RE: Windows Update Error 80071AA7

Otto Seppälä

"David" wrote:

> Please help. I cannot find any information on this error anywhere.
>
> I'm able to download and install the updates and they require a restart.
> During restart, I see the "configuring updates" message prior to the logon
> screen. Somewhere in this process all of the updates fail. Every update
> (the June patches) has the same update error.
>
> I tried reinstalling the updates but the same error occurs.
>
> I'm running Windows Vista Ultimate.

Hello David,

I had the same problem, Vista Home Premium and updates repeatedly failing
with the code 0x80071AA7.

I happened to stumble upon a solution for this (at least in my case) from
this blog post [1]:
http://blog.runonfriday.com/2008/10/...071aa7-solved/

The post explains how the problem can be pinpointed to a specific file
holding back the update by examining the file windows\WindowsUpdate.log

In my case the files occonfig.dll and ocsetup.exe were causing the update to
fail. They also prevented me from installing service pack 2. Following the
instructions in the post did the following.

1) booted into recovery mode (press F8 to get the boot menu during system
startup) and then select the topmost entry
2) when available, chose to enter command prompt.
3) copied the contents from windows\system32 to a temporary directory
4) deleted the files in Windows\System32
5) copied the files back to System32 from the temporary directory

It all seems like black magic, but I assume that the process destroys file
links or file locks that should not be there that are holding back the
installation of the update. (Someone who knows better could explain further)

I did also the chkdsk part suggested on the blog, but in my case chkdsk did
not report any problems.

In any case, the trick worked and I finally could install the updates that
had already failed to install numerous times.

Otto

p.s. The original blog post uses a lot safer mechanism, where the original
file is simply renamed and copied. Using my method resolves all files, but is
a bit riskier.

[1] Windows update error 80071AA7 *solved*,
http://blog.runonfriday.com/2008/10/...071aa7-solved/,
RunOnFriday.com blog, 7.10.2008, Hudson Valley Computer Associates, Inc,
umang

RE: Windows Update Error 80071AA7
if u copy the files (in system32) and then delete system32 and then copy the
files back to system32, what difference does it make?? the files which were
in the folder previously just get copied to the temporary directory and the
nget copied back to the system 32 folder, right?? how does it "repair" the pc?