Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Updates failing - MSI issues?

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2009
petedavo
 

Posts: n/a
Updates failing - MSI issues?
Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the list has
grown to 12 updates so far.

The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep changing.
Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"

affected updates are:
MS Works 8 KB967043
Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
Office 2007:
KB969682
KB969604
KB957789
KB969559
KB969613
KB969679
The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
KB969907
KB970012
KB963677
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2009
petedavo
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Updates failing - MSI issues?
Microsoft Windows Installer could not be accessed. was the first message from
memory, not MSI. sorry for the bad memory.

"petedavo" wrote:

> Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the list has
> grown to 12 updates so far.
>
> The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep changing.
> Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
>
> affected updates are:
> MS Works 8 KB967043
> Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> Office 2007:
> KB969682
> KB969604
> KB957789
> KB969559
> KB969613
> KB969679
> The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> KB969907
> KB970012
> KB963677

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2009
petedavo
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Updates failing - MSI issues?
The fixes I've tried so far are detailed in
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555175
I also turned off antivirus etc etc, and even downloaded the Office SP2
seperately to install. All the same result. No Windows Installer. Even gets
the same message trying to install Silverlight.

"petedavo" wrote:

> Microsoft Windows Installer could not be accessed. was the first message from
> memory, not MSI. sorry for the bad memory.
>
> "petedavo" wrote:
>
> > Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the list has
> > grown to 12 updates so far.
> >
> > The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> > working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep changing.
> > Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
> >
> > affected updates are:
> > MS Works 8 KB967043
> > Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> > Office 2007:
> > KB969682
> > KB969604
> > KB957789
> > KB969559
> > KB969613
> > KB969679
> > The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> > KB969907
> > KB970012
> > KB963677

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2009
jeandi
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Updates failing - MSI issues?
I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

"petedavo" wrote:

> Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the list has
> grown to 12 updates so far.
>
> The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep changing.
> Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
>
> affected updates are:
> MS Works 8 KB967043
> Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> Office 2007:
> KB969682
> KB969604
> KB957789
> KB969559
> KB969613
> KB969679
> The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> KB969907
> KB970012
> KB963677

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2009
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates failing - MSI issues?
petedavo wrote:
> Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the
> list has grown to 12 updates so far.
>
> The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep
> changing. Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
>
> affected updates are:
> MS Works 8 KB967043
> Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> Office 2007:
> KB969682
> KB969604
> KB957789
> KB969559
> KB969613
> KB969679
> The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> KB969907
> KB970012
> KB963677


Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
if you wish.

Then follow the instructions here:

How do I reset Windows Update components?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

and..

*Assuming Windows XP*

Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en

and...

*Assuming Windows XP*

Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
--> Click OK.

(If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...

Reboot.

*Assuming Windows XP*

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it. You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates
(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
time.

The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2009
petedavo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates failing - MSI issues?
I've got two machines with this problem. Both run Vista.
Presario SR5240AN on Vista Home Premium (32 bit) SP3 Office Enterprise 2007
Home use program.
Asus laptop on Business Edition Vista (32 bit) SP3 no office, but with Same
error message for some updates.

I do not have this problem on my old NEC Laptop running XP

Done scans with Spybot, Glary, Advanced System Care. I have comodo internet
security, and tried disabling that too.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> petedavo wrote:
> > Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the
> > list has grown to 12 updates so far.
> >
> > The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> > working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep
> > changing. Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
> >
> > affected updates are:
> > MS Works 8 KB967043
> > Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> > Office 2007:
> > KB969682
> > KB969604
> > KB957789
> > KB969559
> > KB969613
> > KB969679
> > The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> > KB969907
> > KB970012
> > KB963677

>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
> following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
> whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Then follow the instructions here:
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> and..
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
> ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>
> and...
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
> of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
> --> Click OK.
>
> (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
> NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>
> Reboot.
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
> visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
> (Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
> first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it. You can
> release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)
>
> Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates
> (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
> time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
> now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
> not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> .... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2009
petedavo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates failing - MSI issues?
"Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):"

Done this. Got the Vista 32 bit windows installer 4.5 download, but it will
not install.
Gave me an error message saying it wasn't required or something.

Tried installing office2007sp2-kb953195-fullfile-en-us.exe direct but gave
me the error message saying Windows Installer could not be accessed

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> petedavo wrote:
> > Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the
> > list has grown to 12 updates so far.
> >
> > The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> > working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep
> > changing. Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
> >
> > affected updates are:
> > MS Works 8 KB967043
> > Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> > Office 2007:
> > KB969682
> > KB969604
> > KB957789
> > KB969559
> > KB969613
> > KB969679
> > The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> > KB969907
> > KB970012
> > KB963677

>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
> following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
> whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Then follow the instructions here:
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> and..
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
> ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>
> and...
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
> of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
> --> Click OK.
>
> (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
> NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>
> Reboot.
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
> visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
> (Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
> first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it. You can
> release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)
>
> Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates
> (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
> time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
> now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
> not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> .... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2009
petedavo
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates failing - MSI issues?
"How do I reset Windows Update components?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058"
wouldn't work. Error message says that Windows Installer could not be
accessed.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> petedavo wrote:
> > Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the
> > list has grown to 12 updates so far.
> >
> > The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> > working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep
> > changing. Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
> >
> > affected updates are:
> > MS Works 8 KB967043
> > Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> > Office 2007:
> > KB969682
> > KB969604
> > KB957789
> > KB969559
> > KB969613
> > KB969679
> > The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> > KB969907
> > KB970012
> > KB963677

>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
> following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
> whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Then follow the instructions here:
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
> and..
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
> ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>
> and...
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
> of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
> --> Click OK.
>
> (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
> NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>
> Reboot.
>
> *Assuming Windows XP*
>
> Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
> visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
> (Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
> first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it. You can
> release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)
>
> Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates
> (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
> time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
> now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
> not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> .... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Updates failing - MSI issues?
Always state your full Windows version (e.g., Vista SP1; Vista x64 SP2) and
IE version (e.g., IE7) when posting to this newsgroup.

Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is related
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB969682).

Please note that some, but not all, of the updates you list are Security
Updates. However, if you can get, e.g., KB969682 installed with MS's help,
you should be able to get the rest of them installed.

Tip: Get Office 2007 SP2 installed by itself first, if you can.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE, OE, Security, Shell/User)
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net


petedavo wrote:
> Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the list has
> grown to 12 updates so far.
>
> The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep
> changing. Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
>
> affected updates are:
> MS Works 8 KB967043
> Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> Office 2007:
> KB969682
> KB969604
> KB957789
> KB969559
> KB969613
> KB969679
> The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> KB969907
> KB970012
> KB963677


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2009
petedavo
 

Posts: n/a
RE: Updates failing - MSI issues?
No such luck. I've tried just about everything over the last three weeks.
Windows update first came unstuck with the windows installer back in 15 May
2009.
At first I thought it was Comodo Internet Security (Firewall and Antivirus),
but I'm not sure anymore. Tried all the Windows Installer tricks but no luck
as yet.

"jeandi" wrote:

> I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?
>
> "petedavo" wrote:
>
> > Windows update is failing to install a number of updates and the list has
> > grown to 12 updates so far.
> >
> > The first error code when looked up gave a lot of info about MSI not
> > working. None of the dozen odd fixes did anything. Error codes keep changing.
> > Tonight the error code changed to "Updates not required"
> >
> > affected updates are:
> > MS Works 8 KB967043
> > Update for Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack
> > Office 2007:
> > KB969682
> > KB969604
> > KB957789
> > KB969559
> > KB969613
> > KB969679
> > The 2007 Microsoft Office Service Pack 2 (SP2)
> > KB969907
> > KB970012
> > KB963677

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Updates failing 40 to one doodaliedoodalie microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 04-02-2009 04:18
Updates keep failing michele microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 11-13-2008 17:21
Updates are failing DS microsoft.public.windowsupdate 4 10-01-2008 23:11
Updates failing Tim microsoft.public.windowsupdate 16 05-09-2008 21:29
Updates keep failing Sean Liming \(MVP\) microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 8 07-13-2007 17:26




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:48.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120