.

7. In the open window, delete all files in the open folder directory. NB:
therre were no files displayed here

8. Click Start, click Run, type cmd and press Enter.

In the Command Prompt window, input the following command. Press Enter after
each command.

Net start bits NB: This did start BITS

Note: You can copy each command and right click the command prompt window,
select paste and press Enter to Run.

Step 3: Restart the BITS service

==================================

1. Click Start, click Run and type in "services.msc" (without quotation
marks); click OK.

2. Double-click the service "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".

3. Click on the Log On tab, please ensure the option "Local System account"
is selected and the option "Allow service to interact with desktop" is
unchecked.

4. Check if this service has been enabled on the listed Hardware Profile. If
not, please click the Enable button to enable it.

5. Click on the tab "General "; make sure the "Startup Type" is "Automatic".
Then please click the button "Start" under "Service Status" to start the
service.

BITS starting type was changed to automatic, and this am, it all worked.